[FRDF] Vehicle propulsion

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Its the same here (118 cpl diesel vs 110 cpl petrol), but it does make sense if you think like an oil company. If diesel is 15% more energy dense then you wont need to buy as much. Hence they charge more!
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

aarona wrote: How are we going to relate fuel usage to each engine. (Will we use just a simple power = petrol, or something more complicated which depends on some engine parameter, eg efficiency)
would it be possible to simply pull up engine stats that show fuel consumption and power output?

but this wouldnt really work for vehicles where you cant get these stats...

i say use a complex thing to calculate fuel consumption to its greatest detail (even things like going uphill) but simply give an estimated running cost/yr to the player in the details window.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

It would sure be nice to see that running costs have risen because the vehicle has traveled/struggled more. This would mean that vehicle makers have to give some kind of fuel consumption, and that running costs are made up of fuel costs/maintenance etc.
Ofcourse this would lend itself for a nice window with (useless) stats, fuel consumption per mile for example.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

But when buying a vehicle (new or second hands) you are interested in the average fuel consumption. I suggest we limit the information given when buying a vehicle to just the average. In a Vehicle Details window we can always add realistic fuel consumption data.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

that sounds cool, lets have that! :D

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”