[FRDF] Who builds airports?

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Steve wrote:Lets not forget that these options ONLY matter on town airports. Airports in the middle of nowhere can be built and managed to the player's content!
I think that's crap (sorry). The fact that a town doesn't have authorirty somewhere doesn't automaticly render it nomansland. You might i.e. add an extra authorirty just for the areas between towns, like provinces, states or whatever you name it (see RRT series on that).

I'm also opposed to ANY local authority initiating airport construction. You could end up with 20 airports funded by the local authority, no money to buy planes and hence no use for your airports. I can live with the idea that local authorities construct (finance and build) airports though.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well obviously the town won't build 20 airports for itself. It'll build one when it's city sized.. and then maybe another on the other side when it grows bigger.

We could make it so when a town thinks it needs an airport, a message comes up "London is looking for investors for a new airport". Then a company would have to give some money up front, but would be exempt from taxes for the next few years at that airport. That would force the player to make use of the airport just to make use of the cash they spent. Other players could use the airport straight away though and the funding company wouldn't have to buy their own terminal straight away or anything.
I suppose the tax-free part could be passed to another company, if the original company was bought out. Think of it as an asset that's passed along.

Why do you need an authority in no man's land? The idea of these restrictions on airports is to prevent a town having too many of them. If the airport doesn't even service a town, it wouldn't provide any problems.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Steve wrote:Why do you need an authority in no man's land?
Reallity check : there is no such thing as no man's land.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Yes, but there are places which aren't right next to a town.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Steve wrote:We could make it so when a town thinks it needs an airport, a message comes up "London is looking for investors for a new airport". Then a company would have to give some money up front, but would be exempt from taxes for the next few years at that airport.
How can you match it with this:
Steve wrote:Has to be A.
Hyronymus wrote:
  • A Local authorities initiate, construct and own airports (problem: how to deal with cities that don't initiate at all?)
About the 20 airports: I never said these 20 airports would all be in 1 town. n the contrary, I meant that 'nationwide' 20 airports would be initiated and constructed but possibly noone servicing them. Maybe that didn't come through well enough.

Allow me to reverse this question into 'Why do we need nomansland?'.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

The airport are still initiating the want to build an airport. They just don't do it without a companies backing.

We would have nomansland to stop the map being one huge city. I though it'd be a nice thing about having bigger maps, more space in the country for stuff.
I initially meant places where airports may be needed. Perhaps it's not entirely unrealistic, but are you against the idea of players building small airstrips need industrys to take cargo around the world? These industries may not be in a town, so you can't expect a town to look after it for you.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm against the idea of nomansland, I prefer a system as in RT2/3 where you have a country/state rating too and hence a country/state authority.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:
Reallity check : there is no such thing as no man's land.
Nice to have some were between towns, where you can put your heavy network that towns, would complain about.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Ok, so maybe we do have nomansland. Still not enough people gave their opinion about who should build airports. Get informed before the meeting plz!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm all for option A.
With the comment, that every time an airport might be built by a city, every player is asked, "would you use this airport" and/or "will you fund this airport". I a player says "yes" to wanting to use it, there should be a penalty if (s)he doesn't use it. That (imo obviously) shouldn't be needed if the player has funded it. If no players want to use or fund an airport, the offer should stay open for anyone to take at a later date.
Obviously, it would then be stupid to say yes to the first "would you use" question, unless there is at least one other airport already.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

How can you access the left-over options and do you agree on having 1 airport per town?
jfs wrote:Obviously, it would then be stupid to say yes to the first "would you use" question, unless there is at least one other airport already.
That means you always have to fund the first airport or hope one of your competitors does. Or how does the 1st appear otherwise?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Perhaps when the first airplanes are invented 2 or 3 airports are built at the whole map, without asking the players/AIs. But after that towns first ask the companies before they build airports.

Another method can be, that they build airports themself, untill any town built airport last unused for 2 years. After that towns become more careful, and asks for garanties as jfs suggested befor they builds airports.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

You would need 2 airports, but you could just wait for a second airport to offer to build one, then accept them together. Perhaps some sort of timer after you accept, to see if another company wants to help out too, thus halfing the cost and sharing the benefits.

Airports could be built by the scenario creator, so as soon as you start a game you have 1 or 2 to play with.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I like Steve's approach.

Companies have to show some commitment before the airport is actually built. This "showing commitment" can be different things: promisses, renting contracts, ...

And Hyronymus, I would classify this as number A in your list too: Towns initiate, build and own the airport. They just make sure it will be used before it is build. Maybe you would say it's company-initiated then? I don't care what you call it, but it is the scenario I like.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If I remember correctly that was option G, the one I voted for. I thought my options for mutualy exlcusive and exhaustive :roll: .
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

[quote="Hyronymus""]G Local authorities own airports, players initiate and construct them (problem: you need a large bag of money) [/quote]
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

In Towns, mix of:
A Local authorities initiate, construct and own airports
C Local authorities construct and own airports, players initiate the construction
Outside towns:
Results disregarded. Re-vote in progress.

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”