Vehicle change colors

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

roda2324
Engineer
Engineer

Vehicle change colors

Post by roda2324 »

Hi everyone, I'd like to repaint vehicles to change colors to company colors, but I don't know how to do that.

My idea is:

I have Locotool.exe, and when I use it, I get folder with .PNG pictures of all sequences of vehicle move. I tried to repaint all sequences from original red (Deutsche Bahn) to purple, which is used by original Locomotion vehicles...

... but when I create the .DAT file and use it in game..., all vehicles are still red. When I tried to "unpack" .DAT file, the vehicle was still red. I don't know why...

I send you an example:

This is original PNG file

This is new PNG file modified by Photoshop

... and this is PNG from "unpacked .DAT folder...

I tried just everything, I deleted original .DAT file and cleared whole Locotool from any other files, but I still get red train...

Can someone help me? I allso don't know, if I'd really repaint it to purple I'd get magic-coloured train with custom company color...

Thanks for help.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Vehicle change colors

Post by Zakos »

Make sure you re-compile the .dat file after the changes have been made, as they don't save automatically. I've made that mistake a at least once.
roda2324
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roda2324 »

Hi, thanks,

but i don't know how to do that... Maybe it's caused by my bad English.

I'm sorry That's allso my first modification for Locomotion. Can you explain it to me in more detail?

Big thanks.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

You drag the file over Locotool to get the folder of images, right? So when you're done with the images, drag the whole folder over Locotool to save your changes.
roda2324
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roda2324 »

Yes, I understand..., I tried to drag the folder of images over Locotool, but it doesen't work, but when I drag the .XML file over Locotool, the train is stil red.

..... BUT:

I tried to do an experiment:

1/ I changed the color of my train to purple.

2/ I overpainted new-colored train with purple-colored brush.

3/ I drag .XML file over Locotool and then I drag the .DAT file over Locotool again to get the image, which I'll see in the game and I got red train with red streak.

I think the .XML must contain the deffinition of color palette for the final .DAT file. When I'll change the code, I think I'll get the purple-coloured train... But how to do that? I'm not a programmer...

If someone can help me I'd be greatful!
lsbc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lsbc »

The palette for loco has to be exact and doing so many sprites for a 1st mod is a challenge. I don't use Photoshop as it costs a bit to much but if it does batch file work it may make things easier.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

roda2324 wrote:I think the .XML must contain the deffinition of color palette for the final .DAT file. When I'll change the code, I think I'll get the purple-coloured train... But how to do that? I'm not a programmer...
You won't actually have to change any of the code, just the sprites.
roda2324
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roda2324 »

Ok, thanks, but does anyone know, where can I get the exact Locomotion color palette?
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

You can find the palette here.
I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”