RakNet

Discussions related to programming Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

RakNet

Post by Hellfire »

Yesterday, DominionSpy mentioned an open source network framework for games, RakNet.

I've played around a bit with this framework and here's a preliminary result. :)

More details will follow later, when I've built the framework into the code of task 3, milestone 3.
Attachments
testraknet.zip
To compile, link against all of raknet's .cpp files and link against ws2_32.lib.
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Okay, here are the sources of task 3-3, which now uses RakNet for network communication.

To be honest, I like using this library, even though I haven't done anything crucial yet.

A small changelog:
  • class Socket is no longer necessary. ClientSocket and ServerSocket differ too much.
  • ClientSocket and ServerSocket are now a thin layer around RakClient and RakServer.
  • The functionality added to RakNet is our own Packet format: ClientSocket and ServerSocket translate RakNet packets to Transport Empire Packets (tm)
The binaries are growing larger and larger. RakNet adds in around 350Kb per executable. This will be my last post including executables.

Edit: RakNet does not add 800Kb. I was measuring incorrectly.
Attachments
task-3.3+raknet.zip
Binaries are included.
RakNet is not included!

For instructions on adding RakNet to the source code, look in the raknet directory.
(495.69 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...

Return to “Transport Empire Coding”