Transport Empire is Dead?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

charlieg wrote:I don't agree that you lost a coder. There were lots of offers for coding but never any real coding tasks. How can you lose coders when you never had a real codebase at any point during the project.
Remember rein ;)?!

Oskar: of course we want a game that doesn't breach patents, copyrights etc. too.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

eis_os wrote:Generally a license where I am able to reuse gamelogic stuff. And I am allowed to used changed code pieces aswell without violation of licensese.
Reuse your stuff under a different license? As long as you retain copyright to your code, and can distinguish your code from $OTHER_PERSON's code, every license permits you to do that.

Reuse someone else's code under a different license is a different matter, though.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Arathorn wrote:It isn't really dead, but we need a programmer with a lot of free time. IE, someone who is jobless.
If you intend to convert the project to C#, then I'm in.
Although there is no chance that it will happen :P
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

BSD or MIT license? Or is that a bit too free?

One of the CC licenses should be fine:
http://creativecommons.org/about/licens ... e-licenses
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Aren't CC licenses actually a little bit too strict? :lol:
I've never heard good things about the CC licenses to be honest.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The CC licenses are not OSI-approved. (This may have changed with version 2.5, but Google found nothing interesting.)

The general consensus is that the combination of the "All derivative/collective works must credit the original creator" and "The creator can demand that his/her name be removed from any derivative/collective work" clauses combine to read "the creator may suppress any derivative/collective work, for any reason or even no reason at all." Those clauses are part of the "by" portion of their licenses, meaning that all their licenses have this problem.

IANAL.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Is there anyone who can talk about the project at MSN Messanger, Skype or GoogleTalk?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

irc://irc.quakenet.org/#transportempire is probably your best bet.

(Note: not "good", just "best".)
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

DaleStan wrote:irc://irc.quakenet.org/#transportempire is probably your best bet.

(Note: not "good", just "best".)
What is transportempire? the room?

My browser (Opera) lists all the rooms and i cannot find it(?)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

No clue how Opera deals with IRC (I use X-Chat), but I just checked, and it's most definitely there.

Clicking on that link should take you right there. If not, connect to quakenet and /join #transportempire
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

DaleStan wrote:No clue how Opera deals with IRC (I use X-Chat), but I just checked, and it's most definitely there.

Clicking on that link should take you right there. If not, connect to quakenet and /join #transportempire
I find the room,
but i think my browser doesnt works good with irc...

i'm downloading x-chat - thanks
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Code: Select all

[11:09:28] * OhadAston has joined #transportempire
<OhadAston> Hay!
<OhadAston> my browser dont list this room
<OhadAston> So I created new room that exists:P
<OhadAston> Someone sees me?
[11:12:16] * OhadAston has left #transportempire
Yes, we see you, but if you leave less than three minutes after you show up, no one will notice until it's too late.
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

DaleStan wrote:

[11:09:28] * OhadAston has joined #transportempire
<OhadAston> Hay!
<OhadAston> my browser dont list this room
<OhadAston> So I created new room that exists:P
<OhadAston> Someone sees me?
[11:12:16] * OhadAston has left #transportempire
Yes, we see you, but if you leave less than three minutes after you show up, no one will notice until it's too late.
OK, thanks,
I don't know how to use this softwares,
i will stay with my browser hopping I suceed to connect with u
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Hmmm, I don't understand how to use IRC,
I'm givving up :P
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No, you do understand how to use it but noone replied to you. Can you post what you wanted to 'discuss' here or send me a PM/email?
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Send you pm:)
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Due to this post, which is quoted below, I wanted to respond in this topic.
alistairgrew wrote:I think transport empire project died
The project is not dead. It's moving really slowly right now, because I'm basically the only coder making any progress.

Also, I decided to focus on the backbone of the game, instead of the UI, which means that it will take some time before people can actually see "something cool".

Until then, please do not make any more "the project is dead" remarks. It's insulting to the many hours I'm spending on the project.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Monti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monti »

Hellfire wrote:The project is not dead. It's moving really slowly right now, because I'm basically the only coder making any progress.
Hm, too many people who wants to create the perfect game. But every decision has disadvantages and if nobody accepts them, no further progress is possible. And every little problem is discussed so everybody is waiting for an answer or for the next "meeting".
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Monti wrote:
Hellfire wrote:The project is not dead. It's moving really slowly right now, because I'm basically the only coder making any progress.
Hm, too many people who wants to create the perfect game. But every decision has disadvantages and if nobody accepts them, no further progress is possible. And every little problem is discussed so everybody is waiting for an answer or for the next "meeting".
Old news, please come with something new, something constructive. Just commenting is easy, all members of this forum can. I, still, like to hear advice on how to do it better. It's never too late to learn.

Topic locked (12112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”