[RFD] Make shunting interesting

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Do we want shunting in Transport Empire?

Poll ended at 15 Nov 2006 23:23

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 13

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

From a coders point of few the following would be the best way for the player (I think what players would like ;) ):
Give train A orders to go to a station (like TTD), you can say which cargo the train should take from that station (RRT like).
Train B is the shunting engine, this engine is assigned to shunt at a station, it doesn't have any other orders than "shunt at the station".
The game would figure out that when train A arrives that train B has to shunt the correct coaches to the train.
It would be something like this in-code:
1) Train A arrives, check if the orders say that the train needs other wagons, continue with 4 the train doesn't need other wagons.
2) Check if there is a shunting engine available at the station, continue if there is one available, wait if not.
3) Train B (shunter) will start its shunting for train A.
4) Train A leaves the station with the correct wagons.

This method would be easiest for the player AFAICT, but it can be quite a PITA to get the intelligence right so the shunters won't turn mad.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What if the correct type of wagons is not available at that specific station?

EDIT: Why would a train need other wagons anyways? That starts to sound like RRT, where wagons just dissapear when they get changed.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

- how long does shunting take?
- how many additional orders does a player have to give to a train to get a shunter to appear?
- as Purno said: where do the wagons stay?
- what if a player forgets the shunting order?

Please realise that we're making a game, not a 1-on-1 copy of the real world.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Shunters are generally low speed and high power, it all depends on the task at hand and how far it has to travel. In general I would say its fairly quick. If a train were to get serviced, it would take longer to get the service than the shunting. (I would imagine)

The wagons stay on sidings, which the player would have to build.

They way I see it you would tell a train to go between two stations. When the train arrives at the next station it uncouples at a siding, and then picks up any consists waiting for it. This process would be automatic because the station master would tell the train which consist to pick up.
The shunter would then automatically get to work on the dumped consist, sorting it onto the other sidings automatically.
Internally (or perhaps externally) each siding will be assigned a label. So siding A would be for cargo to station A, siding B would be for cargo to station B, etc.

Now this type of ordering is different to TT style, so we would now have to include a different type of ordering.
Instead of "Goto Station A (load)" "Goto Station B (unload)", it may now be something like
"Run line service between station A and B"

Let's think about this in another context.
Lets say you want to fly to Perth from Amsterdam. Your first destination would probably be from Amsterdam to London, then London to Singapore, then Singapore to Perth. You would not stay on the same plane throughout the trip. Each person on the plane is then "a consist", and the airport terminal is the shunting yard.

Each plane just flys from A to B all the time and the passengers just "know" where to go by linking together.
Shunting is just a way of giving legs to otherwise stationary wagons so they all end up going to the correct destination.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

A simplification of shutting could be that there is a wagon-ware-house close to the platforms that the shuting loco can go and pick up unlimited amount of wagons, (or out of an total amount that the player can rise by insvesting money). This way you will not get the no wagon XXX available problem.

But really I don't beleve in this feature. It have been put down earlier in a old thread down at page 3 i think. The question back then was if wagons and locos could be separated. After some discussions it was decided that it will be to complicated for to little gain.

So if you want to be frank one can argue that it is allready decided that wagons and locos cant be separated.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

and as most decisions are being revised, i dont think anyone here cares

it just means we might have to fight to get this into the game
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Shunting will probably not add much to the players' experience. Voted 'No.'
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

OK, let me make myself (im)popular by deciding that the 7 votes against shunting are enough to bin the idea. Time to move on.

Topic locked, decision processed (10112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”