Server - Pregame

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Server - Pregame

Post by aarona »

Okay...

We have an initial signal which say "Okay server, start setting up the game please" (this could be just through running TEServer.exe or whatnot)

Should this be {scripted or a GUI} on the {server or client} side.

Who gets the say on the overall game options? Everyone or just one person?

The server has now been set up and has to wait for people to join.

The initiator, or someone else, gets options as to the specifics of the games options. (Map details, general options, etc)

People join and choose their individual options.

Everyone clicks "okay", and/or the initiator says "force start the game"

A signal has been sent which says "Okay server, the options are all in, the players are all nomiated, lets start the game" (The options may specify that people are allowed to join after the game has proceeded, etc)

iterate through all players
{
Send Data (send what?)
- the map perhaps?
- the game options?
}

Wait for x seconds and/or
Wait for signal that everyone has got the map/etc

Start the game...

Okay...so how should everything BEFORE the game starts be handled?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I like your proposal, though I want to add something about overall settings:

I remember we said that there will be named sets of overall settings such as "Default", "Extra Chalenge", "Simplicity", you name it, that will be shiped with the game. But we will also need a custom settings profile such as the patches window in OpenTTD (or the TTDPatch configurator). I gues a neat feature would be to be able to save custom profiles to a file so one can have several custom profiles and upload them to the forums.

1. Before the game creator creates the game he/she needs to make sure there is an existing profile either that is shiped with the game or a custom profile.

2. The game creator choose to create a new game

3. The game creator can among other game specific settings choose which profile to use.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

To recap what you are saying (correct me if I am mistaken).
Someone runs the TEServer executable file.
Up comes a GUI.
They select some options, profile, password, etc.
Click start server.
Done.

I suppose an advanced user could have a file and run the file

Code: Select all

TEServer -r someoptions.ini
and have it auto-run?

If people who connect don't have the correct profile (for a custom profile) then they will be directed as to where to download it, or the server could send it to them (unless its too big), or just be rejected.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

aarona wrote:To recap what you are saying (correct me if I am mistaken).
Someone runs the TEServer executable file.
Up comes a GUI.
They select some options, profile, password, etc.
Click start server.
Done.

I suppose an advanced user could have a file and run the file

Code: Select all

TEServer -r someoptions.ini
and have it auto-run?
That sounds good, the GUI should have a button to save a someoptions.ini file so one can use the GUI on the workstation to create a settings-file and then throw it to the server if it is another computer. (but that is just details)
aarona wrote:If people who connect don't have the correct profile (for a custom profile) then they will be directed as to where to download it, or the server could send it to them (unless its too big), or just be rejected.
Profile-files would be quite light compared to what the server will got to do when the game starts, so I see no issue with having the server transfer the files. If you by redericting suggest that the client will download the file automatically then I guess it is okay, though I guess downloading from elseware may delay the game for everyone.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development”