Playing Locomotion of Mac Via A Wrapper - How to Mod

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

jelkins01
Engineer
Engineer

Playing Locomotion of Mac Via A Wrapper - How to Mod

Post by jelkins01 »

Hello,

The beautiful thing about getting older (aka turning 20) is that you become nostalgic about some of the games from your childhood. Thankfully I had a pretty rocking childhood because I was given Locomotion as a gift in grade-school. Now I am returning to the game in my college years and would like to become more involved and expand my game with mods and extra content. But I have a sort of a problem, described below:

I own a Mac, and have essentially Jerry-rigged a way to play Locomotion.

I own a digital copy of locomotion via my Steam account. I know how to get to the ObjData folders just fine, and understand the concept of modding. However, this is the issue I am experiencing.

Many mods require me to run .exe files, which I clearly cannot do because I am on Mac. Is there a way I can just get the files for the mods without running any sort of installers? I already have backup files of my entire game (because Im not an idiot) so I dont really care about the utility of installers.

Please help. If you need more details, or if I have not be clear enough in explaining my problem, please comment below.

Thanks!
Jelkins01
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Playing Locomotion of Mac Via A Wrapper - How to Mod

Post by NekoMaster »

jelkins01 wrote:Hello,

The beautiful thing about getting older (aka turning 20) is that you become nostalgic about some of the games from your childhood. Thankfully I had a pretty rocking childhood because I was given Locomotion as a gift in grade-school. Now I am returning to the game in my college years and would like to become more involved and expand my game with mods and extra content. But I have a sort of a problem, described below:

I own a Mac, and have essentially Jerry-rigged a way to play Locomotion.

I own a digital copy of locomotion via my Steam account. I know how to get to the ObjData folders just fine, and understand the concept of modding. However, this is the issue I am experiencing.

Many mods require me to run .exe files, which I clearly cannot do because I am on Mac. Is there a way I can just get the files for the mods without running any sort of installers? I already have backup files of my entire game (because Im not an idiot) so I dont really care about the utility of installers.

Please help. If you need more details, or if I have not be clear enough in explaining my problem, please comment below.

Thanks!
Jelkins01
I'm not only a part of the Transport Port Tycoon people here, but I also play a lot of Sim City 4 which also has a Mac Version but many mods for it are provided as an EXE installer.

One way many authors recommend getting the mod files for Mac Versions is to use File Juicer http://echoone.com/filejuicer/ Which appears to be able to extract just about any usable file from almost anything, including EXE files.

I don't know how it works or how to use it as I've never touched a mac before let alone run Mac OSX (I tried, but Mac OSX really doesnt like being installed on an AMD even if you have a modified Hackintosh build that supports AMD)

Another thing you could try is set up a virtual machine with what ever Mac OSX Virtual Machine software you can find (I believe Virtual Box has a Mac OSX port). From there set up windows (you can get windows 10 for free from Microsoft, though without a key/activation Windows 10 will only work for 30 days before locking up).

I imagine that even with a 30 day trial of Windows on a Virtual Machine, you shouldn't need anything more then just windows installed and the Virtual Machines drivers/tools to provide support for networking so you can download your Locomotion Mods, You will how ever need to have a copy of Locomotion on the virtual machine for most installers though.

Step 1 - Download and install Virtual Machine
Step 2 - Download and Install Windows on a virtual machine (refer to google/youtube for instructions)
Step 3 - Download and Install steam (so you can download and install Locomotion after)
Step 4 - Install your mods before the 30 day trial is up (unless you have a key or a way to bypass activation)
Step 5 - Copy/Overwrite your main install of Locomotion from the Virtual Machine version. (You may have to figure out how to set up network shares, or at the least have the Virtual Machine take over a flash drive to copy the mods to, and then disconnect the USB flash drive from the virtual machine to return it back to Mac OSX so you can retrieve your files)

I hope you understand what I'm saying here, also like I mentioned I've never used Mac OSX before so I can't help much.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
jelkins01
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jelkins01 »

I actually have an update!

Turns out I can download something called 'The Unarchiver' off the App Store (its free) and I can open .rar files just fine now. Also, its easier to download the files and do simple file replacements with the mod files rather than run the installers (for me anyways, Im pretty good at this stuff haha).

On the Virtual Machine: I think I am just going to run BootCamp and install a full version of Windows. The one nice thing about Mac is the hardware allows us to run Windows so long as we have a legit copy. Reason I haven't done this: I don't have a physical CD of Windows 7.

Cheers man, thanks for the reply! Nice to see this forum is alive and well.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

jelkins01 wrote:I actually have an update!

Turns out I can download something called 'The Unarchiver' off the App Store (its free) and I can open .rar files just fine now. Also, its easier to download the files and do simple file replacements with the mod files rather than run the installers (for me anyways, Im pretty good at this stuff haha).

On the Virtual Machine: I think I am just going to run BootCamp and install a full version of Windows. The one nice thing about Mac is the hardware allows us to run Windows so long as we have a legit copy. Reason I haven't done this: I don't have a physical CD of Windows 7.

Cheers man, thanks for the reply! Nice to see this forum is alive and well.
I imagine you can still use BootCamp with a copy of Windows 10 if there's drivers for it, and even still, so long as you have video and networking, unless your going to use Windows for anything else just having windows running period should be enough to mess around with mods.

Even still, you can always find a download of Windows 7 on the internet and use some tool to make a Bootable Flash Drive to install Windows off of (I have a Flash drive I keep around with a copy of Windows 7, and thats all its ever used for, its like having a flash drive version of the CD)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”