Where can i sign up to help?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

theshipper
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Where can i sign up to help?

Post by theshipper »

Where can i sign up to help? I am a typer of wikis and id like to help there. Ive typed many before now. A LOT for video games.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

As noone of the others have answerd your question, I'll as a former member will try to answer your question as good as I can.

Transport Empire is currently not under development, since it got no coders at the moment. During its 2-4 year long history many things have been disscussed, but little coded. Currently the project is basicly hoping for a coder to apear and say tada! I'll code the engine for you, since there aren't any coders that are willing (or at least don't have time or knownledge) to code the engine.

At the current state there is not mutch use for people like you (sad but true). Since to much time have been spent on documentation and to little on coding so far.

--

Steve, Hyronymus, etc. Please correct me if you don't share my view.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No, this is the case (sadly). I must've missed this post as I'm used to reply to volunteers, sorry theshipper. Perhaps we should shop around on the Internet and find some professional coders...
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Or learn a little yourselves... even if it's only enough to get the basics started until some more experienced volunteers pop up.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ok, just a probably stupid suggestion. There are some Drag & Drop tools around like GameMaker ( http://www.gamemaker.nl ) which allow you to program your own games quite easily. Even I can program with it. Now you're probably gonna flame me for this stupid suggestion you can't use, but you would probably kill me if you need it and I didn't tell about it :tongue:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I think that in the end, making something from scratch is less work then using that gamemaker thing. It's probably fine for simple things, but a full transport game gets quite complex and I'm afraid you hit the ceiling pretty fast with programs like that.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I am working on a 3D engine with a friend of mine ATM. It is meant to use in other games. The engine is far from finished, it only has a terrain render (which is really quick, it made a AMD 3000+ with a nVidia GeForce 6800GT crash because the memory couldn't cope with the speed of rendering :P) and a basic scripting language in it, all it needs is a particle engine, an object renderer and shaders. It could be used in Transport Empire because it is designed to be a module of an other game and it is modular too so you can edit/remove/add anything you want.
If you want to use it in Transport Empire we start distributing early (it is in an early stage of development as I said) and maybe your developers could help us to improve it.
Hopefully this gets you off your feet and starting again.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

That's very nice. Unfortunately however, we don't have any developers now.
What kind of game are you making with it?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Arathorn wrote:That's very nice. Unfortunately however, we don't have any developers now.
What kind of game are you making with it?
We are making a MMORPG (see signature) with that engine, we're busy for quite a while because we saw an improvement in the engine every time we were halfway there that needed a total conversion.

I forgot to mention that the engine supports fully skinnable GUIs and has its own compression method based on bzip IIRC too.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Sounds very nice. Now if we would have any coder we could do something with it. :(

About the engine itself, since it's for an MMORPG, how well would it be able to display a lot of different low-poly objects? I guess you're optimizing it for a smaller number of high-poly ones?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

We are planning to use low-poly models, a MMORPG has a lot of objects scattered around a map (players, NPCs, static objects like trees) and it is targeted at systems that were mainstream a few months ago (GeForce 5x00/6x00 series).
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

charlieg wrote:Or learn a little yourselves... even if it's only enough to get the basics started until some more experienced volunteers pop up.
Yes, thx for pointing that out. I already hear myself talking to depressed adolescents in my future job: learn a little psychology yourself, the experts will pop-up sooner or later :roll:

But anyhow (I hope you see the funny side of my reply charlieg), we don't have any coders atm. Maybe we should post a wanted poster on Sourceforge.
thewag
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thewag »

i can code in gml, im getting quite good at it now but im no expert, what are we coding TE in? (im guessing C)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

C most likely indeed.
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Hyronymus wrote:But anyhow (I hope you see the funny side of my reply charlieg), we don't have any coders atm. Maybe we should post a wanted poster on Sourceforge.
There is a horrid irony in all this. When coders offered to help, the game design was not done. Now the game design is done, there's no coders to help.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

thewag wrote:i can code in gml
What's GML? Geographic Markup Language?
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
thewag
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thewag »

GML is gamemaker language, im actually coding in pascal but is seems to work as GML is very similar to C++ and pascal, so hopefully C will also be fairly similar
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

You can see C++ as an extension to C, so it will be very simular ;).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hellfire wrote:
thewag wrote:i can code in gml
What's GML? Geographic Markup Language?
GML = Game Maker Language, see the link I posted above. It's fairly easy to use, and can be combined with Drag and Drop thingies within Game Maker.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

I noticed something in the Game Maker Documentation:
Game Maker focuses on two-dimensional games. So it is not meant to create 3D worlds like Quake, even though there is some limited functionality for 3D graphics.
Bummer. :(
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”