What kind of vehicles?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

What kind of vehicles?

Post by Purno »

Ok, AFAICT, we want to know what 3D formats the engine will support to be able to start graphical (3d modelling) work on the vehicles and such, right?

Which makes me come to this point: What vehicles do we want in game? I mean, TT uses British railway locomotives, RRT uses locomotives from all parts of either America or Europe, while LoMo uses locomotives of either the UK, Switzerland or America (IIRC).

What kind of vehicles (not specifically only railway vehicles) do we want to include in the game (by default)?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Whatever the artists feel like making. :wink:
I started with Dutch railway vehicles ages ago, but never finished a set.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It is indeed an option to include whatever artists make. You could have kinda like a LoMo way to be able to enable/disable every individual vehicle.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

From my point of view this is not something we need to know already. As Arathorn said: whatever the artists feels like drawing. Any vehicle, if fitting the standards, can be added to TE.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

But shouldn't we aim for a set of vehicles which is optimized for gameplay?

And I don't see why this shouldn't be discussed now? You should know what vehicles you want before you can put artists to work.
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think I impressed myself in a wrong way. Discussing it now won't harm but it's not something critical. I even think that once the standards for graphics and vehicle data have been set people can start producing ahead (with some risk of course).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You mean making the game takes long enough for artists to model both what they want and what 'we' (as devs) want?
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I fear so, yes.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

First of all, there is no harm in starting modeling now concerning the model format, we can always convert files from one format to the other.
Secondly, I don't really care which nation's trains we have in TE, as long as we have trains :).
Thirdly, modeling takes quite some time, it could be usefull to start working on a bit already :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And remember, TE should support RV's, ships and aircrafts too!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Hyronymus wrote:And remember, TE should support RV's, ships and aircrafts too!
Aren't those just for the guys who belong in a psychiatry?

j/k

Ofcourse we should have those, but most people want to see trains first, that is the main reason people started playing TT I guess. And on that point, we should also balance everything a bit so trains won't become the best method for transportation (again).

Topic locked, where vehicles come from is up to the artists (19112006).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”