AI trackbuilding

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

AI trackbuilding

Post by Hajo »

Hi,

the AI trackbuilding in TTD is terribly. Any ideas how to improve that?

Algorithms like A* or Dijkstras shortest path don't work well once the AI is supposed to alter the landscape in order to create better paths.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

First bad method of AI in TTD: ... it building tracks both from one station and from other .. he should building from one station to other ... ...anyway we must create algorithm for AI to 'show' him where he should build station .... .... it can build like that ... it put 1 square of track .. (tt2 check how he could build tracks .. that it will be closer to second station, [first we must create algorithm for building straight way .., and not only for railway])
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

In 3DTT trackbuilding works like pathfinding. So when building starts everything is evaluated already and building itself is very quick, so the player has no chance to block the AI´s work. Of course he can still do it by accident...

Peter
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

thats more realistic anyway ... maybe break track laying up into steps
surveying
land purchase
actual track laying
that would give the benefit of pathfinding to the AI but still slow it down enough for the player to block it? Maybe send the player a message when the AI starts each phase "Doofus transport begins Surveying near Townsville" or something of the sort... Limit the AI land purchase to x amount of tiles per turn maybe?
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Surveying
Land purchasing
station placing
basic track building (no intersections)
advanced track building (intersections)
depot placing
train building
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

I would rather go for:

Surveying
Station terrain reservement
Connecting them with track (single/double)
Optimising the connection
Adding passing loops if necessary
Adding stations
Adding depots

The Optimisation is the most important and proper algorithms for it need to be created. This includes making the connection flatter and straighter.

What analysis is to use here?

IMO - it would be reasonable to use leaf based analysis: game would take a YxY area and optimise the connection within it. This would make things much faster, but the lines wtill would not look like created by humans. OTOH they would also not look like TTD's ai creation.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Yep ... in Optimizng or in adding loops AI should put also lights ... but we must teach AI to create Railway Network, not to build separatly railways
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

Everyone approach is different. My network is different then, let say yours. Will be very hard for many people to let AI to make a decision. For example, I never use more then two lines, go for the underground if possible and making all the branches connected with clove leaf type intersection.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I think we should look at the current AI - basic 1 or 2 train tracks, and focus on making their routes efficiant, with the pathfinding and so on - we want competition, but if we want human-quality competition, we can play over the net.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

First .. before AI .. we should allow play users ... :roll:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:First .. before AI .. we should allow play users ... :roll:
The man makes a very persuasive point.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

What I meant was break the AI's track laying into steps and let the player just build.... to offset the AI's advantage when using pathfinding... that way we get less AI "Garbage" lines but can still compete because the AI has to build slower than the player
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

WHAT if the landscape would change whilst the AI is building it's tracks? Wouldn't that screw up the track?
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

No the AI is only allowed to buy x amount of tiles per turn @ the buying phase... if the landscape changes before it buys it has to start @ survey again..
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I know this is only half-on-topic, but can we also apply the ideas from this to prevent RTPS? (Retarded Town Planner Syndrome)

/me goes back into his hole, hoping to get back on IRC at some point - address below
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”