Engine Progress (uzurpator)

Discussions related to programming Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

eis_os wrote:I wonder where the other people of the Project are?
Trying to follow the code talk and not understanding much of it, while feeling a bit useless, even though I'm supposed to draw 128x128 textures for doors and such, which is damn huge, and that's why I didn't do it yet.

Crappy sentence, that was.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Lol, I read this thread too, but I don't understand any of it. I just like the idea of progress. And Purno, you can put those textures on hold for now, I have to experiment with the ones you've already made, but I don't have time this weekend.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Progress:

The logical flow of the terrain display is 80% ready.

Next:
Make the logical flow threadproof
Tile factory, Material factory
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Terrain renedring pipeline is 70% complete

Now - conceptual work on tile factory
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Progress:

Some framework and researach. I plan to upload my code to some SVN (either sourceforge or the TE SVN from the forums)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Please excuse lack of updates on progress :) I had... other things to attend to.

Nevertheless - I have fixed some minor bugs and am now working on the scene organisation scheme.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Light is abit wonky - now getting resolved.

Next: Controls
Attachments
scr1.jpg
scr1.jpg (228.7 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks interesting... :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Getting there
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

most recent source
Attachments
te - source.exe.rar
(123.1 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

latest news :)

I work on the gui. Mouse cursor now works, as well as zoom in/out. Moving map with mouse also works, but needs certain tweaks.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Sounds good, surprise us with a screenshot when you think you have something solid :).
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

uzurpator wrote:most recent source
Is it still windows only?
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

If you get the dependancies right & change the timing functions then it should compile under linux.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Is the source going to be SVNed?

Edit: There's no makefile? What do I need to do to make it?
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Build the makefile I persume. I use Visual Studio - so I have .sln.

Ahyhow - The SVN is going to be created as soon as I get internet connection @ home.
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

I'm trying to port this to Linux.....

Post by neroden »

So, uzurpator, I grabbed your last source code archive and am working on porting it to Linux, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard. Anyone else should feel free to try, though, since my free time is very limited right now.

So far I've hit the following snags:
-- Where's cwrap.h ? Edit: figured out this isn't used
-- Where's ttdvar.h ? Edit: figured out this isn't used
-- In main.c do you mean
#include <time.h>
since you've written
#include "time.h"
After all, time.h is a standard header and you haven't included your
own copy of time.h.... or it is another missing header?

I think I've found all the external dependencies:
-- the standard C++ library
-- BOOST
-- OGRE -- what version are you using?
-- OIS -- what version are you using?

(It will definitely be simpler if I use the same versions you're using)

It looks like I have to write a Linux version of timing.h to replace the Windows-centric version you have? That shouldn't be too hard.

There's probably more portability stuff worth doing, but right now I'm just trying to get it to a level where it builds and can be alpha-tested.
Last edited by neroden on 20 May 2007 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the work neroden, I too wish to get a Linux version working but wouldn't know where to start. Hopefully a good framework can be set up for all future versions too.
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

Some tips for uzu

Post by neroden »

First tip: "latitude" has only two of letter "T". It's misspelled "lattitude" throughout the code. I suggest a search-and-replace before it gets any worse. I didn't fix this.

Second tip: the sense of "framelimit" is backwards in main.cpp. I went through and swapped all the values (true/false) so that "framelimit=true" means that there *is* a frame limit.

Third tip: the option handling sucks. I fixed it by putting it in a loop.

A patch to main.cpp for the second and third tips is attached. I also added the copyright notice and license statement.

Update
Fourth problem: unsigned int(foo) does not work as a cast with the gcc compiler (it doesn't parse properly). This is done in several places. Change it to static_cast<unsigned int>(foo) and it will work. I can provide a patch if you like.
[/b]
Attachments
main.cpp.patch
Patch for silly things in main.cpp
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

Ported successfully

Post by neroden »

Well, I ported it. And actually got it to run! I see the pretty terrain grid! :-) Good start.

I'm providing it in two forms.

(1) A working source tree, for those who want to test it, *with* the media directory from the binary alpha release. In .tar.gz form, so hopefully any Linux user will know what to do with it. :-)

(2) A big patch, which is hopefully the easiest form for uzu to add my changes into his source tree. This includes the new files README.LINUX, Makefile, and timing_posix.h. It also includes copies of resources.cfg and plugins.cfg, because the 'reasonable defaults' are different on Linux. This *doesn't* include the media directory.

There were a lot of changes necessary. Most of them are because GCC is a lot pickier about syntax than Microsoft C++ (like all those casts). Some are genuine portability (the ifdef WIN32). The changes in main.cpp weren't necessary but I couldn't resist. I also put 'standard' GPL headers on the files which I made significant changes to, just as a matter of 'best practice'.

One other things I noticed:
-- common/gridArray.c and common/themes.c MUST be compiled with C++, NOT with C. I put some hackery in the Makefile to force this, but it would be better to just rename them to have .cpp or .cxx extensions.

The Makefile is real hackwork. I promise I'll do something cleaner and more elegant next time (no promises when 'next time' will be though)
Attachments
te-source-linux.tar.gz
Working source code tree for testing on Linux
(496.2 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
te-source-linux.diff
Diff from uzu's last posted source
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

Return to “Transport Empire Coding”