[WebR] What techniques exist? html,xml,css,php,javascript..

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

VOTE-ID: Meeting logs and minutes.
ANSWER: Yes.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

VOTE-ID: Meeting logs and minutes

Voting Closed

Number of votes: 9
Number of votes on Yes: 9
Number of votes on No: 0

Result: Yes

Anyone oposes?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If any does oppose it's just a plain pity, zuu. The voting is over (period) :twisted: .
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

The site should use XHTML 1.0 Strict & CSS 2.0, because unless you want to use SGML, run it through a 70s printing press, and then have the output displayed via a cine camera on a TV screen, there is no other way. Font tags, etc are dead, so CSS must be used. Obviously, the Article 508, Bobby AAA, etc etc must be obeyed, so valid XHTML Strict is a must (Tidy screws Strict up, btw.)

I advocate use of PHP, to such an extent that we either use a premade CMS or write our own, in order that contributors need not know HTML.

As far as W3C standards are concerned, if anybody makes anything slightly more complicated than Owen's site using CSS we may as well just stick a redirect to http://www.getfirefox.com on the homepage for IE users. IE 6 is a useless application, and I doubt very much that IE 7 will be much better. As for IE5... well, let's just not go there. Urgh!

Is there any chance at all of using Valve's Source graphics & physics engine? I don't think there is, but is there?
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

benji147460127 wrote:Is there any chance at all of using Valve's Source graphics & physics engine? I don't think there is, but is there?
It would be useless, because that engine is optimized for high-detail / small rooms. We need one optimized for low-detail/huge world.

But that's offtopic.

About IE : You can say it's useless etc, but it's not so hard to create a site that is valid xhtml/css AND renders correct in IE too.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

benji147460127 wrote:The site should use XHTML 1.0 Strict & CSS 2.0, because unless you want to use SGML, run it through a 70s printing press, and then have the output displayed via a cine camera on a TV screen, there is no other way. Font tags, etc are dead, so CSS must be used. Obviously, the Article 508, Bobby AAA, etc etc must be obeyed, so valid XHTML Strict is a must (Tidy screws Strict up, btw.)
Whats wrong with HTML plus CSS, and not using the font tags etc.

What is Article 508, Bobby AAA?

benji147460127 wrote:I advocate use of PHP, to such an extent that we either use a premade CMS or write our own, in order that contributors need not know HTML.
Personaly I think that most users, well at least computer geeks know HTML. Contributors wont need to know about the meta tags. They only have to know about <H2>, <H3>, etc and <A> and a few more. Why invent and teach wiki tags, or phpBB tags, when HTML tags works.

However I am open for CMS systems, if we want it, and they can be extended to fit our needs. Also, somebody still have to maintain it.

Topic locked, website is up and running (12112006).
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”