[RFD] Company rating

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

[RFD] Company rating

Post by PJayTycy »

This is not a comment on a specific part of the FRD, but more to start a discussion about company ratings.

How many ratings does a company have?
  • One general
  • One for each city
  • One for each industry
What should have an influence on the rating (from the FRD) ?
  • The amount of transportation to/from a city
  • The number of industries owned (eg: a big employer has a better public image then someone who imports all goods from somewhere else)
  • The number of tourist attractions owned
  • The amount of pollution its industries+transport creates
  • Bribery
  • Destroying trees
  • Running for governor/mayor
  • HQ offices
  • Having trains pulled by steam engines after the steam-era
  • Visiting a dock with a cruise ship
  • Training of employees
  • Advertising
What will be influenced by the rating (also from the FRD) ?
  • The possibillity to build stations/tracks in a city
  • The distribution of cargo among different transport companies (part of the transportation choice)

Isn't this a little ridiculous? So many influences, and only 2 effects. What do we want to achieve with adding the company rating? Forcing the player to build HQ's? Forcing the player to provide a good service?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [RFD] Company rating

Post by Hyronymus »

I strongly agree with the long list of influences. Aren't these influences just the necessary ones:
  • The amount of transportation to/from a city [or industry]
  • Bribery
  • Destroying trees
  • Training of employees
  • Advertising
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Idea (from FreeCiv): Have a trustary rating for each company. When a company makes less nice things like fool a city or an AI, drop the trustary rating. (in FreeCiv if you break an aliance youre trust rating drops, and you will never realy be able to recover the trust rating.)

But maybe thats not that good in a Transport game as in FreeCiv.

The result is that you cant fool all cour compitors and still get contracts with them. But mayby that can be done by droping the company rating.

Suggestions for what should be affected by (global) company rating:
* Probability that an industry wants to create a new contract with a company.
* How willing towns are to do stuff that the company asks for. (airports, ?)
* How willing AI transport companies is to do diplomatic stuff with that company. (Infastructure sharing, etc.)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Most of the influences are good, with the following exceptions.
* We can own tourist attractions?
* Governor/mayor is unrealistic unless you plan on letting the player actually make the decisions.
* Steam engines: I presume that's a bad thing? I'd rather take a nice fast, reliable, economic electric train.
* Training of employees: Personally, i would train my employees anyway...

You may only have 2 things that are influenced there.. but they are important things that the company will need to take care of.

The actual general ratings could be split up into transport type. Just because your trains run on time doesn't mean your planes can fly. Per city and industry is good though.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I'd suggest that there is some rating for the whole country you're playing in, and a rating for different local authorities (LAs).

Let me elaborate:
1. Before you start, you don't have any ratings.
2. As soon as you start building somewhere, you'll get a rating from the LA. People all around the country hear about it, so automatically all LAs give the same rating to you.
3. If you start building in a different LA, you start off with the general country rating, but while building the LA gets a different view of you, and your rating there will change.
4. People around the country will hear about what you do in the LA and your country rating changes.

So there are two ratings: one for the country and one per LA, the country rating is an average off all the LA ratings of the LAs where you have done anything. The LA rating is the country rating modified strongly by your deeds in that LA.

Your LA rating should be dependant of things like the amount of landscape changes done by our company (the more, the lower the rating), consumer satisfaction of people in the LA, advertising.

Your rating at LA's should define what routes you will be allowed to build.

As for industries, I'm not sure if it was decided wether we would work with contracts, maybe your industry rating (wich is based on your reliability in dealing with other industries) would affect wether an industry would like to do business with you. If you are bidding with a competitor on a contract, the industry may just decide to make a deal with the company with the best rating, but if the company with the lowest rating offers a much lower price, it may decide to deal with them.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I like your suggestion, Arathorn but one small thing. What if your rating in your first city (Citytown) is extremely bad. According to your the LA rating of Citytown will also be the starting level in all other cities, making it very hard if not impossible to get started there. Why not use a formula that thinks of towns where you didn't conctruct anything yet as 100% LA-rating towns. A map with 19 'untouched' towns and the already mentioned Citytown with LA-rating of 87% will then result in a nationwide rating of

Code: Select all

((19)*100) + 1*87)/20 = 99,35%
The general formula would be:
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

On the other hand, we could introduce a (for lack of a better term) "visibility rating", which starts at 0% and increases as your company becomes more well known. This rating would determine how likely one individual rating would affect other individual ratings; e.g. if almost nobody has heard of your company, few will care if one city doesn't like your service very much, but if everybody has heard of your company and a city doesn't like your service your overall rating would drop noticeably. This could of course lead to systems which would determine a city's influence e.g. cities with larger population would have more of an influence on overall ratings.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

That sounds rather like the ratings in Loco, where your global rating is 0. Certain things might become open to you onloy if you have a given global or local rating. Your first venture into a town starts you off at 50% (fair starting point). A requirement for passengers by bus might be global:0 and local:0 - for trains, this might require local:30. Getting anything by air might require a global rating of 20% (this way people can't cheat in getting their ratings straight off), meaning you have to stay on the ground first.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

- Global rating, town rating, industry rating, station rating. Each effecting each other slightly.
- When your new in a town, you start with your global rating.
- Global rating is a rough average of other ratings.
- List of things that influence rating:
* The amount of transportation to/from a city
* Bribery
* Destroying trees
* Visits to a station by special vehicles, such as cruise ships.
* Advertising
* Destroying of town buildings/roads
* Mass change of landscape
- Things influenced by rating:
* The possibillity to build stations/tracks in a city
* The distribution of cargo among different transport companies (part of the transportation choice)
* Building on the local authority's ground.

Status: Nearly closed. Need finalisation on influence list.
Last edited by Steve on 22 Feb 2005 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Steve wrote:* Visiting a dock with a cruise ship
This could be generalised into "Some vehicles have a special impact on rating when they visit a station (eg. a cruise ship visiting a dock)", such that any kind of "cool things" can be made ;)
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Since explicit pollution is gone, I would suggest a desirability for vehicles. Rather than explicitly noting that Pacers are disgusting little things, rate them as having a low desirability, since it's not just pollution - passengers just hate the things anyway ;-)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

That would mean, of course, that the older a vehicle was, the less desirable it would be - who wants to ride around in a fifty year old passenger car, anyways? :)
Grunt
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Desirability should rise for steam engines after the 1970's though. Maybe it's nice to be able to put certain engines aside for museum usage (going OT in a fast pace now).
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Hyronymus wrote:Desirability should rise for steam engines after the 1970's though. Maybe it's nice to be able to put certain engines aside for museum usage (going OT in a fast pace now).
Why should it? I want a fast electric train, not an old, smelly steam train!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Because I thought the option of a higher rating for riding an old steam engine through a town made it to the current FRD.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [RFD] Company rating

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

PJayTycy wrote:How many ratings does a company have?
  • One general
  • One for each city
  • One for each industry
what about one for each station ? this splits last two options into more complex areas
PJayTycy wrote:What should have an influence on the rating (from the FRD) ?
  • The amount of transportation to/from a city
  • The number of industries owned (eg: a big employer has a better public image then someone who imports all goods from somewhere else)
  • The number of tourist attractions owned
  • Bribery
  • Destroying (any destoying) or land leveling
  • Running for governor/mayor
  • HQ offices
  • Having trains pulled by steam engines after the steam-era
  • Visiting a dock with a cruise ship
  • Training of employees
  • Advertising
and what about steam tourist trains in late eras ? I think this needs to eb more complex ... let's see now ... travelling with steam engines is of course quiet expensive latetly but it is great tourist attraction ... so I think any train that is 1-2 years new give boost and any that is 30/40 years and more give boost
PJayTycy wrote:What will be influenced by the rating (also from the FRD) ?
  • The possibillity to build stations/tracks in a city
  • The distribution of cargo among different transport companies (part of the transportation choice)
money income to ?
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

2 comments:
Steve wrote:We can own tourist attractions?
At that time I was kind of 100% convinced players would be able to own any industry. Never imagined somebody would not want that. But, that part has been decided against, so I guess the tourist-attraction influence is gone too (it was not on the meeting-list too).
ChrisCF wrote:I would suggest a desirability for vehicles. Rather than explicitly noting that Pacers are disgusting little things, rate them as having a low desirability, since it's not just pollution - passengers just hate the things anyway
That would be part of the loco's stats and influence the transportation choice, but how/why would it influence the company's rating?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

You mean it's not patently obvious? :shock:
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

If your company has a reputation for using old, smelly, useless vehicles, people will shun it in favour of a company that uses nice shiny clean new vehicles. Simple as that.
Grunt
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

SGrunt wrote:If your company has a reputation for using old, smelly, useless vehicles, people will shun it in favour of a company that uses nice shiny clean new vehicles. Simple as that.
OK, I agree the "image" people have of a company will decrease when they drive around in old smelly vehicles. But, this should not eliminate the vehicle from the transportation choice. If you put the "vehicle appeal" in the company rating too, I have the impression we are accounting for it twice.

eg: There are 2 possibilities for my route:
A: company rating = 80%, estimated time = 2 months, cost = 100$, vehicle appeal = 75%
B: company rating = 40%, estimated time = 1 month, cost = 70$, vehicle appeal = 50%

The general vehicle appeal would then be part of the company rating, but the vehicle appeal of the current train should still have an influence on wheter the people will choose it or not.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”