[WebR] How serious should we go with the website?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

[WebR] How serious should we go with the website?

Post by Zuu »

[WebR]: This thread is a research thread for the website team. Everyone are allowed to comment as long as you stay on topic and motivate you're arguments.

Question: How serious should we go with the website?

Answers: Plese stay on topic, and motivate your arguments.

----

Related post:
Hyronymus wrote:Can't we just make a slightly more than decent webpage just to get one finally and then see what we'll change about it?
-----

My thoghts:

I wouldn't mind a simple website, such as this alltroght it might be good if it looks somewhat good. :D
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

If we want a serious website, we better do it right away, because now we have time. When we start coding the game, we'll all have better things to do (ie: coding the game).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:If we want a serious website, we better do it right away, because now we have time. When we start coding the game, we'll all have better things to do (ie: coding the game).
Thats a good point. I think that was my initial thoghts, allthroght I think Hyronymus thoghts are vaild too.

Anyway, it is good too know how serious people want to go, that should probably have been the first question.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Better start humble. This game is years from playable state, and we haven't even written the design document yet. Once coding has started, expand the website with things geared to possible contributers. After that we'll see.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

In order to maintain interest in the project, the website should be at least as serious as it needs to be to get out information about the project in a concise, readily accessible fashion for those that will be using the website to determine this information (as I believe most people will be looking at the website for that reason). Once we've got that information in place, the "seriousness" of the rest of the site can really be up to whoever's writing the material for that part of the site.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

If someone hears about the project, they'll come to the website and then you'll need to be sure they stay and look around. Therefore, the website needs to be pretty serious and well presented in order to keep their attention.

I noticed a university's website was all text. Luckily for them i hung around long enough to see the reason, that there is no reason to enlarge file sizes with decoration, only the content is important. I actually completely disagree. Using CSS you can decorate a page using some simple text and downloading a few lines of text won't break your modem. This goes with the fact that a good looking website is A LOT more interesting than a page of black text on a white background.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Steve wrote:If someone hears about the project, they'll come to the website and then you'll need to be sure they stay and look around. Therefore, the website needs to be pretty serious and well presented in order to keep their attention.
Agree - the website will be the first link many people will have to the project and we'll need it to hold their attention.
Steve wrote:I noticed a university's website was all text. Luckily for them i hung around long enough to see the reason, that there is no reason to enlarge file sizes with decoration, only the content is important. I actually completely disagree. Using CSS you can decorate a page using some simple text and downloading a few lines of text won't break your modem. This goes with the fact that a good looking website is A LOT more interesting than a page of black text on a white background.
On the other hand, we don't want it to be so decorative that it interferes with people being able to find the information for which they are looking.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

Can I butt in and suggest Plone or Mambo? These are both great CMSs, the former being used on UbuntuLinux.org for the entire site, extensible with Python, with a self-contained webserver, builtin user structure etc etc.. the latter being a generic LAPM CMS which nevertheless seems nice.

We definitely need to be getting a website in soon.
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

benji147460127 wrote:Can I butt in and suggest Plone or Mambo? These are both great CMSs, the former being used on UbuntuLinux.org for the entire site, extensible with Python, with a self-contained webserver, builtin user structure etc etc.. the latter being a generic LAPM CMS which nevertheless seems nice.

We definitely need to be getting a website in soon.
Have you (or anyone else) tried out Plone or Mambo on your servers?

I think we thoght that it will take the same effort to make a CMS do what we want, as writing our own from scratch.

For plone, is there anyone here that knows python and at last not turn out green faced when coding it?

Dont take me wrong, now, I am not aginst CMSs but I am sceptical if they can preform what we want.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

A sample Mambo installation. Note, the site is old and is not expected to work.
http://www.phoenixscripts.co.uk/main/

I don't like it. It isn't hard to make a site with everything we need. And then we don't have the things we don't need.

Topic locked, website is up and running (12112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”