2d / 3d ??

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Decide which graphics you want

2D (isometric)
58%
3D
43%

Total votes: 40

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Arathorn wrote:But what's the difference between 3d with a fixed camera and 2d isometric?
Speed - 3d acceleration hardware is cheap
Looks - 3d allows many usefyl things like gouraud shading for instance (fully gridless, almost smooth game world)
Expandability - 3d technology is still in development. Imagine pixel shader made water. arrrr!
Ease - it is much easier to build tons of tiny 3d objects than hundreads tiny 2D objects (i've done both)
Realism - no more quanum phisics like trains making 90 deg turns, better perspective

I've missed any?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

I agree with Adam. Everyone has 3D hardware. It would be a waste to not use it. It will take longer. But it will be much better.
ImageImageImageImageImage
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

all eye-candies would be only unnecessary red herrings. The main purpose of the game is to have overview of your tycoon and build great networks, not to empathize in engine-driver's job, not to look round your every city or station and maybe meet dwellers. Who cares about whether there are waves on the see or grass blades on the ground. If you really want to ride a train why don't you just play e.g. Ms Train Sim?
Transport Empire general programmer

visit #TEmpire
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

rein wrote:all eye-candies would be only unnecessary red herrings. The main purpose of the game is to have overview of your tycoon and build great networks, not to empathize in engine-driver's job, not to look round your every city or station and maybe meet dwellers. Who cares about whether there are waves on the see or grass blades on the ground. If you really want to ride a train why don't you just play e.g. Ms Train Sim?
I didn't say that. What would be the point in making another TT that looked crappy!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

rein wrote:all eye-candies would be only unnecessary red herrings. The main purpose of the game is to have overview of your tycoon and build great networks, not to empathize in engine-driver's job, not to look round your every city or station and maybe meet dwellers. Who cares about whether there are waves on the see or grass blades on the ground. If you really want to ride a train why don't you just play e.g. Ms Train Sim?
You don't need to utilize all features of the 3D hardware immediately. But supporting 3D from the beginning allows to add such things later on.

Doing it 2D you'll never be able to get the features without a major rework of the engine. According to the feedback that I got from Simutrans the visual appearance is very important for the players. One even said "Simutrans is too ugly to be playable" - obviously some players require a minimum of eyecandy top even consider trying the game.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I really want 3D only for changing camera angle ... rest isn't neccessary
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:I really want 3D only for changing camera angle ... rest isn't neccessary
2D will not allow to change the camera angle, unless you store many different views of the objects, which boost the size and memory requirements.

I.e. Simutrans needs 16 views for a truck (8 loaded, 8 unloaded). To support two different camera angles two full sets are required == 32 images ... each additional camera angle requires a new set.

IMO such things work best in 3D world. 2D has it's limits.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

if it has to be 3D so who will create main engine
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:if it has to be 3D so who will create main engine
How about using a free engine like crystal space:
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/

then you can concentrate on the game and do not need to craete a new engine.

IIRC there are more free 3D engines, maybe better suited to terrain rendering.

OTOH if noone (can) make(s) the 3D engine, the poll is useless and 2D is your only choice ...

c.u.
Hajo
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

I can program a 3d engine in either OpenGL or DirectX Graphics 9. And I believe that rein can too. The discussion about who will program which part of the engine should be held amongst the programmers who will work on the engine. And AFAIK the only programmer at the moment is rein...
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Hajo ... I see it's nice ... maybe we can use this Crystal
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

You may download a modified version of 3DTT Beta 4, which has been released by Ubi Soft under the title "Trains and Trucks Tycoon". The demo is about 60 MB and free for download.
Currently I am working on Beta 8 which should introduce curved platforms.

And for this:
SHADOW-XIII wrote:I don't know how you but I only want TTD without limits and with full user-configuration
I think you are served well by Josef´s patch, which is much more than a patch meanwhile.
And you should consider simutrans which is even more advanced (since it is a completely new program instead of some tinkering).

Peter
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Even the patch has limitations, because it's tied to the TTD engine.
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

hmm, yes, looking around would be a nice feature... maybe pitching may cause some add to work (if using perspective than occlusion culling will be needed)

I was writing some little programs with OpenGL long time ago, but recently i dusted off some tutorials and downloaded latest libraries...

without doubt sooner or later OpenGL will replace Allegro in this project, so why not? If majority wants it.

if camera angle isn't be fixed in 4 directions, it means that everything must be 3d and we can forget about sprites

until the source release, i'm unfortunately working alone here :(
but because it's an open source project, everyone will be able to correct mistakes and suggest changes in game's structure (i'm afraid that whole engine will be rebuilt or ever rewritten :D)

NOTE: we must organise somehow, how all code changes will go off - everyone posting his small part of source would mess everything up!

ok, before publishing the code needs to be amended and more info added

:?: heh, so what are we ending up on? making 3d, 2d, isometric with free rotation in OpenGL, FPP or a simulator? ow, lets make just a simple board-game, like monopoly :D

visit #TEmpire
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Maybe server FTP with source code ... ??? it is very easy to do ...
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Maybe server FTP with source code ... ??? it is very easy to do ...
no no, i dont mean where to place it, but how to patch it up

visit #TEmpire

Post by Guest »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Maybe server FTP with source code ... ??? it is very easy to do ...
Owen creates a project at sourceforge. It will include a public CVS (a sourcecode versioning system).

c.u.
Hajo
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, thinking about it, I think 3D might actually be quite good. I will have a look at this Crystal 3D engine too.
NOTE: we must organise somehow, how all code changes will go off - everyone posting his small part of source would mess everything up!
As Hajo says, CVS will be available with SourceForge, so we can use that.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Take a look at some of these screenshots:

http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/s ... oshot1.jpg
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/s ... oshot2.jpg

We could still have an isometric system which looks like TTD (but much better!), but in 3D.
rein
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rein »

yeah, yeah, it's so cool just because of lighting and shadows - do we really need them in open-space game? (maybe with night-modes - but gourand shading wont help us here - rather alpha sprites)

but i really like the idea of isometric look in 3d fully rotatnig scene, that would be really great (no pitching!)

visit #TEmpire

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”