Leave of absence

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Leave of absence

Post by Hellfire »

Dear fellow Transport Empire developers,

Lately, there have been some major changes in my life. I’ve started with my graduation project (Master’s thesis), which made me move from my home in my hometown Echt to a small room in an apartment building in Utrecht, which has cut me off from luxuries as a car, daily prepared food and most importantly, an Internet connection. My graduation will take approximately six months, in which I will barely be available for development work on Transport Empire.

Therefore, I think it’s better for the project if I take a temporary leave of absence. Note however, that after my graduation in February 2006, I’ll be back. In the mean time, whenever people need advice, I can be contacted at my email address. Also, from time to time, I’ll comment on active discussions. Also, I can always be contacted to add people to the Transport Empire Developers group, which grants them write access to the Transport Empire Developers forum. Please do so by mail, as private messages over the forums tend to get lost.

For the continuation of this project, I’d like to give you a quote form the foreword of the book “Domain Driven Design” by Eric Evans:
In recent years there has been a rebellion against elaborate development methodologies that burden projects with useless, static documents and obsessive upfront planning and design. Instead, the Agile processes, such as Extreme Programming, emphasize the ability to cope with change and uncertainty.
[…]
Projects have been bogged down by cumbersome documents that provided little value. They have suffered from “analysis paralysis,” with team members so afraid of an imperfect design that they made no progress at all. Something had to change.
The entire text of the preface can be read on the website of the Domain Driven Design book.

Best regards and see you all soon,

Jeroen van Montfort,
a.k.a. Hellfire
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Leave of absence

Post by Purno »

Hellfire wrote:Also, I can always be contacted to add people to the Transport Empire Developers group, which grants them write access to the Transport Empire Developers forum.
hmm... which reminds me...;

would it be useful if I would be added to that list?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Who are the other maintainers of that list? You'ld better ask those.

Anyway, succes on your thesis Hellfire, I hope you have more sparetime then you think you'll have.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Arathorn wrote:Who are the other maintainers of that list? You'ld better ask those.
Hellfire is the group moderator. AFAIK only group moderators and forum administrators can add/remove members. Anyways, I've been added.

I was actually asking all of you if you think I should be added :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I don't believe there's a stop on that list. So if you want to join and have shown some interest you'll be allowed. I think you qualifyfor that quite well. ;)
Maybe it would be a good idea to make Hyronymus group moderator as well.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Arathorn wrote:I don't believe there's a stop on that list.
AFAIK, there isn't, no.

But he has already been added, as you can read in his post.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
Under construction...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Arathorn wrote: Maybe it would be a good idea to make Hyronymus group moderator as well.
AFAIK, phpBB can only have one group moderator per group, unless a modification is installed.
Image Image
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Wooooh... Nice orange topic icons. :P

Anyway...

Here's a status update:

My internship ended four days ago and I'm now working (hard) on finishing my thesis. I've lurked a few times a week for about a month now. It's a pity to see that all the coders have left. :(

Can anyone fill me in on what has happened in the mean time? Which parts are done and which aren't?

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
Under construction...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Well that's easy... nothing happened.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hellfire wrote:Wooooh... Nice orange topic icons. :P
I say the same.. nice to hear from you, and good luck with your thesis. :)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”