It's useful make a third TT-Like game?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Marco
Chairman
Chairman

It's useful make a third TT-Like game?

Post by Marco »

Why don't go to work on 3DTT or SimuTrans instead of make a third TT-Like game?

I know that they aren't GPL, but if we join our knowledge and work on a single game...this game will be better as three different games.
I have lost my original user id for 20842 :(
I am one of the founders of TT-Forums! Partly...
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

maybe .. maybe ... but we want to create somethig between SimuTrans and 3DTT ... 3D like in 3DTT, view like SimuTrans butwith changing camera angle
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:maybe .. maybe ... but we want to create somethig between SimuTrans and 3DTT ... 3D like in 3DTT, view like SimuTrans butwith changing camera angle
And dont forget:
we want to have at least 256colors... unlike the 16colors in simutrans..
Never fear, I is here...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

We want to make the greatest transport game ever and we want it our way, so that's why we make it. Maybe the programmers from Simutrans and TE can learn from each other improving both games.
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

And we want to create an opensource game which is developed by everyone who wants to take part in it..
Its already started on the forum. By building it, but discussing it first on the board, we make the game structure as open as possible.

Anyone can participate and help along.. ! :mrgreen:
Never fear, I is here...
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

Observer wrote:And dont forget:
:lol: you mean '16bits in simutrans' ? :D
256 colors? are you serious Observer? :wink:
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

rein wrote:
Observer wrote:And dont forget:
:lol: you mean '16bits in simutrans' ? :D
256 colors? are you serious Observer? :wink:
16 bit = 65536 colors

Simutrans uses one bit to trigger special treatment (light effects, player colors) so Simutrans effectively uses 32768 base colors plus a set of special colors for special effects.

But most of the images that we currently have are from the era when Simutrans was colormapped 8 bit (= 256 colors) ... it's not the graphics engine that limits the image quality. If you give me super duper high quality images to use in Simutrans, Simutrans will display them in very high quality. Technically Simutrans can display much better image quality than TTD can.

I'm working on a high quality Simutrans demo ATM. I only have very few high quality houses and trees and no good vehicles but maybe this demo will show what could be done with good images. Maybe it will attract some good artists to Simutrans development.

ATM the whole image set of Simutrans is being reworked. In terms of buildings, trees and ground tiles we're on a good path, I think. But we need help with the vehicles.

c.u.
Hajo

http://www.simutrans.de
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

first of all I said: AT LEAST !!
:mrgreen:

second... Transport Tycoon Deluxe is 256 and it looks pretty good I must say.. :D
Never fear, I is here...
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Hajo wrote: I'm working on a high quality Simutrans demo ATM. I only have very few high quality houses and trees and no good vehicles but maybe this demo will show what could be done with good images. Maybe it will attract some good artists to Simutrans development.

ATM the whole image set of Simutrans is being reworked. In terms of buildings, trees and ground tiles we're on a good path, I think. But we need help with the vehicles.
I've put a first screenshot online:
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/misc ... review.png

You can see we're defintely working on an improvement. But you also see there is still lots of work to do. The graphics engine of Simutrans isn't bad, if there are good images it can display them in good quality.

But we need help!
The look of the game stands and falls with the images. There are 1800+ images in Simutrans that need to be reworked. You surely notice that there are only a few different houses in this screenshot, and even some of them are from the old low-quality image set. Shadows are missing at the trees. The ground tiles are very rough. Please help us to create a new high quality image set for Simutrans!

Simutrans as a game is nicely evolving. It was started in 1997 and ATM we are a team of three programmers working on it. There is good progress. You don't need to be afraid that this project might die and your work is just lost - eventually if all project members should discontinue I promised to open the Simutrans sources so that the community can develop it further. But there are no signs of weakness, even if the development team changed several times in the past, progress is currently faster than ever before!
While we probaly will manage to upgrade the houses and ground tiles within the next few months, we definitely need help with the vehicles. They are the most important part of the game and we really need help by skilled people.

If you think you can help, please contact me!

A playable demo with improved images might follow in a few weeks. If there is demand, I can release the current state for testing, but the new image set has no vehicles yet.

c.u.
Hajo

http://www.simutrans de

Please keep in mind that the graphics are being improved but all downlaods on that site still use the old image set.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

how sad I'm not good at graphics .. anyway houses looks great ...
and I just found what I've missed in Simutrans .... SHADOWS ... (houses don't have them ... )
btw. it isn't because of my nick :roll: :roll:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:how sad I'm not good at graphics .. anyway houses looks great ...
and I just found what I've missed in Simutrans .... SHADOWS ... (houses don't have them ... )
btw. it isn't because of my nick :roll: :roll:
8)

You're right, shadows are strongly missing in the new image set. Particularly the trees look odd without shadows. The old set has some shadows. The new image set will get some :)

c.u.
Hajo

Topic locked, really old moot (12112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”