"_____ is not a .dat file" error in Locotool (SOLVED)

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

MGD
Engineer
Engineer

"_____ is not a .dat file" error in Locotool (SOLVED)

Post by MGD »

All

I'm attempting to edit some of the default, freshly installed objdata files and I keep getting the error message "<dat file location> is not a .dat file!". It opened the food.DAT file correctly but as I want to edit rolling stock that's kinda useless to me...

I have previously edited files when I had Locomotion many years ago without issue, but IIRC that was on Windows XP and I am now on Windows 7, so I am wondering whether I am missing a dependency or two.

I've also tested the 4F loco file in the locotool wrapper and it won't create new .DAT files either, so I don't think locotool itself is to blame.

Any suggestions as to a fix?

EDIT:

I think Atari has "tinkered" with the .DAT files when they released the Steam version as I have installed Locomotion via disc and the files now open fine.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "_____ is not a .dat file" error in Locotool (SOLVED)

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Locotool is not to blame, I've seen similar things with some of Plasticman's files. These files are protected for editing and therefore they cannot be opened with Locotool...I never seen this with original locomotion-files, but some creators (like plasticman) choose to create there dat.files in a way that they cannot be edited. This can only be done with some sort of program that overrules this protection, but I forgot wich program that was even tho I have used it before to edit these protected files and crack them...
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "_____ is not a .dat file" error in Locotool (SOLVED)

Post by Zakos »

MGD wrote:I think Atari has "tinkered" with the .DAT files when they released the Steam version as I have installed Locomotion via disc and the files now open fine.
Glad it's fixed. You'll get a similar error with modded files, as Emperor stated. Most files (including most/all of the megapack), however, will be fine.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”