[DD] Terrain types

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[DD] Terrain types

Post by Hyronymus »

Terrain types

Terrain types define the costs of clearing or terraforming a tile. They also define which buildings can be built on a terrain type. All terrain types belong to the terrain class.

Question 1: what terrain types should Transport Empire have by default?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I can imagine terrain types is merely a texture which is part of some bigger 'class', I mean, you could have different colors of rocks (some are more brownish, some more greyish), but I guess removal costs and whatever can be built on them are quite equal?

Anyways, I'd like to start the collection with;
- Grass
- Sand
- Snow
- Rock

It all depends on how big we want the terrain collection to be, as there are quite an amount of different grasses, for example.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

We shouldn't loose ourself in shades of grass, we should "define" basic terrain types. All the colouring etc is up to artists. Do you mean desert with sand by the way? I wonder if farmland needs to be defined as a terrain type or as an industry type.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, you could define certain terrain classes, each being able to have multiple textures.

That way artists can make custom types of grass (graphical wise), and add them under the 'grass class', which means TE will handle them just as any other grass.

And sand could either be desert or beaches.

If farmland is treated differently compared to other terrain types (for example, the quantity of farmland around a farm determines how much the farm produces), I'd guess it'd be better seeing it as an industry type. (Or, as something like trees, which influence on town ratings or whatever (just loudly thinking now)).

With TE Development, we could just make one type of grass, but make it possible for artists to add more types of grass.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That's the approach I would like to take too. But you said beaches are a type of sand terrain and I think it's better to add something like coastal terrain as a type and have beaches as a "type" of coast.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Could be, tho wether a piece of ground is adjacent to the sea or not, doesn't really influence what can be built on them, does it?

I mean, rocks could be coastal too, couldn't they?
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

dont forget that we need mountains
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

M4rek wrote:dont forget that we need mountains
Yes.... Purno did point out Rock.

I think there should be a seperate definition of "Desert sand" and "Beach sand" since there is often something of a difference. But as you say, this would be upto artists and is not for discussion here.

Also - Concrete. It's unusual to have much grass in a city.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

M4rek wrote:dont forget that we need mountains
Terrain type is independant from Terraforming (the height of the terrain, and height differences).
Dave Worley wrote:I think there should be a seperate definition of "Desert sand" and "Beach sand" since there is often something of a difference. But as you say, this would be upto artists and is not for discussion here.
It is. I think we should have pre-defined groups of terrain types. As buildings and all kind of stuff depend on several groups (e.g. buildings can't be built on rock, for example). It would be a mess if someone (contributor) would add a new terrain group, as TE doesn't know for all existing buildings wether they can be built at that new group (since, I think, that should be a property of the building (tho, that's discussable)).
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

ice
desert sand
beach sand
"rock"
"grass"
concrete
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Why do we need concrete? Isn't concrete a road type?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I disagree on the term "ice". Ice is frozen water, and would be more relevant for a lake or something. That's not really a terrain type. I guess, water on the snow terrain could be automatically be frozen ice (you'd need some heavy ships to break the ice then). Or, ice could just be a texture under the group snow.

Tho, are snow covered mountains rock or snow?

btw, concrete is indeed a good one.

EDIT: @Hyronymus, concrete could be pavement where buildings are built. Concrete could be something which could be built. E.g., whenever a building is demolished, the concrete stays, and forms a good foundation (cheap) for new buildings, tho trees and such can't be built.

At least, that's how I imagine it.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

ice, you know, for arctic... they actually have really heavy lorries running those routes.

as for snow covered mountains and such, they should be whatever they are, but covered with snow and considered as (xterrain+snow100%4ft)

that means terrain + snow - snow coverage (% of TILE) + snow height/depth
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:EDIT: @Hyronymus, concrete could be pavement where buildings are built. Concrete could be something which could be built. E.g., whenever a building is demolished, the concrete stays, and forms a good foundation (cheap) for new buildings, tho trees and such can't be built.

At least, that's how I imagine it.
That's odd though as it never happens like that. Buildings have a foundation, you don't build a house/an office by just pooring concrete over ground.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, call it foundations then. It looks like concrete from the top ;)
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

But always part of a construction process and thus not a terrain type.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

when you excavate rock, it will be costly and the opposite for earth, but if you add to that terrain, you will put on earth, so increasing height will only be affected by the amount of earth placed, although if decided to put rock on instead (optional) you could have steeper grades and higher cost?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

m3henry, the question is which types of terrain we should include by default. Terraforming costs, grade of slopes etc. is not part of this discussion.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

hyro, you really dont take no sh!t, do ya? :wink:

ok, any of the following can be covered in snow, as well as trees and undergrowth etc...or even water
  • desert sand
    beach sand
    shingle
    *grass*
    mountain (rock)
    other rock
    concrete/foundations etc
    ice
you may notice grass is indicated by **, that is because grass is the ultimate of "broad terms". there need to be at least 5 different types of grass (graphically) in the first release

you may also notice that all these can be covered by snow, i explained this in a post somewhere above. they can also be covered by whatever life and constructions. and even by water. if you flood an area, the sea* bed remains the same material

*any other body of water you can think of.

for now, this concludes my suggestions
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I still disagree but I would like more input from different people too so I'll shut it for now.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”