[DD] Research

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

aarona wrote:It would also seem unfair if someone had Diesel's technology and never shared it, meaning that only one person can build Diesel engines!
Eh... the other companies can research the same technology, I imagine...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Purno wrote:Eh... the other companies can research the same technology, I imagine...
Not if it is patented. (I'm talking real life here)

Regardless I think we need to either have a poll, a vote, or something to decide this. Seems every man and his dog has an opinion, but that doesn't help us reach a decision.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If it is patented, one has to buy the technology from the one who patented it (the one who researched it first), I'd say.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

If I may butt in to your conversation here, I have something to add to this.

In real life the patent system was designed to allow an inventor to see the benefit of the work he put in to his invention by giving him a government mandedated, limited time monopoly on its production or use. The generally accepted limit is between 10 and 20 years depending on the country and how long it's taken to register. The reason for this limit was to prevent a permanent monopoly in the part of the inventor, by allowing the technology to be used by everyone. If, by the time the patent expired, the technology was seen to be beneficial then it would soon become ubiquitous. One part of the patent system that you all seem to have forgotten is the idea of licensing. Patent owners can license their patents to other manufacturers, allowing them to produce the same patented item as long as they pay for the priveledge. Once the patent expires they can continue to produce it for free. Either way, the inventor gains from his investment. That's what patents are for, to encourage investment in new technologies and then share the results because in order to patent something you have to describe it. In exchange you get to keep it all to yourself for a time. The alternative was keeping it secret and, in all likelihood, never profiting from it.

So, if I may be so bold, I'd suggest something similar in this game. A simple patent system that allows you sole use of certain inventions for a certain period of time, the ability to license them to other companies for that same period, and the ability to bid for licenses of other companies' patented technology for use in your own company.

Ok, back to lurking. :)
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”