[W.I.P.] The Food-Mod Final Version

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [WIP] A new Food-Mod

Post by Sir BNSF »

I'm also willing to give this a test seeing as I'm just getting back into Locomotion. I was looking into this mod a while back and can't wait for it to be released. Keep up the good work!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Too many testers, not enough modders :P
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Hello everybody,

Once again, I have been asked to test one of Emperor Darth Sidious's mods. In this case, "A new Food Mod". My report is as follows:

When I first opened the scenario, I had a good look round the map, and I could see straight away that there was a lot of work to do. The goal is to deliver 500,000 tons of food in 100 years.
I'm not going to explain how I started as I don't want to give to much away. It's up to the player to find out for themselves. The player will need, as usual, a route to start accumulating the money so as to build elsewhere. To those of you that are familiar with the Peninsular map should know that very long lines are required to achieve the goal that has been set. This gives the player the opportunity to design a nice looking network. So carefull planning is essential.

I found the mod very interesting and absorbing to play, which is enhanced by the new resources that have to be acquired. So if you have the time you will enjoy this map. (the Long Station Patch, LSP, is highly recommended), in fact it really is essential. There's no aircraft used in this scenario, so there won't be any problems with the LSP.

In summing up, I would highly recommend this scenario, as difficult as it may be. It is worth the download. EDS has put a lot of time and effort into this mod, as most of us know, he always does. So if you are looking for long game play, this is it.

My rating: 9/10.

btw: don't forget to backup your ObjData folder.

Happy shunting,

Greyfox.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer

Post by lsbc »

Howdy all,

I also tested this mod, however not having the long station mod installed it took a 2nd try to get going. The oil needed was my downfall on 1st attempt along with having a similiar mod of my own made the requirements confusing at first. On my second try I added a few of my own vehicles (it didn't change the game play but made it easier for me since I knew which vehicles were hauling what cargo and could see at a glance what was where etc.). Long hauls are the norm and good planning is a must. The graphix are great and the challenge was too. I can see a few very minor problems with the game play. With plant and animal type industries requiring cargo to start producing it means you options for start points is limited.

Overall the mod is great the long hauls made for slow start but once production got going the game play improved dramatically.

Overall Mod rating 9/10
Mod in scenario rating 8/10
Graphics rating 9/10
Ease of install 9/10 ( don't like auto installs manual installs prefered by me
Will I recommend it.............ABSOLUTELY
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Thanks guys,

I'm still waiting for Sir BNSF his review but if he takes his time that's fine with me, after all Rome isn't build in one day either...I'm still busy with the readme that will be included with all of the things the mod will have, who made what and a part for the permission that I got for some parts of the mod. I'm also not ready with my own test-game, and I think I should build this scenario with real Oilwells instead of the city-counterparts that I have recently released in another topic...

The city-counterparts are mostly to be used when I release a scenario with both the food-mod and the new version of the valuables-mod because I need 16 industry-slots for that scenario and the city-counterparts for the goldmine, silvermine, diamondmine, coalmine, iron ore mine and the oilwells...

That will be a big scenario for wich I will probably use the Serpent, Industry River, Soldier Summit or US Square Map...All of these maps where made by Zimmlock and I have his permission to release them with my mods. I also would like to use the Shermann Hill, but since that one is made by BlueBeetle and he's isn't around the forums anymore I can't get his permission.

It won't be long before the Food-Mod (and the new version of the Valuables-Mod) will be released now...so a little more patience please. I need to put the dots to the I's and try out some small adjustments before releasing this, but thanks to the test-players it's now not far away from releasing.

Regards,

Erik
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Hi EDS,

No prob with the test, thanks for the compliment. I hope you can use the Soldier Summit scenario for your next Mod, I just love that map.

Regards,

Greyfox.
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

I could try that Greyfox, the point is that it needs (next to my two mods) a whole lot of other mods as well to make it work. And since the automod from Plastikman is pre-selected for the Soldier Summit I don't know if all of the cargo's will fit into the limit of 32 cargo's...I'll go and check it out otherwise it will be the "Mod-Free" version of The Serpent.
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

This review is long overdue so I better get right to it. When you first load up the map you need to decide where you're going to start your massive rail network. There's few places to start and I admit that the first time I tried I started at an industry that didn't produce anything. My bad! :lol: But once you get started it's loads of fun and a great challenge (Especially for me since I like to play Locomotion for the gameplay and tend to start myself off with a ridiculous amount of money). The LSP as always is a must and adding in plenty of vehicles from the North American Megapack made it that much funner. The industries themselves are well thought out and cargo flows smoothly from one industry to the next. There's a few industries that will obviously drain your bank account to connect to the main line (Oil almost rendered me bankrupt) but once these lines are filled with trains and the flow of traffic starts getting going it all works out fine.

It's a great mod and I can see myself using it in many of my scenarios in the future. EDS has done an amazing job on this one and I'd recommend it to anyone who plays Locomotion and wants a good challenge.

I give the mod a solid 9.5/10

Outstanding work EDS! :bow:
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thanks for this fine analysis Sir :lol:

Knowing that it all went well, I shall release this mod by the end of the week. When it's released I go check the last things for version 3.1 from the Valuables Mod and release that one (including a scenario wich needs both mods) on the other topic.

So thnxsss for now and hope to hear from you people soon !

Regards,

Erik
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [RELEASED] A new Food-Mod

Post by Zakos »

Will test it out soon!
rebirth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rebirth »

Hello EDS,

Since I am a big fan of your other work, I was looking forward to try this new Food Mod. But now, starting it with the included scenario, I have a little problem. Or maybe I'm just missing something, so I was hoping you can explain something to me.

Starting the mod, I knew from reading this topic, some industries need fertilizer to produce. So I thought to start out the scenario with producing fertilizer. For that, as I read here, I need oil. But I can't find any oil on my map, there is nog oil producing industry as far as I see. Is this a problem, is it just my game that has this problem, or am I missing out something, where I can find or produce oil on an other way?

Regards,
ReBirTh
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hello ReBirth,

Thnxsss for the compliment. Did you download the latest version of the Food-Mod ? I will put another one on the first topic-page. But the latest one also has the city oilwells in it. They don't come as regular industry-buildings.

You can find three locations in the scenario with oilwells:

Here....

...and here.

The produce enough oil to get you started, but they don't increase or decrease their montly production because it are city-buildings. I hope this is now clear, and wish you fun with the mod.

Kind regards,

Erik
rebirth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rebirth »

I did get the file from the first topic, but I to be honest, I don't know if it was the last version or not :oops:
But I did not have the buildings marked on your map, so I guess I did not have the latest version.
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try again.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

The new scenario with the Food-Mod and Valuables tested by Greyfox and lbsc

For me only one thing remains...Releasing it.

I make things a little more easy by decreasing the goal from 250.000 tons of food in 50 years to 200.000 tons of food in 50 years.

When you download the scenario from this topic it is called: "The World needs Food and Money". The cargo's from the Food-Mod are to be focused on and with a goal of delivering 200.000 tons of Food in 50 years there's plenty of work.

The scenario will be released today in the first post.
wanderer28
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wanderer28 »

Hi there.

Was trying to play this, but then it wouldn't load because "COALGND" was missing. So I installed a bunch of other tools to help me out (I just installed Locomotion on my new computer after 1.5 years of inactivity) and realized that "COALGND", "OILGND" nad "STONEGND" were missing.

I thought these corresponded to "COALMGRD" and "OILWLGRD" so I changed all of those instances (including the picture folder, and all the paths and variables contained in the xml) to "COALGND" and "OILGND". For "STONEGND" I used "ROCK1". I don't know.

So now my game won't load past the "loading..." part. The trains move across about a third of the track, and they will alternate between the diesel and steam variants. Luckily, as recommended, I have a backup ObjData folder.

Not too sure what is happening, but if this is still in development then pardon me for spouting something meaningless.

If not, I would be deeply grateful if somebody could shed light on this issue (like, where do these "COALGND" and "OILGND" dats come from? Was I downloading an outdated rar yesterday?). :bow:

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

wanderer28
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

@Wanderer28: I suggest that you have a word with Emporer Darth Sidious as those are from his "Serpent" scenario. I'm sure he will help you.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hello Wanderer,

I truly don't understand what you are talking about. The mod is finished and at the moment not in development. I downloaded the latest version just a moment ago, and the three files are in the archive.

I think it has something to do with the scenario, after looking at it with Locossa I found this:

--- Ground ---
COALGND : COALGND.dat
GRASS1 : GRASS1.DAT
GRASSBR : GRASSBR.DAT
IOREMGRD : IOREMGRD.dat
OILGND : OILGND.dat
ROCK1 : ROCK1.DAT
ROCK2 : ROCK2.DAT
SAND1 : SAND1.DAT
STONEGND : STONEGND.dat

It seems that I used the coalground, oilground and stoneground as well in this scenario. That shouldn't be a problem. Now there are two things that I can do. I can change the scenario and get these grounds out of the game or people can download the needed grounds.

I've made three types of ground myself, the OILWLGRD, COALMGRD and IOREMGND are made by me (based on the ones made by Lyronic from the German forums wich I used as an example). I made these three myself so that I could include those needed grounds without using other people's work.

Now that I know that the grounds from Lyronix are slipped in my scenario I understand why this doesn't work. Therefore you must download his grounds to make the scenario work. Here's the link: http://www.wisim-community.net/index.ph ... tem&id=951

I hope this works and that the problem is now solved...

Regards,

Erik

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”