IDE howto's

Discussions related to programming Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

IDE howto's

Post by Hellfire »

Before adding your own howto's, please contact me first. Do not reply in this topic! If you have questions, please open a new topic.

This thread is meant as a reference for installing an IDE to be able to work on the code for Transport Empire.

At this moment, I use Eclipse as an IDE for C++ and Java development. The IDE, the Compiler and the Debugger are all Open Source software, which should not give you problems with licenses.

Here's how to download and install it:
  1. Download and install a recent Java Runtime Edition, because Eclipse is Java based. (1.4.2 or 5.0 will do)
  2. Download Eclipse. Click on the Download tab and download the Eclipse SDK.
  3. Unpack the zipfile you've just downloaded to a nice location, e.g. C:\Program Files\Eclipse or /opt/eclipse
  4. Install the CDT toolkit for Eclipse. You can find instructions on the CDT project page.
  5. (Windows only) Download and install the current Msys. I recommend installing it in C:\msys. The website is messy. If you can't figure it out, download MSYS-1.0.10
  6. (Windows only) Download and install the current MinGW. I strongly recommend installing it in C:\msys\mingw. Rename C:\msys\mingw\bin\make.exe to mingw32-make.exe afterwards. If cou can't figure it out, download MinGW-5.0.2
  7. (Windows only) Download and install the current GDB, if you want to debug the code easily. ;) I strongly recommend installing it in C:\msys\mingw. If you can't figure it out, download gdb-5.2.1-1.
  8. (Windows only) Download and install the current msysDTK (Developer Tool Kit). Install it in the same directory as Msys, which is C:\msys if you stick to my recommendations. If you can't figure it out, download msysDTK-1.0.1.
  9. (Windows only) add MSYS and MinGW to the path variable, e.g. add C:\msys\bin;C:\msys\mingw\bin; to the PATH variable.
That should be it. You now have a working Eclipse + GCC + GDB environment.

As an alternative for step 8, you could create this .bat file:

Code: Select all

@Echo off

PATH=C:\msys\bin;C:\msys\mingw\bin;%PATH%
eclipse.exe
Place the .bat file in the same directory as eclipse.exe. The advantage of this approach is that you will not need to change the PATH variable, which will not break other IDE's or SDK's.

When we start using the CVS on Sourceforge, I'll add a howto for the CVS functionality in Eclipse to this message.
Last edited by Hellfire on 19 Mar 2006 12:48, edited 3 times in total.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

ChangeLog:
  • Added msysDTK
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...

Return to “Transport Empire Coding”