Another programmer

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

fujitsu
Engineer
Engineer

Another programmer

Post by fujitsu »

I have been lurking around for quite a while now, posting a bit here and there. I have long wanted to write a TTD clone, preferably 3D, but significantly better, but every time I started, I would realise that I would never be able to do such a big thing on my own, what with all the required graphics, sounds, etc. It is for this reason that I wish to become a programmer for this project.

I have much experience in programming. I started when my father brought home a BASIC tutorial from work, and showed me Microsoft's QuickBASIC. I immediately loved programming. Having the power to program computers was good, especially as I was 6-and-a-half at the time. A couple of years later, at about 9, I picked up a copy of Visual Basic 4 from a second-hand shop for $2, and I began writing graphical Windows applications. About a year later, my father introduced me to the wonderful world of Linux, when he installed Red Hat 7.0 on our computer. I explored, and began to customise the system to my needs. I downloaded much open source software to install, and it was there that I discovered C++.

I looked at the sources, and saw this foreign language. I asked my father about it, and he told me it was C++, but that he knew almost nothing about it. So from there, I set off to learn C++, and on the way learnt much about OpenGL, SDL, and even a little about OpenAL.

I believe that I am now quite competent with C++ and SDL, and I do know a fair bit of OpenGL. I also know a little Java, and a lot of HTML, JavaScript, and PHP. I feel that I could contribute a lot to this project, although I must emphasise that school will always come first, if it comes to it.

I look forward to a response,

William Grant.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Hail and well met.

As you may have noticed we are on the brink of actually writing the game ;) so perfect timing.

If you want to join the coders group - just PM me.

On your way here you might want to get accustomed to the essentials: That is design document, decisions and discussions on the developer's forum and so on. :)

Once again - glad that you decided to join :)

EDIT: altho - looking at your joined date - you already know that stuff :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
fujitsu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fujitsu »

uzurpator wrote:Hail and well met.

As you may have noticed we are on the brink of actually writing the game ;) so perfect timing.

If you want to join the coders group - just PM me.

On your way here you might want to get accustomed to the essentials: That is design document, decisions and discussions on the developer's forum and so on. :)

Once again - glad that you decided to join :)

EDIT: altho - looking at your joined date - you already know that stuff :)
Yeah, I have read the entire DD through a few times. I have read most of the topics in the forum... I have done my research :)

William.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

A warm welcome from me too, William. I guess that you found out that I'm the local entertainer here ;). There's nothing to add to what Uzurpator told you already. I hope you'll find your way to our regular IRC meetings too.
fujitsu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fujitsu »

Thanks Hyronymus, yes, I had already worked out that you were the ring-leader of this group :). I may be able to get my parents to let me stay up for the IRC meetings... I tried to come to the last one, but it happened to be at half-past midnight for me. I will try to come to the next ones now that I actually have a reason to!

William.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I know nothing about coding, but let me welcome you anyways :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Now,.. allthrogtht I am not verry involved in TE anymore, let me welcome you anyway! :) I hope you will bring TE another few steps closer to the target, in one or another way.

Myself I have been somewhat active in the project the last year. But now I have begun studiying intelegent transport systems at university, so I have taken a step aside from the project.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”