Wiki

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Wiki

Post by Steve »

There have been lots of talk about setting up a wiki and I can go do it right now, there is just a little problem.

Whilst I own the domain name, orudge is hosting the website and with him out of the country, I can't get access to a MySQL database for the wiki. Is there any problems we me diverting the domain name back to my webspace so I can set up a wiki? Possibly to be reset to orudge's server when the time comes?

I can't actually remember why we switched to orudge's server in the first place though, so there could be something else to consider.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

We switched to Owen's server because the SF Wiki was extremely slow. If you can setup a Wiki on your domain I don't think we even have to change it to Owen's server later on if the Wiki performs normally.

Last time I tried to connect to your server I got a connection error btw. Did the password change?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Wiki

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:There have been lots of talk about setting up a wiki and I can go do it right now, there is just a little problem.

Whilst I own the domain name, orudge is hosting the website and with him out of the country, I can't get access to a MySQL database for the wiki. Is there any problems we me diverting the domain name back to my webspace so I can set up a wiki? Possibly to be reset to orudge's server when the time comes?

I can't actually remember why we switched to orudge's server in the first place though, so there could be something else to consider.
Would it be possible for you to create a subdomain wiki.transportempire.com which you point on the wikiserver (aka your own server). I guess having the wiki on your own server is just a temporary soulution unless you got good backup hardware at home.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Zuu wrote:Would it be possible for you to create a subdomain wiki.transportempire.com which you point on the wikiserver (aka your own server). I guess having the wiki on your own server is just a temporary soulution unless you got good backup hardware at home.
If that is possible, I have no idea how to it, it probably isn't without orudge's cooperation. My server isn't hosted at my home and as for backups, I already have a system in place for backing up MySQL databases, the only other thing is attachments, but there won't be many of them.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:
Zuu wrote:Would it be possible for you to create a subdomain wiki.transportempire.com which you point on the wikiserver (aka your own server). I guess having the wiki on your own server is just a temporary soulution unless you got good backup hardware at home.
If that is possible, I have no idea how to it, it probably isn't without orudge's cooperation. My server isn't hosted at my home and as for backups, I already have a system in place for backing up MySQL databases, the only other thing is attachments, but there won't be many of them.
To setup a subdomain you should contact the domain registrar. http://www.joker.com or whatever your domain registrar is. But if Owen is your domain registrar then I agree that you won't be able to do it without his cooperation.

And if it is not possible to create a subdomain you could go on and setup the wiki and add a wiki-link on the http://www.transportempire.com website to the server which holds the wiki, using its IP. Since there is a link people does not need to remember the IP and it will only be temporary since Owen will come back won't he?

EDIT:
Steve wrote:Is there any problems we me diverting the domain name back to my webspace so I can set up a wiki? Possibly to be reset to orudge's server when the time comes?
If you have the power to change where the domain points you'll likely also got the power to create subdomains.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

It doesn't matter anymore as it's all sorted, but if we left the domain pointing to orudge's server, the way I make subdomains is via cPanel on my own server, I think i'd need two seperate DNS thingies.

We made the decision on IRC to just use my server again (theres no real reason not to anyway) and despite both me and Hyronymus being locked out of our website on orudge's server, we've got the latest version back on my site. The domain should be updated now too, so http://www.transportempire.com/ will be working as usual.

I also set us up a wiki for the Design Document and thanks to myself, Azzaz and XeryusTC the current DD is now online. This will now need to be updated though, which is quite a big task. At least now we have more than 2 people able to do it, with no disadvantage of having to pass a file backwards and forwards.

http://wiki.transportempire.com/
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

That's superb! It makes TE much more accessible as a project.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It seems somebody mislaid the details for my server, if Hyronymus or Steve can contact me, then I can provide them with the details again, and as I say, free hosting is available with me at the very least until such time as Transport Empire starts gobbling huge amounts of bandwidth (and I don't forsee that happening for a while!)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Right now I see no reason for the hassle of moving stuff back to orudge's server. It's not too much work, but no work is still better, right? :)

Topic locked, TE Homepage and TE Wiki hosted at Steve's server (09112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”