Wiki Technical Team and team pages in general

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Wiki Technical Team and team pages in general

Post by ChrisCF »

One of the things I'm working on right now is a series of templates and things for individual teams and groups to use to build their page on the wiki. Ultimately, I would hope that we can make more use of it as we progress, without being entirely dependent on the forums. As you'll know if you've tried tracking any kind of project on these forums, after 20 pages it becomes rather difficult to find information brought up previous above the discussion. What I need for this at the moment is suggestions on what a team might need on its page.

We are looking at two different types of group - task groups and working groups. Task groups have a specific objective, they complete the objective, and then they close (e.g. "change all references to X to refer to Y"). Working groups have on-going tasks (e.g. "keep user documents up-to-date so they make sense"). What I'd need to know is the sort of information that such a team of people might want to track. I've already got some ideas down, and I'd appreciate it if you could avoid duplicating anything that's already down by sending your ideas directly to the wiki (no registration required), and not this thread, so they're all in one place.

----

In other news, I'm looking to set up a sort of Wiki Tech Team, for the purpose of performing WikiMagic in various forms, including telling people about markup tricks, templating for regularly-done things, and a few others. This would include working with whoever deals with other things on the Wiki to make sure they're using up-to-date trickery. It would *not* require actively finding and changing things - this would be specifically technical aspects of managing the wiki (remember that you can be in more than one group).

You would be required to either know a lot about the MediaWiki syntax and a rough idea of how it works, or know a little and be willing to learn - though there's no entrance exam (the documentation at Wikipedia is rather good for this, and more comprehensive than anything we'd come up with). Volunteers should reply to this thread.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

I'll volunteer for the Wiki Tech team seeing as I'm such a MediaWiki/Wikipedia hotshot. ;)
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Fine, but we'll have none of your fancy ArbCom tricks here, OK? :P
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I've made a wiki page for the website team. Perhaps shall we/you create a page group (or what they are called) for all team pages.

Topic locked, old Wiki is lost (12112006).
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”