Where is the final DD?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Where is the final DD?

Post by iLess »

Hi everyone.

A Friend and I thought it would be a really cool idea to have a 3d successor of OpenTTD with underground trains/stations/airports, tiles with variable steepness and landscapes that look more smooth, enhanced PvP capabilities (bring other companies to court, employ dubious people that harm the opponent, etc.). And as always we are not the first with such ideas ;-). So as there has been A LOT of discussion about all this stuff in this forum, I wasn't able to read much of it (its so immense). I don't know either what threads are essential and contain the last views of the topics discussed. I read somewhere that you have a DD. I found a link on the TE site which didn't work though...

1. Could someone please tell me if there is a link to the newest DD that works, or mail it to me?

2. Is this project still alive?
3. Is there any other source except those network tests on SourceForge?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

1. I think Hellfire can help you with that.
2. It's not dead but tormented by people who commit themselves to the project and the run off without breaking the news.
3. Not that I know.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iLess »

wow! that was fast...
thanks for the answer. btw is there some sort of wiki for the project?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hmm, there was but all it gives now is a fatal error. Try the homepage instead.
iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iLess »

hm, seems rather empty. not much info here except for the coding guidlines
Last edited by iLess on 24 Apr 2006 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

iLess wrote:3. Is there any other source except those network tests on SourceForge?
They're not tests. The "tempire" module in the sourceforge CVS is my attempt to build the backbone for the game. Check the roadmap for details on what I currently am working on. Also, you really should check out some of the topics in the Developers' forum.

I think you've sent me an e-mail. I'm going to read it now. ;)
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iLess »

Ah I see ;-). BTW was there lots of stuff on the wiki,which can't be found in the forums or just condensed information of past discussions?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It would've been very stupid of us if we ditched a Wiki full of important stuff. So we didn't, the Wiki was used for discussion purpose mainly and it hosted some schemes. I'm positive all that stuff is in to 2 other TE subforums here, the ones you can't see (yet). If you're interested in helping TE out you can ask Hellfire to make you a member of the TE usergroup.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

There's another subforum?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Arathorn wrote:There's another subforum?
There's this one, and a Development forum which I can see (dunno if that's a special right, since I'm a member of a usergroup), and I believe there's a hidden forum (which I cannot see) for coding, but not sure of that.

EDIT: The coders do have an own usergroup, tho.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

That explains, I can only see this one and the Development forum. So there's possibly a whole lot of development I'm not seeing?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No, don't worry. Nothing has been posted there for ages :D.
iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iLess »

i'm definitely interested. So what do you want me to do?
I know a little Excel and Word and i'm quite an expert with Microsoft Paint and Solitaire. And i can edit autoexec.bat. But unfortunately i can't use those skillz as I have a Mac though ;-)
Have you guys decided yet what libraries you are going to use for Graphics, UserInput, Sound, IO, etc.?

I only saw RakNet which i think is a good choice. I have played around with it too.

For the other libs (all platform independent) i would suggest:

Graphics: OpenGL
Loading Images: devIL (supports png, jpeg, ...)
Loading Fonts: FreeType
UserInput and OpenGL Context Creation: SDL
Sound: OpenAL
Loading SoundFiles: OggVorbis (better than Mp3 + OpenSource)
Parsing ConfigFiles: Boost.Spirit (this lib rocks! lets you define Parsers with a pseudo EBNF Syntax directly inside C++-Code. Well actually the whole Boost Collection rocks!)

BTW: Who is responsible for the Wiki and the Page? If you guys really want to get this project running you should have a Wiki again as soon as possible. With the most important information condensed there so that new people who want to join can get faster familiar with the project. As such a Project really takes a long time to complete and people will leave and hopefully new people will join it is IMO very important that those joining don't have to read through all the discussions anymore, but can get the info from the wiki ( Something like http://www.freeorion.org has)

Who is active on the project atm? Who is leading it? Are there different leaders for Code, Graphics, Design and Sound?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

iLess wrote:BTW: Who is responsible for the Wiki and the Page? If you guys really want to get this project running you should have a Wiki again as soon as possible. With the most important information condensed there so that new people who want to join can get faster familiar with the project.
If I'm not wrong it was decided to have such information on the website. Currently there is some in the FAQ found i the General Transport Empire Discussion.

However, while we now have a website, it still lacks some of the intended content.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Having a Wiki is not a prerequisite for getting this project of the ground. We have decided on all the basi requirements for TE in the past years. The only benefit a wiki has over a normal webpage is the ability to edit already existing topics instead of adding to it. I'm positive a forum + website provide the same 'comfort' when used properly though.

Steve and I are in lead of this project but with only 1 coder (sorry if I neglect anyone) there isn't much to lead for Steve and me.
iLess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iLess »

Ah k I see. Was just a suggestion.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

iLess wrote:Ah k I see. Was just a suggestion.
Maybe I sounded a bit harsh, that was not my intention. During the time that we had a wiki it didn't fulfill our expectations, that's why we ditched it.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Hyronymus wrote:that's why we ditched it.
So, it doesn't work intentionally?
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hellfire wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:that's why we ditched it.
So, it doesn't work intentionally?
Silly Hellfire, dead objects don't have intentions :wink: . Did I really make it look that way :P?!

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”