SVN server, etc

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

SVN server, etc

Post by orudge »

Sorry for the delay with the web site and the SVN server - this week is rather hectic. Hopefully I'll get a free minute tomorrow to get things working. :)
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

On the note of installing things, I was looking at bug tracking software earlier today, which is useful for collaborative working - in most bug trackers you can define features, bugs, improvements to be done for different versions. At the start it would obviously be just features :)

The best ones I've seen are Mantis which runs on PHP/MySQL and JIRA which runs on Java. Both are freely available for open source projects.

Both have different features that the other doesn't have. JIRA looks more usable but needs Java to run (plus an app server if not using the standalone version), whereas Mantis would be much easier to set up on most servers. I've worked on a project that uses Mantis and it works well enough, it's just a bit awkward for me.

What do other people think?

I think as well as the list of things that Hyronymus stated to get things going, we also need to decide some sort of roadmap to a first functional code base (with suitable milestones).
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I would like to vote against using a Java based bug tracker, as I don't allow my browser to load any plugin (this includes Java) so I can't see bug reports which is quite important as I'm a dev.
Anyway, on the subject of SVN: I'm glad we can get it now, finaly we can do some usefull coding :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

XeryusTC wrote:I would like to vote against using a Java based bug tracker, as I don't allow my browser to load any plugin (this includes Java) so I can't see bug reports which is quite important as I'm a dev.
Anyway, on the subject of SVN: I'm glad we can get it now, finaly we can do some usefull coding :).
It's only Java at the server side - you still access it as normal HTML through your web browser - no plugins.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

What about one simmilar to the one on the TTDPatch Wiki (I imagine its actually part of the wiki software though) or flyspray which is what openttd uses for bug tracking.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Can we focus the choice of which SVN software on our needs and not on our preferences. It's maybe a good idea to ask TTD developers and OTTD developers after their experience with SVN software. I would appreciate it if we could make a choice soon.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Hyronymus wrote:Can we focus the choice of which SVN software on our needs and not on our preferences. It's maybe a good idea to ask TTD developers and OTTD developers after their experience with SVN software. I would appreciate it if we could make a choice soon.
Surely there's only one SVN server to choose from? Unless you're talking generally about version control systems.

The rest of this thread nothing to do with SVN, but with bug-tracking software which may be useful when we're working on the code.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AIUI, there are several ways to configure svnserve, from an independent server to an Apache module, from a Berkeley DB to a flat-file DB, &c.
And that's just the reference server implementation. There may well be other implementations of svnserve, of which I am unaware.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

DominionSpy wrote:Surely there's only one SVN server to choose from? Unless you're talking generally about version control systems.

The rest of this thread nothing to do with SVN, but with bug-tracking software which may be useful when we're working on the code.
My bad, I stand corrected :oops: .
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, I plan to implement an svnserve server, ideally early next week when I get home. Sorry for the delay.

Topic locked, [url=svn://zernebok.com/trunk/]SVN server[/url] is up and running (14112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”