Page 1 of 1

Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 16:22
by Olsen
Playing TTD deluxe with 2.0.1 alpha 48.

How to get rid of these pop-ups about new vehicle etc. ?

\Olsen Denmark

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 19:03
by Josef Drexler
Olsen wrote:
Playing TTD deluxe with 2.0.1 alpha 48.

How to get rid of these pop-ups about new vehicle etc. ?
The new vehicle popups you can't get rid of. I believe all the "etc."
ones except error messages you can get rid of though. Try changing the
news message settings.

--
Josef Drexler | http://jdrexler.com/home/
---------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
Play Chess, not Basketball. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 20:51
by Olsen
Josef Drexler wrote:
The new vehicle popups you can't get rid of. I believe all the "etc."
ones except error messages you can get rid of though. Try changing the
news message settings.
They're all at "summary"

\Olsen

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 23:29
by Owen Rudge
How to get rid of these pop-ups about new vehicle etc. ?
Hmm, I had to move back to my ISP's news server since news.individual.net
went commercial (and don't accept PayPal or anything very convienient for me
as someone without a credit card), which doesn't filter out spam... thought
this was going to be another spammy thread, until I saw Josef had replied to
it. ;-)

--
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 23:37
by Josef Drexler
Olsen wrote on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:51:58 +0200:
Josef Drexler wrote:
The new vehicle popups you can't get rid of. I believe all the "etc."
ones except error messages you can get rid of though. Try changing the
news message settings.

They're all at "summary"
Well, other than new vehicles and error messages, what popups are you
getting?

--
Josef Drexler | http://jdrexler.com/home/
---------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
Play Hockey, not Baseball. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 06:52
by Afoklala
Op Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:29:28 GMT schreef Owen Rudge:
How to get rid of these pop-ups about new vehicle etc. ?

Hmm, I had to move back to my ISP's news server since news.individual.net
went commercial (and don't accept PayPal or anything very convienient for me
as someone without a credit card), which doesn't filter out spam... thought
this was going to be another spammy thread, until I saw Josef had replied to
it. ;-)
Many people have that problem. One solution, if you don't mind babelfishing
some Polish, is Gazeta.pl. You apply for an email account there, and you
get access to their newsserver as a sidedish. It's totally free, and since
I joined (two months ago) I have yet to get the first spam message (or any
message at all for that matter) from them. The news server is simply good.
Another, not so good, but still working newsserver is Maxwell,
dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu. You don't have to apply there at all, you just
create an account in your news reader and you're done.
--
Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
I hate it when people tell me I cannot take criticism.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 09:50
by Olsen
Afoklala wrote:
Many people have that problem. One solution, if you don't mind
babelfishing some Polish, is Gazeta.pl. You apply for an email account
there, and you get access to their newsserver as a sidedish. It's totally
free, and since I joined (two months ago) I have yet to get the first
spam message (or any message at all for that matter) from them........
Yeah, yeah, funny. You know I'm talking about Transport Tycoon?

\Olsen

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 22:17
by Tom Cumming
On 05/04/05 07:52, Afoklala wrote:
<snip>
Another, not so good, but still working newsserver is Maxwell,
dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu. You don't have to apply there at all, you just
create an account in your news reader and you're done.
That one appears to be read-only - I can read stuff but it won't
let me post anything. Or have I done something wrong??
Thanks.

--
Tom Cumming

New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 06:57
by Afoklala
Op Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:17:03 GMT schreef Tom Cumming:
On 05/04/05 07:52, Afoklala wrote:
snip
Another, not so good, but still working newsserver is Maxwell,
dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu. You don't have to apply there at all, you just
create an account in your news reader and you're done.

That one appears to be read-only - I can read stuff but it won't
let me post anything. Or have I done something wrong??
Thanks.
Oh, that could very well be true... I have configured my newsreader to read
from several servers, and I post through my own ISP.
Another free one I use is Euronet (fb1.euro.net), but that may be read-only
too; also it has rather few newsgroups.
--
Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
I hate it when people tell me I cannot take criticism.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 06:58
by Afoklala
Op Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:50:32 +0200 schreef Olsen:
Afoklala wrote:

Many people have that problem. One solution, if you don't mind
babelfishing some Polish, is Gazeta.pl. You apply for an email account
there, and you get access to their newsserver as a sidedish. It's totally
free, and since I joined (two months ago) I have yet to get the first
spam message (or any message at all for that matter) from them........

Yeah, yeah, funny. You know I'm talking about Transport Tycoon?

We don't seem to understand each other.
Owen mentioned that he couldn't connect to his newsserver any more, so I
suggested another one to try. What's so funny about that?
--
Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
I hate it when people tell me I cannot take criticism.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 10:54
by topjes
"Tom Cumming" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:d2v2ob$spi$1@joesbox.cjb.net...
That one appears to be read-only - I can read stuff but it won't
let me post anything. Or have I done something wrong??
Thanks.
Hi,

I use this server (gazeta.pl), I have the option "This server requires me to
log on" (OE) checked and it works well.

topjes

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 18:27
by Tom Cumming
On 06/04/05 11:54, topjes wrote:
Hi,

I use this server (gazeta.pl), I have the option "This server requires me to
log on" (OE) checked and it works well.
Yeah that one's working fine - it was the dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu
one I couldn't get to work. It doesn't really matter, I was just
curious..

--
Tom Cumming

New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.

Re: Annoying pop-ups ?

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 08:59
by S?bastien WILLEMIJNS
Afoklala <afokl...@afokla.la> wrote in message news:<fogueyv91k54.yffn37e1072m$.dlg@40tude.net>...
Many people have that problem. One solution, if you don't mind babelfishing
some Polish, is Gazeta.pl. You apply for an email account there, and you
get access to their newsserver as a sidedish. It's totally free, and since
I joined (two months ago) I have yet to get the first spam message (or any
message at all for that matter) from them. The news server is simply good.
Another, not so good, but still working newsserver is Maxwell,
dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu. You don't have to apply there at all, you just
create an account in your news reader and you're done.
dp-news is read only

list of free newsserver at
http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com