[OBJ] User Interface - Collect ideas (finished)

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OBJ] User Interface - Collect ideas (finished)

Post by Steve »

Ideas should be collected about what the user interface needs. This includes the sections of windows, window contents, icons on the screen. General themes can also be discussed. Some of this material is included in the Design Document, so that should be taken into consideration.

Members:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

TBH, I think the TTD and LoMo interfaces are pretty good. The only thing of LoMo I don't like is the rail/road buildings thingy, but currently I don't have another solution for this, except dragging and autocalculate the route. (assuming that TE won't have corners like TTD, but curves like LoMo, in roads and railroads).

And I think icons on buttons are very nice. They can clearify things to people without having troubles with languages and they take less space then text.

Any thoughts?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There is more to a User Interface than laying track. We should also think about an intuitive way to give orders, allow editing of the orders etc. A permanent minimap would be required too, one that shows industries and cities. Also, placement of the various buttons is something to think about. Do we stick them at the top or on the side(s)?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:There is more to a User Interface than laying track. We should also think about an intuitive way to give orders, allow editing of the orders etc.
I think TTD's way of handling the orders is fine. Unless you want more advanced orders.
A permanent minimap would be required too, one that shows industries and cities.
Assuming that 'a permantent minimap' means a map that's always on the screen: Such a map can't be too big, and thus not show too much detail. A map like TTD's one would be better IMO. The window can be enlarged or be shrinked. Would be nice if it also could zoom in and out.
Also, placement of the various buttons is something to think about. Do we stick them at the top or on the side(s)?
Well, you can use the TTD way (on top, with drop down menu's) or the SimCity way (on the left, with drop right menu's. Both are very good IMO.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Is this all discussion sofar? Isn't there noone around who has something important/interesting to add?

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”