[DD] Terrain types

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

what exactly do you disagree with?

"i disagree" is so vague....
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm going to bed now, I'll shed more light on it tomorrow.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

M4rek wrote:shingle
I've never seen this word before, so I looked it up on wikipedia and it seams to have many uses, but I found many material related things with roofs that are made of lots of "tiles". But I can't relate to what you would mean with it.

Can you explain what you are thinking about?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

http://www.answers.com/topic/shingle wrote:shin·gle2 (shĭng'gəl) pronunciation
n.

1. Beach gravel consisting of large smooth pebbles unmixed with finer material.
2. A stretch of shore or beach covered with such gravel.

[Middle English.]
shingly shin'gly adj.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

my list:
  • dirt
    rock (soft/medium/hard)
    sand
    loose rock
snow can form on anything. water, that can be on top of any of these (such as lakes) and you will notice surfgace colour change. but sea will be one a few colours e.g. you can paint coral reefs shallows and deep parts too.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

M4rek wrote:there need to be at least 5 different types of grass (graphically) in the first release
Agreed, if they all are grouped together in one 'grass' group which all share the stats.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Question 1: Terrain types are textures on map tiles. Each terrain type has properties that define construction costs, terraforming costs and the possibility to construct buildings or lay track on a terrain type. Default terrain types in Transport Empire are:
  • - grass
    - sand
    - rock
    - coastal
Ice, snow and concrete are not terrain types. They are the result of weather influences or the result of construction processes. They are "inflicted upon" a terrain type but will not become a terrain type as a result.

Each terrain type can have multiple models that each define the same terrain type. I.e., grass can have two models (lush grass, dry grass), coastal three models (shingle, beach, bank).

The DD entry for terrain types is:

Terrain types

Terrain types are textures on map tiles. Each terrain type has properties that define construction costs, terraforming costs and the possibility to construct buildings or lay track on a terrain type. Default terrain types in Transport Empire are:
  • - grass
    - sand
    - rock
    - coastal
    - water
Terrain types allow multiple models that each define the same terrain type. I.e., grass can have two models (lush grass, dry grass), coastal three models (shingle, beach, bank) etc.

Topic locked.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”