Roll-call

Discussions related to programming Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Roll-call

Post by aarona »

I think it would be useful to know who is still on the project, how much time they have available and what areas they would like to work on. The previous list is a few months old now and I'm sure that some people situations have changed. Also I think this should be a good opportunity to recruit new members and develop "teams" for the following categories

Core
Graphics Engine (to be formed in liason with the TRoS engine)
Networking

Are there any more?

With any luck the DD should be good to go by the end of the Summer/Winter with sufficient information to let the Core developers and the Networking crew start to make some actual progress. (That is, to have real code)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Does Core include "management" and such? Otherwise we might need an additional group for that. I'm available for that (as you may have noticed :lol: ).
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I'd not sure I'll get round to coding, as I'd need to learn C++ to a decent standard first. But if I do, it'd probably be the core stuff.

Obviously given my position, I'm avaliable for the management too and I've already established a link with the TRoS engine people, seeing how it can contribute to the project.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

I'd like to work on the Core. I've been working on the Core and Networking before. GUI's are not my "thing," although I can if I have to. ;)
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

I think it would be a good idea to wait until the DD is finished (or at least getting there) before going too deeply into the core. Otherwise you end up with hacked-up code because some idea suddenly doesn't fit into your previous concept of how things should be.

Thats my experience from when I was younger embarking on larger projects without any planning :wink:

I don't think that the Networking side of thing really depends too much on the core. I mean, the data, yes, and what it sends, but those are just "things". What to send, when to send it, total throughput, server loadings etc are (IMHO) things which the Networkers need to consider.

For example, in the example Hellfire has produced, we have an object called Map, and the information from some set of co-ordinates is sent. Regardless of what the Map turns out to be, we have some concept of what needs to be sent and when.

Naturally overlap is good, because the server requires the core and networking and the cilent requires the GUI, networking and fragments of the core. (or does it? This needs to be thought about)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I think that I'll work on everything but mostly on networking because that is the main thing that I do in TRoS. I will work on the core and the graphics engine too.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Roll-call

Post by Purno »

aarona wrote:I think it would be useful to know who is still on the project, how much time they have available and what areas they would like to work on.
I'm still on the project, tho I can't code anything useful I guess. I should have a reasonable amount of time available. I'd like to work on some 2D graphics, do I wonder if there's really a thing I can do. Besides, I'd be interested to take some part in discussion, tho I won't be interested in all discussions.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Now that I'm able to post in this section again :P...

I have a full-time job during the week, so I can really only spare a few hours at the weekends.
I would like to work on the game logic part of the project, which I guess would be in core.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
fujitsu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fujitsu »

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I'm still around and eager... I'd like to do the game logic etc., but I could do stuff with the GUI if necessary.

Return to “Transport Empire Coding”