[DD] Maximum number of players

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[DD] Maximum number of players

Post by Hyronymus »

In this topic the maximum amount of players was discussed. The Design Document doesn't mention a maximum amount of players though. I realise that the maximum amount of players is something to be determined by the game host. But I wonder if we shouldn't keep a maximum number in the back or our heads during the development of Transport Empire.

Question 1: Do we need to know the maxiumum number of players to develop Transport Empire?
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Question 1: No, not at this stage.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

I think the only maximum number of players should be, say 256, which is certainly a high enough hard limit that no one will complain about not having enough players.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

unsigned char
I can live with that.

We can review this in operation as to "recommended" values. (So people dont crash their computers stupidly choosing 255 computer opponents, slowing their computers to < 1 frame per year)
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

I say 31, this is a slightly more sensible number, as computers are getting more powerful and intenets are getting faster, but I think the LAN could be 63, as they are hugely faster.
EDIT: and I dont think more than 100 players would want to be on one map, unless that map was HUGE!
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

m3henry wrote:I say 31, this is a slightly more sensible number, as computers are getting more powerful and intenets are getting faster, but I think the LAN could be 63, as they are hugely faster.
EDIT: and I dont think more than 100 players would want to be on one map, unless that map was HUGE!
Note that you're not talking about current computers, but about computers in a few years. Computers will be more powerfull in the future, so I think that 256 players is quite a good hard limit, or maybe even 128.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

256 is good because its unsigned char + 1.

Even with computers today all you/we would have to do is set up a system where the game can be run on multiple servers. Now I don't think we will have this system in mind but it could be done.

There is no reason why we couldn't have a MMOTG (...transport game) but that isn't the goal here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I say for a normal game, the old TTD limit of 8 is quite sufficient, even on a bigger map. Of course the AI is gonna be better :D
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hardlimit at 256, sure that's okay.

Put a softlimit at say 8 that will be configurated in the server config.

Perhaps even a half-soft limit of say 16 or 32 could be put in the code, perhaps related to the config pharser. Which will only need a recompile to change. (but this last half-soft thing is could just be overkill. Not our problem if people change their config to 256 and put their computers into super-lag.)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I don't like limits.
I'd say pick a hard limit of 256, and let the user decide on his own soft limit. If someone wants to multiplayer with 255 other peeps (which he'll never manage), fine with me (tho the game would probably be quite unstable). If someone wants to play against 255 AIs on a tiny map, sure, who cares, let him decide. TBH, I see no reason to put a soft limit on the game.

Btw, do spectators count as players too? Are we talking about the number of player or the number of companies?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think the number of players connected to the server, regardless of their status.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So, to rephrase that so it works with single player too; The maximum amount of players (both human and AI), wether they control a company or not.

Sounds fine. :))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Return to “Transport Empire Development”