[REQ] Land Hovercraft

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

griffinrails
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[REQ] Land Hovercraft

Post by griffinrails »

Ok, so I just got this idea.
Aircraft have 2 sets of sprites, the plane and the shadow. While the plane always stays in the air, the shadow is left on the ground.
Now, if you were to take a plane, make the plane sprites invisible and replace the shadows with sprites from the SRN4 Hovercraft.
Tada! Land Hovercraft.
= STEAM TRAM viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87037 =+= CITY AND COUNTRY USA viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87054 =+= MAILCAR PATCH viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87071 =+= THE DECLINE viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87127 =+= NEW STATIONS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87191=+= DISTANT SIGNALS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87206 =+= AUSSIE LEVEL CROSSING viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87364 =+= BROAD GAUGE FOR LOCOMOTION viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87336 =+= OMNIBUS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=88862 =

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZYvWn ... T3EdQqUlKw
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [REQ] Land Hovercraft

Post by Captain Rand »

The "shadow" would ignore any land based obstructions, like cities, industries, trains etc, just phasing through everything unless some collision detection could somehow be written in..........

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
griffinrails
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by griffinrails »

That's... sorta what they're for. To glide over objects like water and ground. Rail lines could easily be glided over by a real hovercraft, but things like buildings would be a problem. It's more of an issue of the user's placement of the craft.
= STEAM TRAM viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87037 =+= CITY AND COUNTRY USA viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87054 =+= MAILCAR PATCH viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87071 =+= THE DECLINE viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87127 =+= NEW STATIONS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87191=+= DISTANT SIGNALS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87206 =+= AUSSIE LEVEL CROSSING viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87364 =+= BROAD GAUGE FOR LOCOMOTION viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87336 =+= OMNIBUS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=88862 =

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

griffinrails wrote: 16 Jun 2021 10:04 That's... sorta what they're for. To glide over objects like water and ground. Rail lines could easily be glided over by a real hovercraft, but things like buildings would be a problem. It's more of an issue of the user's placement of the craft.
Rail lines can be crossed by a hovercraft but trains can not. Everything listed by Captain Rand is also not crossable by hovercrafts so, no, that is not what they are for.

Your idea only works if you ignore all of those major problems or offload all the implications of your dirty hack onto the user by pretending that "the user just has to place their hoverports in places where the straight lines between them do not contain, nor will ever contain, trees, buildings, or other vehicles" is somehow not a major gamebreaking issue but just a teeny tiny glitch.
griffinrails
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by griffinrails »

There are THOUSANDS of mods that ignore rules like those, this is just an idea of how it could work. Take things like the Cable Car Mod, can't curve, can't have more than 1 car, and many more problems, but people still download and use it
(It's on Wisim Welt FYI)
I got locotool to work so I'll see how far my progress goes from there. This could be a reality, I'll see how far I get over the weekend.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”