[WebR] Layouts

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Your PC is correct, but you only asked for a .zip file :D
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Purno wrote:The zip only contains empty folders, according to my pc...
Forgot the -r flag for zip. :oops: But now I have updated the zip file with a new one hopefully containg the files
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ehm... I don't really see a layout... the index file shows an empty page in Mozilla Firefox, all the others only show some text.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

If you want to view the site online, you can do so here:

http://www.phoenixscripts.co.uk/tempire/home.php

I modified the CSS slightly, line 59 should read
font-weight: bold;
rather than
text-decoration: bold;

For those of you viewing in Firefox, make sure to get the web developer tool here: http://chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Steve wrote:If you want to view the site online, you can do so here:

Ah, now I see it. I think the layout is fine. If the website is going to have lots of different pages, we might want pull down menus.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Purno wrote:

Ah, now I see it. I think the layout is fine. If the website is going to have lots of different pages, we might want pull down menus.
Pull down menus, erm.. No, please. Then you cant navigate by searching. Ie you must use the mouse.

My idea was that if you like to have subpages that are not directly accesable from the menu, you can just place a list of links to the subpages of a page at the top of it.

But if the horisontal menu will be to small I guess we can by altering the css make it apear as a vertical menu.

Steve: Thank you for hosting the demo, so that people without a webserver can look at it.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I didn't look at the PHP side of things, only at the output xhtml + css.

XHTML
=> I would add 2 classes for links in the navbar, so we can make a difference between the current page and the other pages.
=> Put a div around each news item (eg: class=newsItem).
=> Inside that div, add another div for title, author, date/time, contents. (I see you did something like that in the CSS, but it's not in the XHTML)

other small things:
=> I'd use a lighter background
=> "Second beta has been released today."
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Oh, goodness - that shade of blue is painful to behold. I think it would look vastly better with a more subdued tone.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:I didn't look at the PHP side of things, only at the output xhtml + css.
PJayTycy wrote:XHTML
=> I would add 2 classes for links in the navbar, so we can make a difference between the current page and the other pages.
Okay.
PJayTycy wrote:=> Put a div around each news item (eg: class=newsItem).
=> Inside that div, add another div for title, author, date/time, contents. (I see you did something like that in the CSS, but it's not in the XHTML)
The reson I did not was becuse it makes the contents files simplier. Which makes it possible to just include it. On the other hand if we make it database driven then that argument doesn't holds. But yes for each news divs would be possible, since they wont be just typed into the contents file/table. But for stuff that wont be stored as an entry per paragraph that will become more messy.

But I am open for whatever you says. But I am not sure if database driven webforms is the way to go. Since then everyone would be forced to use the texteditor in their browsers, which lays on the same low level as notepad and nano. But if everyone elese wants that, then thats what to do.

PJayTycy wrote:other small things:
=> I'd use a lighter background
That background came from another page, and I havnt made any real changes to the css. (changed logo)

Thanks for your response, I was wondering if it was only me that was pushing on this project.

And Grunt, I think I have answered on your post too. :)

---
Also I have a question, shall we try to develop this to something or, shall we do some thing else. (the CSS should bee seen as a sample, and can be revamped totaly.)

Now, its late now, but tomorrow eavning I might take a look at the site again. (have a work to do too)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

just thought about something:

If we do 2 classes in the navbar (current page <=> links), it might give some problems with the "include" mechanism you used. And, I found an other way to do it, with using CSS only. You can use a:active too (just like you use a:hover). Maybe it will be easier to just try the a:active method first (so you don't need to change anything in your php code).

[edit]damn, the a:active thing is something else. It's what showed (very short) when your mouse is pressed when you click a link. Not usefull. We'll have to use the 2 css classes (or forget about this minor thing all together).[/edit]

Btw, if we only use php for these includes, it's a little overkill. Most servers support SSI (=server side includes) that don't need php. I made my website like that:
http://studwww.ugent.be/~pbusscha/rt3 I didn't use css here, but that's not really the point.

My content files are something like this:

<!--#include virtual="header.html">
title
<!--#include virtual="menu.html">
contents
<!--#include virtual="footer1.html">
<!--#flastmod file="page.shtml" -->
<!--#include virtual="footer2.html">

more info here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi. ... directives

Php can do a lot more though, and I'm not talking about this SSI stuff to make you change your mind, just to let you know another possibility...
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I added a screenshot and changed some css...
Attachments
screenshot of the modified layout
screenshot of the modified layout
look2.png (257.43 KiB) Viewed 531 times
ttsite.zip
screenshot + modified xhtml + modified css
(428.35 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Today I have made some research on rss-readers for php.

I have tried out one, magpierss on my private webserver. I mannaged to display all our one news item with title and body on a page. (I havn't have had time to do more.)
PJayTycy wrote: If we do 2 classes in the navbar (current page <=> links), it might give some problems with the "include" mechanism you used. And, I found an other way to do it, with using CSS only. You can use a:active too (just like you use a:hover). Maybe it will be easier to just try the a:active method first (so you don't need to change anything in your php code).
I dont understand what you are talking about. Do you want that the current page should not be shown in the menu?

I haven't looked on your zip file yet, but plan to do that when I continues to work with that. Today I have focused on the rss feeds.

SSI true have a use, but then is it possible for an included page to print an
by the includer set variable?

Also, for maintaince, which features does people want, especially you who plan to do the updates? Is it important that you should be able to add and edit pages via a webinterface, or is it enoght or maybe eaven better to have each page (exclusive menu, headers and footer) stored in files that you can simply edit via ssh.

As I have allready said I think the second is better both becuse I like VI editing and becse it is easeier to implement. And possible more spider friendly.

But thats just my opinion, and I wants yours too, so that I dont implement something that noone but me wants.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

zuu wrote:I dont understand what you are talking about. Do you want that the current page should not be shown in the menu?
No, it was about giving the user a clue as to which page is the current one. Not that necessary though.
zuu wrote:SSI true have a use, but then is it possible for an included page to print an by the includer set variable?
No, I don't think so, I also don't want you to change to SSI. It was just information for people who maybe didn't know about that technique. I don't want you to change to SSI.
zuu wrote:Also, for maintaince, which features does people want, especially you who plan to do the updates? Is it important that you should be able to add and edit pages via a webinterface, or is it enoght or maybe eaven better to have each page (exclusive menu, headers and footer) stored in files that you can simply edit via ssh.
I would say a webinterface is easiest for the updaters (but more work for the website team :-) ) We don't really need the webinterface from the very start, although we should keep in mind we might add one sometime.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

zuu wrote:I have tried out one, magpierss on my private webserver. I mannaged to display all our one news item with title and body on a page. (I havn't have had time to do more.)
I use MagpieRSS on owenrudge.net, and it works quite well, I'd say - fairly simple to use.

Topic locked, website is up and running (12112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”