Semaphore Distant Signal

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Harbon 1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Semaphore Distant Signal

Post by Harbon 1 »

Hi all,

I want to create a distant signal for Locomotion.

As for the colour of the signal, I guess I can use the original UQ/LQ PNGs when the .dat is put through locotool and just re-colour the pictures, or is there another way?

The second part is the coding of such a signal. All signals on the game are able to show a stop or danger aspect to the train and the train will be able to stop at the signal, distants only show a caution and a clear aspect, so is there a way to make the signal 'invisible' to trains? Or a way to take away the ability for a train to stop at the signal?

Now it has been done before by MjD, however, the picture he teased us with didn't let us see any functionality of the signal. I have messaged him about it but he never replied because like a lot of the users on here, they no longer visit the forums.

I hope someone can help, I'm going to start trawling through the code and having a go at some prototypes in the meantime.

Cheers.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Semaphore Distant Signal

Post by Zakos »

The wiki list of variables gives us this. It's not much, but you could possibly mess with the unknown values.
Harbon 1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Harbon 1 »

Thank you Zakos for the link, it has helped me understand how the signals work much more.

I used the Semaphore (UQ) as a base, and changed the state to 7:

Code: Select all

4 = 2 aspect (Clear/Danger), 
7 = 3 aspect (Clear/Caution/Danger), 
10 = 4 aspect (Clear/Preliminary caution/Caution/Danger)
Changing field_0[5] to 7 means that it tales graphics from the US semaphore for the clear position (vertical), with (I assume) the 'clear' position of the UK semaphore becoming a cautionary aspect.

As it seems I will be unable to make this purely a distant signal, it will have to be a stop signal as well.

In real practice, the distant is only able to be cleared once all of the signal box's home & starter signals are clear so I will use the 4 aspect coding, so that danger, one yellow and two yellows the signal remains 'on'. I will duplicate the danger state PNGs so that the signal will only clear to a green when at least two of the next signals are clear.

However, I am going to try using 1 state as a value to see if that will work first :D
Harbon 1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Harbon 1 »

UPDATE:

I have a problem with the PNGs, I need a way to keep the signal still through the first three phases of the four aspects (ie R, Y & YY) and I have tried two different things.

The first was to copy all of the PNGs where the signal is 'on' and change the location of the PNGs in the code taken from the 4 aspect signal, this meant it turned into an old crossing gate through the last two states (YY & G).

The next was to copy the 'on' states in the coding, and renumber the code so it is continuous, this meant the signal turned around while coming 'off'...

Any ideas anyone?

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”