Graphics

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Ok, pressing space worked, but I don't see the toolbar.....I'm in Windows XP, does that make a difference?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

Either your display properties got messed up, or your window isn't maximized. When I start Lightwave, it extends to cover complete screen, having bottom cut off by Windows bar, press Maximize and it'll readjust.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Back on topic... Thats a mighty fine building. Would you consider then making it in its construction stages, ie with a crane and stuff?
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

ken52787 wrote:Check it out. I got bored, so I modeled Rein's avatar. Again, this is untextured, but this time I added color. This is 280 polys.
!! my speech has gone :D
pretty job, add some low-resolution textures and it'll be just perfect
(i see thats Lightwave, isn't? cos Hellfire offers his .lwo mesh loading code)
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Not bad - but the polycount could be killed further by use of proper textures. Good start though.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Was a bit bored today so this is my lousy attempt to make one of those heliports in TT...I think it has roughly 280 polys (560 faces divided on 2??), but honestly i don't know how to count that in 3D Studio Max...

Or it has 560 polys, but I don't think faces is the same as polys? Could someone enlighten me?

I have no idea on how I got it so high for that simple model, and I guess my MAX skills has great room for improvements :wink:
Attachments
heliport.jpg
heliport.jpg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

It looks very nice. I don't know crap about 3D Studio Max, but I think you should add some color. Nothing finishing, just some plain simple colors.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

SveinT wrote:Was a bit bored today so this is my lousy attempt to make one of those heliports in TT...I think it has roughly 280 polys (560 faces divided on 2??), but honestly i don't know how to count that in 3D Studio Max...

Or it has 560 polys, but I don't think faces is the same as polys? Could someone enlighten me?

I have no idea on how I got it so high for that simple model, and I guess my MAX skills has great room for improvements :wink:
because I'm not good at graphic I must say: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

ken52787 wrote:It looks very nice. I don't know crap about 3D Studio Max, but I think you should add some color. Nothing finishing, just some plain simple colors.
As far as I know (I don't know much tho), you can't "paint" the objects in 3Dstudio MAX without using complex UVW maps and such. Those would have to be applied anyways if we are gonna have textures in the game ( :wink:), but I'm not that familiar with the program yet. How do you do it in Lightwave btw? Do you mark the polygons that you wanna paint (then your model has an insane amount of polys just to make the painting possible...) or what exactly do you do? Max might have a similar function...

I have heard that LightWave is better for lowpoly models though, and maybe I will check it out sometime if I get my hands it. It can't be that much different?

I will also try to apply some simple textures (gonna have a fun time with the UVW maps :( ), prolly based on the TT ones for the heliport, but don't expect anything good looking as my drawing skills is bad-to-none :lol:
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

In Lightwave, I just select the polys to color, press 'Q' (shortcut to surface properties) and make a new surface. I set the color and name of it, then adjust the other settings of it (transparency and reflection for example).

As for getting Lightwave, I don't know that it's that much better with low-polys (as I haven't used Max), but I think Max'll suit that just fine. If you can pick up a copy easily, I'd recommend it, just to get all the modelers using the same program. That'll probably save a whole lot of heartache later on.
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Hmm....this was quite a bit trickier than I thought...
So, I gave up before I got so bored that I'd jump out of the window (sitting in 3rd floor, so prolly not a good idea :lol: ), so here are the results so far. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, I know I did...pathetic...first time ever I did this though, I'm used to other ways of texturing and not texturing just one box (which this model is in order to keep polys low)
And...I'm never doing this again, unless I find an easier way...it was quite boring... :x

Btw, I think this project needs some texture artists :D

-edit-

Attached the model file in .3ds format. It is quite widely used I think so your editor should support it. You couls try to optimize ken and see if you could get it further down in polys. Btw, to get my hand on a copy of LW would cost me about...990$. Too bad I'm not that rich :?
Attachments
heliport2.jpg
heliport2.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
heliport.zip
Model file (.3ds)
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Because of a lack of code to work on (rein --> hint!), I also created a low poly version of rein's avatar.

This object has only 23 polygons, which correspond to 66 triangles. To give the object any detail, I have used textures, bump maps and reflection maps for the nice reflections on the windows.

Oh yeah, I left out the satellite dishes on the roof.
Attachments
Closeup of the building. You can see the effect of the bumpmap on the roof and on the walls
Closeup of the building. You can see the effect of the bumpmap on the roof and on the walls
Closeup Render.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Rein's Avatar.zip
The entire lightwave source
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
The entire building plus wireframe view
The entire building plus wireframe view
Entire Building + Wireframe.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Looks very good, espescially the roof. Where do you find all those textures?
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Made them from scratch in M$ Paint !!

Except for the "tinfoil" reflection map. That one came with Lightwave.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

:shock: very, very nice hellfire. It shows that you've been doing this longer than I have. I'm gonna look through your source and see if I can learn me how to texture better.
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Speaking of texturing, I've figured out how to paint the models...so here is another pic, but I guess you people are getting tired of my pics now :lol:
I also found a little easier method for texturing but still I don't plan on texturing a whole model yet as I'm too unexperienced I found out :?

And, very nice model Hellfire, seems like you've done this for a bit longer than me too....
Attachments
heliport3.jpg
heliport3.jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

SveinT, I don't like the "Transport Empire" printed on the side, but besides that, it looks nice.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

My God !!! :shock: youguys rock with this graphic :bow:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Xeo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Xeo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:My God !!! :shock: you guys rock with these graphics :bow:
I only can agree :bow: :bow: :bow:
Lalalala
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Ok - so the quiestion has got to be asked - what kind of a program shall we use to make models?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”