Graphics

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

I tried this one for practice on keepin polys low for using bump mapping, and also for texturing practice. It's 29 polys.
Attachments
building1.zip
This has both the lightwave, and 3dsmax files. It also has all the textures
(174.55 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
rendered.jpg
rendered.jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

good .. very good .. btw. I think .. if it wil be a house for people it could have a bit other windows ... like this:

Code: Select all

|=====|
|  |  |
|--|--|
|  |  |
|=====|
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ken52787
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ken52787 »

I didn't plan on using this model, its just practice. If I really tried, I'm pretty sure I could do much better than this. This has a bunch of problems (like top of the side, the bumpmapping texture runs out and it shows). BTW, its this building (missing some details)
Attachments
based.gif
based.gif (7.42 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

ken52787 wrote:I didn't plan on using this model, its just practice. If I really tried, I'm pretty sure I could do much better than this. This has a bunch of problems (like top of the side, the bumpmapping texture runs out and it shows). BTW, its this building (missing some details)
of course ... but even it is very simple graphic it is a big + from me ... coz I don't have skills to create graphics even simply like this ...
really great jib
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

ken52787 wrote:I didn't plan on using this model, its just practice. If I really tried, I'm pretty sure I could do much better than this. This has a bunch of problems (like top of the side, the bumpmapping texture runs out and it shows). BTW, its this building (missing some details)
Well, I think you can make the chimneys too...kinda nice details even though they will double the ply count :lol:
Keep it coming though, maybe we should setup a gfx "showcase/progress" page soon?
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

You mean like the the "Finished Graphics" topic for TTD graphics? That's what this was supposed to be....but it went off topic.....in a good way....
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Lilman424 wrote:You mean like the the "Finished Graphics" topic for TTD graphics? That's what this was supposed to be....but it went off topic.....in a good way....
Well, I meant more of a website. I'm gonna mock up some stuff now and ask Owen what he thinks...maybe it could be the official if it turns out well...if not someone else could give it a shot. Owen at least said that he had little time and people were free to send in "samples"...
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Today, I found out that with Lightwave 6, the .LWO format changed from type "LWOB" to "LWO2" (check out the first 12 bytes of a lwo file). My library was written in 2001 for Lightwave 5.6, so it only supports LWOB files.

I'm changing it asap to support both the LWOB and LWO2 file formats.

Lucky for me, Lightwave 7 supports an "export to Lightwave 5" function :D, so I can still test support for the older LWOB format.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Question:

What will be the game resolution for textures?

IMO 64 pixels per one tile side seems reasonable. This would be 4 pixels per meter (assuming 16m is length of a single tile side). This measurement is important if we want textures to be made...

With my measurement it would be 4 pixels per meter, 11 pixels per story.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

Adam K. wrote:Question:

IMO 64 pixels per one tile side seems reasonable. This would be 4 pixels per meter (assuming 16m is length of a single tile side). This measurement is important if we want textures to be made...

Sounds good yes, will look a bit flushed if zoomed really close upon, but nobody would use that view when PLAYING the game anyway....

Also, just a random thought popping up in my mind. Texture compression...that will be implemented right? We could maybe have even higher textures then without too much resource hog, or rein could make something that decrease the quality while zoomed out. Honestly I don't have much knowledge about this...
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

could someone make a house using the attached texture?

Just remove the .zip in the name.
Attachments
house face.tga.zip
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Hellfire wrote:Because of a lack of code to work on (rein --> hint!), I also created a low poly version of rein's avatar.
I hope it's not too late to congratulate you on the wonderful work done here. Also, the Question asked below, I'll add that to the FAQ, so hopefully we get an answer there :)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

every object must have only 1 texture, not bigger than 256x256 i think (anyway texture size doesn't matter from the core side, just a power of 2)
SveinT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SveinT »

rein wrote:

every object must have only 1 texture, not bigger than 256x256 i think (anyway texture size doesn't matter from the core side, just a power of 2)
Still, noone has answered my question, but I dunno if you're the one to ask...anyways, can the MAX texture coordinates be used? We have to make coordinates somehow and I have no idea how this really works...I guess it's a matter which isn't in a rush though...
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

My first try!

Post by Lilman424 »

Here's the first object I made without using a tutorial. It has 188 polys in 2 surfaces. As you can see, no textures. If anyone wants the source, it's for lightwave so....just ask me.
Attachments
Tower 1.JPG
Tower 1.JPG (47.93 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I have questions ...
If it is for lightwave ... so can use it with Gmax editor ??
which one editor you use ??
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

don't know about GMax

I use Lightwave......
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

rein wrote: every object must have only 1 texture, not bigger than 256x256 i think (anyway texture size doesn't matter from the core side, just a power of 2)
I'm afraid that this is not the best approach... If you want to use a single texture than it will be required to deform it to make it work on a single object - this makes creating skins very difficult and time consuming. Also - you will have to specify how to project a texture onto an object. And you have to remember that you have to make sure that sharp edge will be in the projection otherwise you will create the "stripes" effect - very ugly one. Also - this is very inefficent texture wise - every darn building will have to have a single texture for it - if we stick to 256x256x32 than 500 buildings will require 64 mb textures - and this game is supposed to be open I heard...

The one-texture per object is fine for trees and such but for complex objects such as cantlever or girder bridges it will be a horror to work with.

OTOH - if we want a series of houses that just have different roof that you will only make a few definitions with just roof texture replaced. Also - with a set of textures making new objects will just require to mix them in a proper way and not make difficult to make skin...

BTW - my question was related to other thing though. How many pixels is it for a texture for a single tile - this resolution sets sizes for all textures that are supposed to be painted. If we assume that tile is 16x16m and uses 64x64 pixel texture then we know that area of 4x4 pixels is 1x1 m - very important for making all art for the game to avoid objects drawn with different scale.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Important point you have there, Adam! In SimCity 3000, some artists seem to have used different scale for the textures which made some buildings look really bad. Something about trees, you know there is a memory saving way to define trees? I think such trees will be in the Lightwave library too. Thye are just like those paper trees that you put into a +-shape. By the rendering of the graphics they appear as normal trees though.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

I have some comments here:
Adam K. wrote:
rein wrote: every object must have only 1 texture, not bigger than 256x256 i think (anyway texture size doesn't matter from the core side, just a power of 2)
I'm afraid that this is not the best approach... If you want to use a single texture than it will be required to deform it to make it work on a single object - this makes creating skins very difficult and time consuming. Also - you will have to specify how to project a texture onto an object. And you have to remember that you have to make sure that sharp edge will be in the projection otherwise you will create the "stripes" effect - very ugly one. Also - this is very inefficent texture wise - every darn building will have to have a single texture for it - if we stick to 256x256x32 than 500 buildings will require 64 mb textures - and this game is supposed to be open I heard...
In OpenGL, when you draw a polygon, you can specify for each vertex, a corresponding location on a texture map. Not only does this allow for better positioning of the textures, you can also put 7 different textures in one big file, which will result in faster render times, because only one texture has to be processed. As far as modelling for TT2/TE/TM is concerned, we will have to make some editor (or a text-file like format for model files that is user-editable) to map a texture on the models. When I am home tonight (it's 10:45 AM here), I'll make a sample using the "Rein's Avatar" model.

Further: 500 buildings maybe realistic for the game, but 500 different buildings is probably not. The size of a texture really doesn't matter for OpenGL. As rein said: 256x256 is a maximum, and that maximum is not even fixed. In theory, texture files can have any size. Remember: each texture has to be loaded only once!
The one-texture per object is fine for trees and such but for complex objects such as cantlever or girder bridges it will be a horror to work with.
Not really, you can draw just one beam of steel, and use that part of the texture for every steel beam in the bridge!
OTOH - if we want a series of houses that just have different roof that you will only make a few definitions with just roof texture replaced. Also - with a set of textures making new objects will just require to mix them in a proper way and not make difficult to make skin...
True, I think... Not really sure, but I think you're right.
BTW - my question was related to other thing though. How many pixels is it for a texture for a single tile - this resolution sets sizes for all textures that are supposed to be painted. If we assume that tile is 16x16m and uses 64x64 pixel texture then we know that area of 4x4 pixels is 1x1 m - very important for making all art for the game to avoid objects drawn with different scale.
If I'm not mistaken, rein's current implementation uses a 256x256 map for 4x4 tiles, that is 64x64 per tile.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”