[RFD] Docks

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] Docks

Post by Steve »

[Don't know what the codes mean, so you can substitute the ??? for whichever]

Docks. Where we going with them? I think i'm safe in saying that we'd having one docking area for each ship, possible connected to a larger docking area.

Sea considerations: Where do ships go when they can't dock? You'd have to set a waiting place after you build the dock.. a straight line down the channel would do. The ships themselves can use common sense to get down it. Some sort of collision detection on the water would be nice. Make sure they can "reserve" a route in the water ahead. Cargo ships don't really enjoy turning.

Land considerations: After watching a program on Discovery, i've learnt there is A LOT going on on the docks that we may with to model. Any extra external routes (train, truck etc) should be added on manually as the user sees fit and would not be "attached" as such.. just next to the docks.
One idea is to limit the maximum storage abilites of the dock to the actual size of the land area of the docks. But this wouldn't make much sense unless this tactic is used in all other stations. Perhaps it's just better to make a set depth of dock required around the actual docking points? (With maximum distances to prevents people building docks from sea to city, exploiting catchment areas). Add some pretty pictures and it'll look like a proper functional dock.

Comments? Ideas? Criticisms?
Last edited by Steve on 27 Jan 2005 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Question: I'm not familair with the proper english word but to avoid confusion I uses the word harbour. My confusion lies for a part in the dutch name for a 'depot for ships'. We call that a dok. If english dock is just the same as a harbour, how do you call a 'depot for ships' in english?

Sofar I like the idea about capacity of the harbour (call me stuborn :p). Perhaps you can expand capacity by linking a train service to it instead of a RV service (faster overturn) or by building larger warehouses around the harbour or perhaps in a city nearby.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well i see no reason why we can't use dock/habour/port, not sure which one is technically correct.

Train and RV services don't affect the capacity as such.. just how fast you can get stuff out. The situation i was thinking of around docks was with container ships. The containers are basically parked in spots until they are loading onto a train or truck. I think we should avoid building specific buildings for the dock, but instead just enlarge the dock area and let it handle it. (Think Sim City)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

If we model this kind of storage capacity, we should do it for all stations. It doesn't make sense do it only for ports.

I would vote -no- for this idea though:

What to do if a ship can't unload all of its containers? Dump them in the sea? Or wait untill some of the things are removed? What if the capacity is mostly taken up by export goods that need to go on the next ship, but that ship can't enter because the current ship can't unload... ==> More micro-management problems...

Ofcourse, this doesn't prevent us to provide such a possibillity in the code and set the storage at infinity for the moment untill somebody wants to take the time to really implement it.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [???] Docks

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:[Don't know what the codes mean, so you can substitute the ??? for whichever]
minutes from 2005-01-23 wrote:

Code: Select all

* pjaytycy suggests to start the topic titles with a certain keyword to
	  distinguish them.
		- [FRDF] = "FRD Finalisation"
		- [RFD] = "Request for discussion"
This topic would be [RFD].
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm all for collision detection between ships. I don't want to see two ships sailing "on top of each other" like in TTD.
Also, only one ship at each dock at a time.

I think a dock is a construction along land, where a ship can lay, well, docked, for loading and unloading. A docked ship is usually in water.

A drydock is a special dock that can be emptied for water though a lock. The ship can then be repaired etc.

On a similar note, collision detection between aircraft? Or can we just assume they always fly at different heights?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

jfs wrote:On a similar note, collision detection between aircraft? Or can we just assume they always fly at different heights?
I think we can asume that they are flying on diffrent heights. If we want we can have CD close to airports where plenes are cricling.

EDIT: Ops.. OT
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What about this FRD sugestion:
FRD wrote:You should be able to have not only TTD-esque docks, but also large seaports with built-in truck and/or train stations.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

I like that suggestion in the FRD. It's realistic, but not too realistic.

What about the growable docks, like in simcity?
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Hyronymus wrote:What about this FRD sugestion:
FRD wrote:You should be able to have not only TTD-esque docks, but also large seaports with built-in truck and/or train stations.
I like it.
How about generalising it, and have stations made from several parts actually "flow together" making it look like one big facility instead of several separate facilities only loosely connected? It would of course just be graphical, but it'd still look better :P (Eg. the ground between two slightly separated station parts would magically turn into paved goods storage until something else was built there. You don't own that land though.)
Sorry. OT.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

jfs wrote:Sorry. OT.
Its not OT. It's dock-related ;)

I think we should go for this "several structures" idea. Perhaps we should apply the same ideas to docks as on airports.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hellfire wrote:I like that suggestion in the FRD. It's realistic, but not too realistic.

What about the growable docks, like in simcity?
Please don't losely reffer to other games. Try to make an explanation that can stand on its own.

A dock with builtin train station. Can the user decide how long the train station should be?
jfs wrote:How about generalising it, and have stations made from several parts actually "flow together" making it look like one big facility instead of several separate facilities only loosely connected? It would of course just be graphical, but it'd still look better :P (Eg. the ground between two slightly separated station parts would magically turn into paved goods storage until something else was built there. You don't own that land though.)
Sounds good.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

In Simcity, you build docks by "painting" a bunch of tiles near the see in Dock tiles, then dock related buildings and docks themselves would be built in that.
We want to build our own docks, but as i suggested, the land bit of the dock could easily be extended to allow more of something.. (capacity, if we use it)

I don't like the idea of a dock including a station.. i'd prefer to build my own. Then you have no restrictions on size, position etc. But if a train station is built near enough to the dock (or actually on it) then there is no reason not to allow different dock-themed graphics.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I like the expandable possibility option to account for increased traffic but I rather build a train station myself too. We can always have train stations connected to harbours 'blend in' with the harbour.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Why not just allow several piers in one station. As you are alowed to have several railway platforms in one staiton.

Simple!, and we reuse a to the player known concept.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

- Large areas on side of water, dockland can be expanded, offering greater capacity of docks.
- Each docking point can hold one ship at once.
- All the points together make the whole stucture.

Topic locked, meeting decisions processed (09112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”