[DD] Route building

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[DD] Route building

Post by Hyronymus »

Route building has only been discussed once before in this topic. Just like pathfinding it never made it to the Design Document.

Question 1: which route building approach is recommended for Transport Empire?

Please be aware that route building is not the same as pathfinding. Discuss pathfinding here
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Question 1: The one Hellfire mentioned is very good from an abstract point of view. I believe it can be done. Thus I recommend using that one.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This is a bit sloppy from my side but something was actually submitted to the Design Document at sometime:

Routes
To make vehicles travel between two or more stations a vehicle must have a route that tells it where to go. To achieve this there are three concepts possible:
  • Concept 1: a route is assigned to a vehicle by an orders form like in TTD. Vehicles or entire consists can be copied (instead of order lists to save on clicking) when being bought
    Concept 2: a route is planned as a set of orders and vehicles are bound to it (or bought with the route in mind)
    Concept 3: a route is planned like above, but with consists that are built along with it in a set of exact copies.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Hyronymus wrote:
  • Concept 1: a route is assigned to a vehicle by an orders form like in TTD. Vehicles or entire consists can be copied (instead of order lists to save on clicking) when being bought
    Concept 2: a route is planned as a set of orders and vehicles are bound to it (or bought with the route in mind)
    Concept 3: a route is planned like above, but with consists that are built along with it in a set of exact copies.
In that case I favour concept 2.
I don't think 3 because it doesn't seem to allow two trucks of different cargo types to occupy the same route like 2 does. (So as a TT example, you couldnt have a livestock and grain truck work on the same route, they would have to be different even though they are the same...)
Perhaps a Vote of the three concepts?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Surely, however, you could define multiple instances of one route.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

But...but...do I have to?!?! Wahhh.... :cry:

Ahem...I'm not fussed either way really. Just wanna hurry to process along...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Dave Worley wrote:Surely, however, you could define multiple instances of one route.
What do you mean, do you mean multiple ways of taking a route or have one route being used by multiple vehicles?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hyronymus wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:Surely, however, you could define multiple instances of one route.
What do you mean, do you mean multiple ways of taking a route or have one route being used by multiple vehicles?
Well from what I understood of the proposal, you'd make a route FOR the service you were building, which would limit the trains allowed to take the route to be hauling that cargo.

But even if this was the case, wouldn't I be able to determine an identical route for ... say ... livestock?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I think 1 is the best. 2 would be complicated GUI-wise. At least, AFAI imagine it, you first make a 'route' (list of orders) and than assign trains (or other vehicles) to that route. Tho, you'll get an überlarge list of orders eventually. Quite annoying GUI wise, I'd say.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Why can't 1 & 2 be combined.

Have a route-window for management of routes, where you can edit / delete and create routes. From this window you can get a list of vehicles that belong to a certain route too.

In the buy vehicle window, when the veihicle is bought let the user to choose if he/she wants to use an existing route ore create a new one (which will automaticaly be assigned to the vehicle).

---

I guess routes can be shared between several vehicles, but as far as I know that was not the question.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development”