2d / 3d ??

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Decide which graphics you want

2D (isometric)
58%
3D
43%

Total votes: 40

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Obviously, we won't need lighting quite like that in the games, but just think: we could have a night mode, with vehicle headlamps that shine ahead in the road (or rails, or whatever), and signs in towns and streetlamps that illuminate the scene...
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

sure, i'm dreaming about the same, but all the lighting will be done with blended sprites, gourand shading may be very useful for making more realistic and sundry landscape (shading, colorizing detail textures instead of using different ones for grass, lighter/darker grass, mud, plain etc. :D

mmm, if it all will come off i'll perhaps be playing only in night-mode :lol:
Transport Empire general programmer

visit #TEmpire
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Single, far away lightning source would allow to shade dynamicly all objects on the map without modeler's worrying about it.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

It would be great to have a sun, but remember that it's high in the sky and doesn't leave very long shadows. Maybe we can have an option in for a lower sun in the arctic climate. Changing per season.
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

I stick to my idea to make the engine like Warcraf3 or Dungeon Siege... 3d but 2d view...

so far my remarks
Never fear, I is here...
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

Well, you may dream of day and night and lamps, but store these ideas to a later point, otherwise you will never get started...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

True, we should keep the eye candy and dreaming on the list, but let's first get started.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

He's right, while they are they funnest (most fun?) thing to think about, and probably the easier to get ideas for, it'd be nice to have a map with more than just flat grass/dirt before night lamps and shadowing. (That was one sentence, but it makes perfect sense. Go figure)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

I just remembered one more argument for 3D: cliffs.
What has one thing to do with the other?
Well, if you want to have different kinds of slopes from one tile to the other, you will be restricted by 2D, because you have to draw all combination possibilities whichs may result in hundreds and thousands and millions of sprites. Yes, millions! The amount of combinations grows exponentially.
And we did not speak about the building´s foundations yet, which have to look out partially when built on a slope.
In 3D you just draw the polygons in the desired size and don´t worry about the combinations.

Peter
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

If we create graphic like in Insustry Giant 2, I will vote to 3D ...
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

Industry giant is 2D... - or did I misunderstood and you DISLIKE the graphics of IG2?

Peter

PS: Don´t forget about spinning and zooming the map...
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

I think this poll should be redone AFTER the discussion. It is very clear that everybody (almost) votes for tiles and an isometric view. The only question is:
Do you want to have the many advantages of a 3D engine in exchange for a bit more work? This should be the question.

Peter
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:Industry giant is 2D... - or did I misunderstood and you DISLIKE the graphics of IG2?
IG2 is 2d, but uses 3d acceleration. There is zoom and in high detail you can see filtered textures. That is why it works so smooth (unlike RT II for example). Rotating or changing view angle is still impossible though.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:Well, you may dream of day and night and lamps, but store these ideas to a later point, otherwise you will never get started...
Advertisement:

:twisted: Simutrans from 0.81.21exp has a night mode with lit windows, some lights for sidewalks, cars etc. very few ATM because it needs different graphics, but we're working on it :twisted:

c.u.
Hajo
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:I think this poll should be redone AFTER the discussion. It is very clear that everybody (almost) votes for tiles and an isometric view.
Its 50/50 at the moment. I agree that it should be re-done though.
ImageImageImageImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Remove one vote from 2D and stick it to 3D for me. ;)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

ok .. so be it ... I'm changing my vote from 2D to 3D ...
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

@Owen, Rein, Hellfire, Adam and others!

Please, you programmers, can you check this one out? This engine power the Trainz! Maybe this one be easier to modify than other engines for the project, unless decision is made to go the long way of developing new one.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Jan wrote:@Owen, Rein, Hellfire, Adam and others!

Please, you programmers, can you check this one out? This engine power the Trainz! Maybe this one be easier to modify than other engines for the project, unless decision is made to go the long way of developing new one.
Yes, that game looks quite realistic. Perhaps that engine could be used to our advantage?
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

yeah ... not so bad .. and it is free for non-commercial use

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”