Alpha Blending, Soil Erosion and New Guy

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

DaisyCutter
Engineer
Engineer

Alpha Blending, Soil Erosion and New Guy

Post by DaisyCutter »

Hi, just signed up to this forum. It was originally by accident. I was trying to find new vehicle sets for Locomotion for my 8 year old nephew, until I stumbled upon this extensive forum.

Although I was an avid Transport Tycoon player (Tried to replay it in Dosbox, but crashes randomly :roll: ), I have had difficulty getting into Locomotion, mainly because the Gameplay was nowhere near as in-depth as TTD.

I had also just found out that you are trying to make a spiritual successor to TT, and just had to sign up to provide my views. I think it was your Transrapid, and your 3D topography screenshots that got me excited about this project. As there is not much information on your homepage, I decided to join the forum and see if I get a reply about the below features, how minor they will be implemented (The procedural methods and alpha blending have been searched):

Algorithms and Procedural Methods- Nearly wiped out many years ago; the power of the algorithm seems to be coming back as a stronger contender. A short list of games that will be featuring some form of procedural methods will be; Spore, Quake wars, and ES: Oblivion.

Alpha Blending- I originally saw this to good use in Generals, and then later on HL2. I think it is great when used correctly. Best placement would be when you are trying to blend rock with grass.

Night/Day cycles- Possibly night/day cycles (toggle feature), with perhaps like 6 months of day and 6 months of night.

Top-down view- A top-down view (toggle feature) which can primarily be used to craft you empire in cities, where an isometric view would be obscured by tall buildings.

I was wondering if somebody has a list of features that will be use in Transport Empire as well, so I can gawk over it, thanks.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I was trying to link you to the TE Wiki page but it keeps giving fatal errors. But you can find the link to it in my signature too. Night/day cycles have been suggested and accepted as an option. Currently, there is no progress but feel free to read the 'old' posts.
DaisyCutter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DaisyCutter »

Hyronymus wrote:I was trying to link you to the TE Wiki page but it keeps giving fatal errors. But you can find the link to it in my signature too. Night/day cycles have been suggested and accepted as an option. Currently, there is no progress but feel free to read the 'old' posts.
Thanks for trying, I did forget to post my idea for Soil Erosion.

Basically the concept is applied by making a rough skeletal structure of the terrain you want, and then through procedual methods, you can apply age to the ground. Obviously making the ground more bumpy through this method will mean more polygons, so perhaps some form of mapping, either displacement or paralax maps.

The amplitude of rough terrain is calculated by:
-How steep it is
-What material brush applied (i.e. grass, rock, etc)
-The age you have set for the map

I also haven't been able to reply in some threads, is that normal?

And I take it that this game will be full 3D?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Alpha Blending, Soil Erosion and New Guy

Post by Purno »

DaisyCutter wrote:Although I was an avid Transport Tycoon player (Tried to replay it in Dosbox, but crashes randomly :roll: ), I have had difficulty getting into Locomotion, mainly because the Gameplay was nowhere near as in-depth as TTD.
Have you tried TTDPatch and/or OpenTTD?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DaisyCutter
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Alpha Blending, Soil Erosion and New Guy

Post by DaisyCutter »

Purno wrote:
DaisyCutter wrote:Although I was an avid Transport Tycoon player (Tried to replay it in Dosbox, but crashes randomly :roll: ), I have had difficulty getting into Locomotion, mainly because the Gameplay was nowhere near as in-depth as TTD.
Have you tried TTDPatch and/or OpenTTD?
Installed TTD win and installed patch earlier today, it works fine now. Thanks anyway

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”