[RFD] Vehicle breakdowns

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

jfs wrote:How about letting each engine have a "failure progress" counter (can't think of a better word) which is reset at each service? This would be reset to a slightly random value around an engine-defined average value. (Or maybe between an engine-defined min and max.)

Then (for reliability=N) for each game tick (each time the engine is processed) there is an N percent risk of the counter getting lowered by one. If the counter reaches zero, a failure happens. Then when it's decided that a failure happens, urzupator's "kind of failure" calculation is used. (Probably slightly modified, though.)
You have to include how much time that have eslaped since last game cycyle, as eles you will get less brakedowns on a slow computer, than on a fast.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

uzurpator wrote:Hyronymus: In my model each depot visit reduces maximum reliability - so the vehicle slowly wears itself out. There is no arbitiary "age" rating.
That means that sending trains to be serviced regularly is bad for your trains in not only lost time, but it'll break down easier too! I think the deteriation should only be from age and use rather than depot visits.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Steve - consider this:

A vehicle has 100 reliability. After ~150 days it is ~70. We send the vehicle to a depot -where it is serviced. The reliability is restored to 99.

Now we let it loose once again - and blah - reliability goes up to 69, restored to 98 etc.

When a vehicle visits a depot, then it cannot be restored to full reliability - since each service will slowly wear it out. Altho - there is a cap of, let us say, maximum drop of 4 in the last 12 months (reliability will not go below 96 in the first 12 months).

Altho - I'm open to suggestions. But really - I think that age has nothing to do with vehicle condition.

EDIT: OK - I played a bit with formulas. ) propose this:

Failure: (100-reliability)/1000
Brakedown: failure*(100-reliability)/1000
Catastrophy: brakedown*(100-reliability)/10000

If everyone wants to see - the results are in the xls sheet below
Attachments
reliability.xls
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Here's a PDF version for people without Excel.
Attachments
reliability.xls.pdf
(15.2 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

The maximum should go down from use. The easiest way to simulate it's use, is by it's age. What we want is a steady decrease for both max reliability and actual reliability. The maximum would go down at a much slower rate and would start at a vehicles set point (not 100).

If you could somehow store the amount of push the train gives everyday, you could alter the speed that both values decrease. But how do you do that?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Litle note: The more we store for each loco/train/whatever the less locos/trains we can have.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I agree with Steve. The amount of services shouldn't drop the maximum by itself. Another thing I certainly don't want, is a decrease because the engine was invented 30 years ago (I think TTD has something like that).

Maybe do it like this:
  • The max drops 1 per year.
  • Everytime the current rating drops beneath 70, 60, 50, ... remove an additional point from the max.
This way, regulary serviced engines can be used longer than engines that are only serviced once every 2 years.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Sounds good to me.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

- Needs summarising on forums and then vote.

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”