Graphics

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

I'd say Lightwave, because A.) more people use that here, B.) In lightwave, we can convert 3d studio max models to .lwos, C.) someone already has code to use .lwo files in game (I think I heard someone say)
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

I would say that we should go for quake3 map editor - q3radiant.

It is free, fast and easy to learn. Also it is simple with it to add our own textures as well as use of external textures.

The only problem would be converting .map files into tt2 models.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

we only need it for creating objects .. not whole maps
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If Lightwave can read 3D Studio Max-files I should go for Lightwave. 3D Studio is a wide-spread CAD-tool and easy to use. Plus: if you know how to use 3D Studio, you know how to use all the clones too. But keep in mind that one of the game's intents is to be easy-to-modify!
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

ken52787 wrote:SveinT, I don't like the "Transport Empire" printed on the side, but besides that, it looks nice.
IE screwed up...ah just when I had written a quite lenghty post..
Anyway, it was just for fun, needed som more practise with placing bitmaps on polygona using UWV Modifiers...quite a pain... :lol:

Below you see the result of a little more modeling, uses 17 polygons as far as I can count which is a bit less that my previous :wink:
I desperately need textures though (just look at the door :D ). The model uses quite much reflection (sky bitmap), and bump mapping for the windows.

As for what program we want to use...lightwave may have more users here but generally I think 3dsmax has more. I bet there is more information on 3dsmax and gaming too. But if the models are converted flawlessy through LW and there is no disadvantages by using that format it' fine with me. But either I have to get a copy or you have to convert my files, if I'm good enough for this project at all that is...

Oh, and I don't think the quake editor would be convinient (sp?) to use...
Attachments
WIP ;)
<br />The propositions aren't quite right but I guess i'll work a bit more on it later maybe...it's based on another building in the original TT.
WIP ;)
The propositions aren't quite right but I guess i'll work a bit more on it later maybe...it's based on another building in the original TT.
building01.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
building01.zip
(.3ds file)
could someone please try to convert to lwa and see what happens?
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Last edited by SveinT on 22 Mar 2003 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hellfire wrote:Because of a lack of code to work on (rein --> hint!), I also created a low poly version of rein's avatar.

This object has only 23 polygons, which correspond to 66 triangles. To give the object any detail, I have used textures, bump maps and reflection maps for the nice reflections on the windows.

Oh yeah, I left out the satellite dishes on the roof.
Nice work :wink:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Shadow-XIII

You can create whatever you wish in q3radiant. The locomotive i posted earlier was made with it. The whole problem is to set a standard for dimensions and an engine that will convert brushes into a wireframe. Quick and clean.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

SveinT, I converted your model to .lwo. It took but a few seconds, but without your textures, its just all grey.
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

ken52787 wrote:SveinT, I converted your model to .lwo. It took but a few seconds, but without your textures, its just all grey.
Ok, cool, but what I haven't asked you guys about, is it possible to export to 3ds files in LightWave? Cause then we could go with max anyways if we find that better...

-edit-
Oh, and by the way, model conversion isn't really a problem...there are a hundreds of converters out there just do a search on google. This is one i found, but it crashes while opening hellfire's files...though they are supported. There are free ones too if you wanna spend more time searching....

link: http://download.quick3d.com/pro/hDH83kn ... _setup.exe (shareware 30 day trial)
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

I have some things to say about the import library for 3D models:

At this moment, I have only written a library for Lightwave's .LWO files. I can write a library for 3DS files, or any other file format. Since the engine will be open source, the editor will be too. If anyone feels that some file format should be supported, they will be able to write an extension to the editors for their favourite file format.

I really don't see why we should prefer one modeller over the other, because in the end, they all do the same thing. Make polygons :).
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

SveinT, you can export to 3DS from Lightwave. I guess it doesn't matter what people use now. Hellfire, I think that a 3DS library would help if you have time. It's not too high a priority tho, so take ur time.
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

Ehm.. I don't understand s*** about graphics and stuff... but I think it doesn't matter wich product will be used. You just have to say what format will be used and what kind of dimensions. When Lightwave and 3DS are able to export to the same format, then there isn't a problem at all. Rein, has to make a standard wich will be the best to program with and then everyone could use his own 3d program.
Besided 3ds and lightwave there are more offcourse. Its just what suits you the best 8) .
ken52787 wrote:SveinT, you can export to 3DS from Lightwave. I guess it doesn't matter what people use now. Hellfire, I think that a 3DS library would help if you have time. It's not too high a priority tho, so take ur time.
Instead of exporting to 3ds from lightwave, it is also possible to import from lightwave. Well, I saw an inporter just a few minutes ago. So I think there are A LOT ways to get everything working. In the netherlands we have an saying: "Er zijn meerdere wegen die naar Rome leiden." I don't know how to say that in english :roll: .

Hmm, I just started with downloading of Lightwave 7.1, the 7.5 update, an beginners guide, another guide and some plugins. I hope I get a feeling for it, because I really would like to build some structures too :wink: .
Mike,
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Adam K. wrote:Shadow-XIII

You can create whatever you wish in q3radiant. The locomotive i posted earlier was made with it. The whole problem is to set a standard for dimensions and an engine that will convert brushes into a wireframe. Quick and clean.
.... dunno ... I won't probably create anything so people who will create it must choose ... (and I think they did it already)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

SveinT wrote: Below you see the result of a little more modeling, uses 17 polygons as far as I can count which is a bit less that my previous :wink:
I desperately need textures though (just look at the door :D ). The model uses quite much reflection (sky bitmap), and bump mapping for the windows.
:shock: :shock: :bow: :bow: :bow: .... you guys really rocks .. if building like this one will be in game ... :bow: ... game has got a chance to has popularity :o (let's hops so)
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

mikeya wrote:
ken52787 wrote:SveinT, you can export to 3DS from Lightwave. I guess it doesn't matter what people use now. Hellfire, I think that a 3DS library would help if you have time. It's not too high a priority tho, so take ur time.
Instead of exporting to 3ds from lightwave, it is also possible to import from lightwave. Well, I saw an inporter just a few minutes ago. So I think there are A LOT ways to get everything working. In the netherlands we have an saying: "Er zijn meerdere wegen die naar Rome leiden." I don't know how to say that in english :roll: .

Hmm, I just started with downloading of Lightwave 7.1, the 7.5 update, an beginners guide, another guide and some plugins. I hope I get a feeling for it, because I really would like to build some structures too :wink: .
Well, I use 3D Studio MAX 4 and there isn't any way for me to import lwa's except from converting them.
The saying of yours goes like this (at least the one I've heard) "All roads leads to Rome"...yours seem to be "There are many roads leading to Rome"...but my Dutch knowledge is nonexistant, but it's pretty close to my own language to read.

It's always good with modelers, so you are very much welcome! :D

-edit-

Ah, I always forget to ask about the important things...
The texture coordinates? How will texturing be handled? Can I just texture a model in MAX and it will be loaded correctly in the game or do we have to make seperate texture coordinates? Dunno if I'll do much texturing at all though, we'll see....
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Some more work. A bank...or something :wink:
Good thing is that I have learned quite a lot about low poly modeling in max now, and how to weld vertices together to make less ploys. Still could need some proper textures though :P

It uses 165 polygons.

Well, I guess we don't need to start the real work yet, so I guess this is it for a while...unless I get bored again (which might very well happen :D )
Attachments
bank.zip
Mesh file (.3ds format , textures not included)
(3.78 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Just a simple model which would need much work if ever to be included in a game...
Just a simple model which would need much work if ever to be included in a game...
bank.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

:shock: :bow: good one ... maybe this pillars are too high ... but I think it's because I don't see windows :o
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

SHADOW-XIII wrote::shock: :bow: good one ... maybe this pillars are too high ... but I think it's because I don't see windows :o
Well, as said before I'm not very good at making textures so now windows yet :\
Also, you have a point...maybe I will raise the roof over the pillars a bit so there can be windows there too...

-edit-

Took about 5 seconds to do :D
Attachments
bank.jpg
bank.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

:bow: .... it look easy .... :? ... is it really so easy ?? maybe I will try 8) ... what should I have to start creating objects ??
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Well, first you need a 3D editor...they are very expensive (1000$-10000$) if you can't get them other ways. 3dsmax or lightwave are already mentioned as good choices. Then I would start with using some simple tutorials just to get familiar with the program. But keep in mind that it is not as easy as you might think (imo)...I don't say this to brag or anything but you'll find yourself testing and failing very much. But of course, simple models like the ones i've showed you here isn't that hard at all.

-edit-

Oh, and be sure to check out gmax which is a freeware 3d editing program made for game modeling. It's from the same people who makes 3dsmax.
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/g ... _text.html

I dunno how good it is compared to the real thing, but i'm sure it's good enough. Quite small download too...

- 2nd edit -

Wow, had a more in-depth look at it...it's almost the exact same thing as 3dsmax to my eyes, and it's totally free! Maybe we could use this as our 3d creation software base? Of course you can use any model you want, but just to have something to suggest to people who come in here and have no programs...or maybe i'm just talking bulls***... :wink:

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

- 3rd edit -

Or maybe not... it doesn't support model exporting except from into game libraries...too bad...

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”