TE alpha

Discussions related to programming Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

TE alpha

Post by uzurpator »

Greetings.

The files below contain a very alpha version of TE engine (windows only - sorry). Now it just creates a terrain and displays a portion of it.

What I expect are some performance numbers, so please:

1. Download and uncompress files to a single directory (you need to change the name of 'te - release.part1.exe.rar' to 'te - release.part1.exe' to get self extracing archieve)
2. Run the te - engine.exe
3. On the console you should see some numbers - the ##>##>##> represent frame time, and each 96 frames a frame rate is displayed. Please note both numbers - average frame time and average frame rate
4. If you have a multicore processor then please run 'mt.bat' and see if the numbers are different.
5. 'ESC' exits the program, 'M' generates new terrain

With report please state:
CPU (processor speed & type)
GPU (graphics card model)
Operating system
normal performance figures
multi-threaded performance figures
any problems (asserts, exceptions etc)

(files are somewhere below this post)
Last edited by uzurpator on 19 Apr 2007 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Some people might not understand rars ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

XeryusTC wrote:Some people might not understand rars ;).
If you read the instructions you see that it is actually a self-extracting rar-file.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

And what are YOUR stats gentlemen? ;)

Anyhow - alpha 2. Should be MUCH faster. The same rules apply as before.
Attachments
te - release.part2.rar
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 658 times
te - release.part1.exe.rar
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 640 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TE alpha

Post by Purno »

uzurpator wrote: 3. On the console you should see some numbers - the ##>##>##> represent frame time, and each 96 frames a frame rate is displayed. Please note both numbers - average frame time and average frame rate
Avg fps: 28.9307
Last fps: 31.9767
With report please state:
CPU (processor speed & type)
GPU (graphics card model)
Operating system
normal performance figures
multi-threaded performance figures
any problems (asserts, exceptions etc)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1.8 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1 build 2600)
?
?
Whenever running the TEmpire application my mouse cursor is gone.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

The dowloading of the files fails majorly for me somehow. It keeps asking for a rar archive with a different name :(.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

rename them, to te_releasepart1.exe and te_releasepart2.rar , worked for me.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Alpha 2:

AMD Athlon XP 64 3000+
ATi Radeon 9250
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Performance figures?
No Mouse cursor here either, but the command line does see mouse movements. The screen is quite dark.
Average FPS: 30.88
Last FPS: 32.4484

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @2.13GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
No mouse cursor either

Without mt.bat:
Average FPS: 25.9114
Last FPS: 26.5748
Time: Around 3700

With mt.bat:
First time: Crash: AppName: te - engine.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: te - engine.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00003d90
Second time: no crash but the program hangs after rendering terrain.
Third time: runtime error
Fourth time: hangs again.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TE alpha

Post by Hyronymus »

Running te-engine.exe:
Avg fps: 28.3939
Last fps: 25.4609
Cursor disappears when the te - engine window is the active window; the command line doesn't stop when closing the te - engine window, framerate rises (naturally).

Running mt.bat:
Avg fps: between 12.6002 and 31.311
Last fps: between 0.4187 and 33.0739.
Cursor disappears when the TEmpire window is the active window; the command line doesn't stop when closing the TEmpire window, framerate rises only marginally.

System configuration:
Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 1GB memory
GeForce 4 Ti4200 at 4x AGP
Windows XP SP2
Standard windows configuration
Multi-threaded performance figures < ???

It seems that mt.bat loads 2MB less into my systems memory than te - engine.exe. Both processes draw CPU power in intervals but I think that is intended.
Last edited by Hyronymus on 19 Apr 2007 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

uzurpator wrote:And what are YOUR stats gentlemen? ;)
I was using Windows XP inside vmware on Linux, therefor I could not run anything that need 3D acceleration, I though.

However, I get same error in WinXP running dirrectly on the computer. => "d3dx9_31.dll" not found. (log attached)

From "dxdiag" I've got that I have: DirectX 9.0c. In the File-list, d3d9d.dll have an exclamation sign, and in the notes-box it says that d3d9d.dll is a debug-version dll, which is slower. (Probably due to I have the SDK installed)
Attachments
log.txt
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

VMWare really doesn't support Direct3D, there is a emulation mode (mostly experimental aswell)
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/w ... d_d3d.html
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

eis_os wrote:VMWare really doesn't support Direct3D, there is a emulation mode (mostly experimental aswell)
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/w ... d_d3d.html
Yes, I know. I just wanted to test, therefor I did not report it back then. But I get the same error also when I run XP directly on my hardware (a day later) without vmware in between. The log/report is from when I was running XP directly on hardware.

But I so wish they soon release VMWare with 3D support. :D
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

From the other thread I saw the lack of "d3dx9_31.dll" is due to DirectX is not updated. As it seams that ontop of DirectX9c, there is monthly versions that you manually have to update. (Microsoft Update can't do it for you)

Anyway, my report:

te-engine.exe:
Avg fps:27.416
Last fps:32.0078

System configuration:
Amd Athlon 64: 3500+
1536 MB ram
GeForce 6600 GT
Windows XP SP2 (home edition)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

New alpha for your testing pleasure.

This time there are two tests
1. run te - engine.exe and see the frame rate / frame time
2. run both of ".bat" files in the archieve and report both frame rate and frame time.
Attachments
te - update.exe.rar
Already downloaded previous TE-alpha - then decompress this file into TE directory overwriting previous version
(570.28 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
d3dx9_31.zip
If your computer complains about the lack of the d3dx9_31.dll, then download this file and decompress it into your te -alpha dir
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 460 times
te - full.exe.rar
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 491 times
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Ok,

Here are some stats:
AMD X2 4200+(65W) 1GB Ram, Geforce 7600GS PCIe 256MB

The frame rate isn't very steady, I post here randomly grabs...

-------------- without parameters ----------------
Average frame rate:24.6617
Current frame rate:32.1012

Average frame time:0

Average frame rate:19.9218
Current frame rate:11.5244 <------ The lowest I could find...

Average frame time:0

Average frame rate:30.4988
Current frame rate:32.0078

-------------- no frame limit ----------------
No frame limit:

day:28 month:9 year:1901 day of year:271 time:0

Average frame rate:744.98
Current frame rate:1057.94

day:21 month:6 year:1903 day of year:172 time:16

Average frame rate:1129.37
Current frame rate:1122.88

-------------- 4 threads ----------------
hangs randomly...
Do you compile with statical libs and if yes, do you have multi threading aware libs? I tried to grab the source, but there is no project nor a makefile to see how you compile and did you stripped the exe file? Atleast Ollydbg doesn't seem to find debug informations... Ogre doesn't seem to 100% thread safe as well, be sure to only use ogre only in one thread...

Reference:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 602#202602
(The carefully bit makes me worry)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

eis_os

1.floating FPS is due to me rebuilding the geometry each 8 days of game time. This is due to me envisioning tiles changing their texture during the gameplay (seasonal changes such as snow). I will change it with dynamic texturing (should not impose such performance drop), but just not now - other things are imvho more important.

2. ogre is not thread safe at all actually :/. I am doing heavy locking, but nonetheless - I don't have a multicore computer (yet), so I cannot test in real concurrent evironment. This will be my next point of interest actually.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well if you compile with statically c libs, there are two versions... aka compiled with /MT with microsoft c to use libcmt.lib or useing /MD.

Specially consinder aswell the console:
Writeing to it with two threads can aswell create havok. Would it possible to write the stats to a file?
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Well - Boost will not allow threads to be linked if you don't have /MT or /MTd, so that is not a problem.

The problem is, that 4 threads work dandy on 1 core system. I cannot test reliably what happens on multicore system since I don't have one at hand. I'm going to get a 4 - core computer in a month or so, so that should help with the multi-threaded stuff

EDIT: I'm going to make the stats be displayed on the main screen. Writing them to file is also a good idea :)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well, can you create a debug build?, maybe some debugging informations may help to see where it constantly stops...

PS: I would introduce a numbering system so you actually know what stats or error are in a specific build... Otherwise you may end with bug reports of old versions but actually can't check it...
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Well - once I get a regular internet connection i was thinking about making a nightly-like system with centralised online repository - just like TTDpatch has. That would also fix the versioning methinks.

I can make a debug - no problem :) But it just need a beejeezus of debug dependancies (around 30 or so megs)...

Return to “Transport Empire Coding”