[RFD] Liveries

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

So then lets vote A or B:

A = Company colours.
B = Real life colours.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

A
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

A

But somehow, this vote does not offer much of a choice: almost everyone will choose A because it's the most sensible way to go.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I vote A
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

A, but with a suggestion:

A vehicle set can optionally include a real-life colour set.
Iff the game is being played in single-player mode and there is only one company in existence, the real-life colours may be used.
As soon as more than one company exists, or the game in question is set up for multiplayer, company-liveries are always used.
(The player could choose to never use real-life colours though.)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

A. and I won't mind if jfs's addition is accepted too.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

A, that suggestion would require more work, so i'm not sure. It's always possible that people making new train sets can make real life colours, which would cover any need we have there.

As it seems A is going to be taken, is anyone against a system like in Locomotion, where individual types of transport can be given seperate primary and secondary colours? So you can have green and pink planes and orange and white boats?
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Oh that's cool with me, not necesary, but not more work for me anyway. 8)
Actualy that would be quite cool.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:As it seems A is going to be taken, is anyone against a system like in Locomotion, where individual types of transport can be given seperate primary and secondary colours? So you can have green and pink planes and orange and white boats?
I am aginst. Becuse the reason for A is that you should be able to se whos vehicle it is just by looking at it. By allowing companies to have multiple colours, things will become to confusing especially if there are many competors.

I a assume that company Q can have blue ships and red trains while company P have red ships and blue planes. Else we would go out of colours verry fast.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That's too negative, zuu. If you check against already used colours you can easily avoid that scenario. Another solution could be to have the secondairy colours around in thin stripping or something.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I can see what you mean zuu. Perhaps we could hold some restriction, keeping a primary colour the same throughout all vehicles, with the secondary colour being whatever the user likes for each transport group.
I think it also falls into an option setting, so the user could configure whether companies are allow to stray from their colours.
Either way, it'll be better than real life skins, as you can learn that your planes are blue. But you can never tell the difference if they all look alike.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

I'd be interested in seeing an option whereupon a player can design a custom skin for their vehicles if they so desire. Just assign a certain colour range to be the company's colour and let the player do whatever design they wanted with that and apply it to the vehicles. If another player didn't have the same skin, the game could just display the default skin for a vehicle.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

One thing I would like to see migth be that certain vehicles are never player-coloured. Eg. most steam locomotives would always be black no matter what. The rest of the train would still be player-coloured or whatever.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

That could potentially get confusing if players are just running steam locomotives around by themselves. I'd still like to see at least some marking on the engines so that they're somewhat readily identifiable as belonging to one player.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I agree with SGrunt. Just make some small strips, or a flag or anyting. If you think it is important that they are black.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

between A and B ...
colors are getting from A but I can set up some additional logos,marks etc to livery
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

jfs wrote:One thing I would like to see migth be that certain vehicles are never player-coloured. Eg. most steam locomotives would always be black no matter what. The rest of the train would still be player-coloured or whatever.
In the UK, lots of steam locomotives were painted green, red and blue, often independently of the company they were owned by (I'm thinking pre-nationalisation here)
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

From the recent meeting, it seems clear that people prefer the following:

* All default models for players should have player-colour skins.
* The above shall not exclude extra prototypical skins, as long as a player-colour skin is provided
* Colour scheme shall be 2-tone as in Loco.
* Individual vehicle types can have their own 2-tone colour scheme, with a third common colour applicable to everything (possibly the company primary colour?)

If nobody objects, I will be locking this thread as decided.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Could you clarify the first two points a bit?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

If someone creates a British electric locomotive for the game, they should include a player-colour skin, but if they want to add a skin showing original BR colours, that's OK as long as the player-colour skin is available.

So:

* player-colour only: acceptable
* player-colour and original: acceptable
* original only: not 100% acceptable

Better?

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”