[WebR] What techniques exist? html,xml,css,php,javascript..

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Arathorn wrote: If your computer can't run Windows XP it can't run TE either.
Haven't you read the FAQ? Or followed the cross-platform discussions?

The FAQ says that it (EDIT: TEmpire) will at least run on Linux. And Linux runs on Mac hardware, and Linux is not equal to Windows XP.

I think that the game (TE) will have support for Linux and Windows at least, and as SGrunt has a Mac, Mac OS compability shouldn't be impossible.

Enoght about that.
Steve wrote:As long as we provide a text eqivilent, i think we should ignore the people on old browsers, especially when they have no reason not to upgrade.
If we go for xhtml + css, every browser with support for xhtml would be able to veiw it, no matter if it can display graphics or not. If we take in mind those who wont use the CSS markup (for one ort onther reson) it should be pretty usefull on textbased browsers.

As an exampe go to http://www.openttd.org and dissable all CSS (can be done via webdeveloper plugin for Firefox) you will notice that they havn't used the <Hx> tags at all, which makes it difficult to read. But the information is still there. If they would have used the <Hx> tags, there wouln't have been anything to complain about.

This I think is the biggest adventage of the CSS modell, where you use divs, for layouting.

About IE, if I am not wrong MS do release the english versions of their software, before the translated versions for most of their software. I don't know if this is true for IE, but if so, that can be a reson for people to wait with the upgrade.
Last edited by Zuu on 29 Apr 2005 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Ehrm, we were discussing the use of W3C standards, and decided that the only trouble would be with IE. I do believe there is a version of IE for Mac, but I think most people stick with Safari, Camino or Firefox for that platform.
IE certainly doesn't run on Unix.

So what are we talking about? Please stay on topic.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Arathorn wrote:Ehrm, we were discussing the use of W3C standards, and decided that the only trouble would be with IE. I do believe there is a version of IE for Mac, but I think most people stick with Safari, Camino or Firefox for that platform.
IE certainly doesn't run on Unix.

So what are we talking about? Please stay on topic.
Yes, I relized that it is a bit offtopic, but you said that if you cant run XP, you cant run TE, which is obviously wrong, and that was what the first part of my post was about.

If you want to discuss more => PM me.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

zuu wrote:... and as SGrunt has a Mac, Mac OS compability shouldn't be impossible.
Eh? What gave you that idea? I don't have a Mac. I may be buying one in the future, though, but that does not mean I have one right now. :) I'm just commenting that a significant portion of people out there have Macs.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

SGrunt wrote:
zuu wrote:... and as SGrunt has a Mac, Mac OS compability shouldn't be impossible.
Eh? What gave you that idea? I don't have a Mac. I may be buying one in the future, though, but that does not mean I have one right now. :) I'm just commenting that a significant portion of people out there have Macs.
Ok, then maybe it was Mek who have a Mac.
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

zuu wrote:
SGrunt wrote:
Ok, then maybe it was Mek who have a Mac.
Yes, it was me :)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Question: Shall we use the docmannager at SF.net, or create something own/use existing software on our web-acount.
  • 1 Upload all minutes and logs to the docmannager.
  • 2 Create a directory (/home/groups/t/tt/tt2/htdocs/meeting) for example where we upload all minutes and logs. Optionally we can write som php code that generates a nice page that lists the files in a way that fits with the rest of the site.
  • 3 Use existing free/open source software that enables ous to do password protected uploads to the webacount, and that then lists the files.
---

I suggest 2., as we can use our existing SF.net acounts for password protection, and it requires not so much work, especially without the optional suggestion. Also this method is probably much easier to make backups than suggestion 1.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I do not have any experience with SF's docmanager
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

PJayTycy wrote:I do not have any experience with SF's docmanager
Perhaps we should give it a test run, and see whether or not it would work?
Grunt
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Grunt wrote:
PJayTycy wrote:I do not have any experience with SF's docmanager
Perhaps we should give it a test run, and see whether or not it would work?
I\ve made some research. As I don't have acess to the admin pages of tt2 I have used the admin pages of another project, raige, as source for this research.
sf.net -> project $PROJECT -> admin -> docman wrote: DocManager Admin:
Documentation may be submitted from any site user. Before the documentation will be visible publicly, a Project Administrator or DocManager Editor will need to change the status of the document from Pending to Active.
  • Submit New Documentation
  • Manage Pending/Active Documents
  • Manage All Documents (Pending/Active/Deleted/Hidden/Private)
  • Manage Document Groups
Multimedia Data:
Since SourceForge.net pages may be accessed with or without SSL, images included in those pages must also be available both with and without SSL (otherwise users accessing the page may receive security warnings). To permit you to serve images from the documents you have placed in DocManager, SourceForge.net provides a facility to serve project-provided images. Each project may store up to one megabyte of multimedia data (bitmap and vector graphics, sound clips, 3D models).

[Edit Multimedia Data]

Automation:
SourceForge.net provides a tool, adocman, to automate all DocManager operations (anything possible via the web interface may be performed using our command-line tool). adocman may be used from any platform that supports perl. The adocman suite provides a number of tools for automating (from the command-line) SourceForge.net operations which require authentication. Currently, DocManager operations and the retrieval of data from the XML export facility are supported. adocman is available for download from the 'sitedocs' project on SourceForge.net.

Permissions:
All SourceForge.net site users are permitted to submit documentation to a project (they need not be listed as a developer on your project). Developers not listed as Project Administrators may be provided access to maintain content within DocManager. Use the Members page to designate developers as DocManager Editors. DocManager Editors may perform all DocManager operations (approve content for display, remove content, change document content and settings).
After looking around a bit, I found out that you can create document groups in which you can place documents.

So I tried to create a group "test group" which was quite straight forward. However, when I tried to add a document I had to go to admin and change its status from pending to active, after I added it. To the point I am admin of that project, and eaven with admin status I have to go the long way and confirm the document.

Another disapointment is that all documents have to be in html format, for exampel you have to use <BR> for line breaking.

However using the adocman tool (documents) it shouold be possible to write a warper script that allows editors and admins to upload and set status to active with a single comand.

If you like to browse the document (and the group) I created they are avilable here.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

It's nice to see how this docmanager works, but basicly it is used to add webcontent to the site in a wiki-style (ie: anybody can upload) instead of really serving documents.

It seems usefull for the same things a wiki or sticky threads are usefull : FAQ's, manuals, ...

I don't think it's of any use for our meeting logs. Maybe for the minutes. The logs just look better in non-html, the minutes may look better in html.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

VOTE-ID: Meeting logs and minutes

So probably the esiest and best solution will be to upload them to a folder on our webspace on SF.net using scp/pscp.exe. To keep things consitent all minutes will be named meeting-yyyy-mm-dd_minutes.txt and all meeting logs should be named meeting-yyyy-mm-dd_log.txt. Where the date should be the date when the meeting begins in UTC.

VOTE: Do you agree that we will use this solution for meeting logs and minutes?
ANSWER: Yes or No (clearly!)
You must include "VOTE-ID: Meeting logs and minutes" in your answer, so that I/we know that you responded to this vote. If you haven't the vote won't be counted.
START: now
CLOSE: 2005-05-16 02:00:00 UTC

If you vote several times, it is the last vote that counts, but you're free to use the EDIT button if you changes your mind.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

VOTE: Do you agree that we will use this solution for meeting logs and minutes?
ANSWER: Yes (clearly!)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

obviously i vote,

ANSWER: Yes
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

ANSWER: Yes

Ah, the joys of the "quote" button, and then a little manual editing :P
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

ANSWER: Yes - why not?
Grunt
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

VOTE-ID: Meeting logs and minutes.
ANSWER: Yes.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”