LExpand: Thrillville109's Locomotion Expanded Remake

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Thrillville109's Locomotion Expanded

Post by Thrillville109 »

Thrillville109 wrote:Back to 1830, yes, vehicles are there. But not the train itself is in there yet.
Scratch that, 1825.
I'd be making Locomotion Expanded if I didn't despise using WALLY.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Thrillville109 wrote:I am converting the RCT Train Models, Got as far as ACTUALLY CONVERTING THEM, because renaming 512+ bitmaps to the game's standards, so I need someone to help me on this.
Scratch that as well. I tried that, ended in the Ten-Wheeler's Graphics being different in a Windows 8 Sorta Way.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:Better do something about those overpriced loco's, there's no way you can make that kind of money in that specific era unless you are willing to cheat that kind of cash...It's a nice mod and a nice idea, but I wait with this one until the 'normal' completed version is released :lol:
That might require me to actually buy the rights to Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, because that would be hard-wiring the executable to extend the life of the economic system to start in the year 1800 instead of 1900. That's one of the risks of creating a mod like this. It's experimental. And besides a money problem, complete success.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Why start a game in 1800...It's still a very nice idea and all. Why don't you just convert the trains you need for your mod and use them from 1900 and further ? I'm sure trains from that era can be found for MSTS, and with the program to convert them you can also change the costfactors and buying-prices. If you don't know how to do that, I'm sure that there are people here (like Walter1940) who are willing to help you...

I wish I could be of some assistance, but the last time I converted some trains was three years ago, and I lost track completely on how to do that. I must go back to school if I want to do that and study the whole progress again...But because I have a family and two young kids I don't have the time anymore to do those things.

I hope you can still complete your mod...even with the limited needs at your disposal. Like I said, it's still a nice idea !

(And by the way...I play a lot of RCT2 at the moment, and those locomotives from that game don't look that nice anyway. They look a lot more like toytrains instead of the real work...But that's my opinion ;) )

Good luck !!
lsbc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lsbc »

What program did you use to get the RCT2 pngs?
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

lsbc wrote:What program did you use to get the RCT2 pngs?
I truly forgot. It's been so long since I did it.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:Why start a game in 1800...It's still a very nice idea and all. Why don't you just convert the trains you need for your mod and use them from 1900 and further ? I'm sure trains from that era can be found for MSTS, and with the program to convert them you can also change the costfactors and buying-prices. If you don't know how to do that, I'm sure that there are people here (like Walter1940) who are willing to help you...

I wish I could be of some assistance, but the last time I converted some trains was three years ago, and I lost track completely on how to do that. I must go back to school if I want to do that and study the whole progress again...But because I have a family and two young kids I don't have the time anymore to do those things.

I hope you can still complete your mod...even with the limited needs at your disposal. Like I said, it's still a nice idea !

(And by the way...I play a lot of RCT2 at the moment, and those locomotives from that game don't look that nice anyway. They look a lot more like toytrains instead of the real work...But that's my opinion ;) )

Good luck !!
I'm trying to make it look like the default vehicles in the game without having the looking exactly like them, and hand-made vehicles look out-of place for this game, and MSTS only looks "OK" when it's been put through a Team Fortress 2-type filter or made to look "realistic" by the creator, like trainman's sets.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

glenjimen wrote:Well, since no one will really describe what this is, I downloaded it, tested it and will now give my opinion...The cost of things seems way to high. I was playing Pebble Smasher, the cost of the smallest loco was about $2 million in 1830..... locos don't even cost $1 million until 1950.
Sorry, still under construction, and inflation is HARD-WIRED INTO THE EXECUTABLE, to go from 1900 to 2100.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Is this all for show? I can't imagine that the game stats would allow practical use of a locomotive from the mid-19th century. I'd equate it to running a train line with trucks that weigh 100 times what they should.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Zakos wrote:Is this all for show? I can't imagine that the game stats would allow practical use of a locomotive from the mid-19th century. I'd equate it to running a train line with trucks that weigh 100 times what they should.
To tell you the truth, that was the speed trains went back then. 50 MPH was about the fastest speed of a commercial rail vehicle, and I was actually doing it right because there was a slum in the early 1900's ,because of an automobile boom, a max speed decrease on trains from that era. And I didn't even know that was real! So if I seem wrong on all that, maybe I've just been loosing a little luster from my giant luster silo filled with compacted luster oil. And the freight cars were default to have existed since time itself began, so those were not edited.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

And no, this was because every game (besides this one) made by Chris Sawyer has had an expansion pack that laid waste to the base game and its rules of playing the game.
Ultor's Coal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ultor's Coal »

Would you use the Clipper as the starting boat in 1830? Or would you create another ship?
"Why? Why not! Its your adventure anyway man"
-Q FLSB 4/2013
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Ultor's Coal wrote:Would you use the Clipper as the starting boat in 1830? Or would you create another ship?
It seemed logical that if there was a boat already there that is fine, keep using that thing until it seems like it is conflicting with something else.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I would want some other boat there to space it out, perhaps just a different clipper.
Ultor's Coal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ultor's Coal »

While looking for Narrow Gauge trains on Walter's website, I found some earlier model ships (Steamships and a large sailboat)
Perhaps you could try to implement that
But of course you would need to ask the creator of those if you could(I believe they were all made by the same person)
Historically, the ship was the best way of transporting stuff back then, I might be wrong so don't quote me on that!
Trains weren't exactly strong or fast
Horse and buggies were slow
No aircraft
So you might want some more ships to choose from
"Why? Why not! Its your adventure anyway man"
-Q FLSB 4/2013
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

[quote="Ultor's "Don't Quote Me On That" Coal"]While looking for Narrow Gauge trains on Walter's website, I found some earlier model ships (Steamships and a large sailboat)
Perhaps you could try to implement that
Trains weren't exactly strong or fast
Horse and buggies were slow
So you might want some more ships to choose from[/quote]

You are wrong, the [commercial] steam locomotive became much more efficient than the boat in just 25 years, or 1848 (to be exact), when the American 4-4-0 and the Crampton 4-2-0 were the ones to get you around, and were much cheaper and more widely available to the people who wanted to start a rail service in that time.
And by the way,
in the game the steamship comes in 1910, so I'll leave it at that.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

This has new features, and no, not the airport, that's from a mod by Steve the Airport Overlord. Look close at the planes. That new feature will come soon.
Attachments
Screenshot7.png
This has a new-- I will say no more.
(485.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Zakos wrote:I would want some other boat there to space it out, perhaps just a different clipper (Thrillville109 already did that).
Do you ever see an AI use a boat often? Chris Sawyer didn't put many boats in to begin with, so why should I? If I did, it wouldn't be as productive as using a train or road vehicle. The only reason I am harsh is because I am tired of everyone wanting boats.
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

I've download your mod and have some questions.

- The 767, 777F and A300 is the same plane. Why?

- Some models do not fit with description. For example, the Camelback.

- I have the feeling that you've used some of the original vehicles. Is that right?

- The internal name is wrong
capture_07072014_082852.jpg
capture_07072014_082852.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
- A plane with rackrail? (I do not know if this is normal?)
capture_07072014_082046.jpg
capture_07072014_082046.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
http://www.walter1940.de
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
- From MSTS to Locomotion ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/msts2loco/
- Wally ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/wally/
- xml-modding ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/xml-modding/
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thrillville109 »

Walter1940 wrote:I've download your mod and have some questions.

- The 767, 777F and A300 is the same plane. Why?

- Some models do not fit with description. For example, the Camelback.

- I have the feeling that you've used some of the original vehicles. Is that right?

- The internal name is wrong
capture_07072014_082852.jpg
- A plane with rackrail? (I do not know if this is normal?)
capture_07072014_082046.jpg
Because the 777, the 777F, and the A300 (767 and A300 are getting new models) were hard to make look different back in the early beta, so yes, they are based off of the original vehicles. Simply because barely anything can replicate Locomotion's graphics quite like Photoshop (Which I didn't have when I began this project) and Wally (Which I figured out how to use when making the American 4-4-0) And I will fix what I can about the problems with the- Oh.... It has a severe illness where it will not read quotations quite right, at least in locotool. So don't worry about that. I'll fix the 377 rack-rail problem as soon as the 767 and A300 get the new models mentioned above finished. Thank you for your- what tool did you use to get the pics? Locotool doesn't have an interface.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”