[Discussion] Sketchup, Blender, 3Dmax and other 3D programs

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [Discussion] Sketchup, Blender, 3Dmax and other 3D progr

Post by K.Y.Chung »

73790 wrote:Ok since im using sketchup(not pro) i import into blender, but after that how to i get it to a DAT File?
If you have imported the model into Blender successfully, you have already finished the most difficult part already since the process is pretty tricky :lol: Then you need to setup the scene in Blender: adding camera (make sure the camera use orthographic projection instead of perspective one) and lights as well as fine-tuning the scene parameters. Be careful on the orientations of the model.

I think it should takes some time for you to make your blender model ready so I won't go any further up to this moment. Just tell us when you are ready :wink:

I've attached a sample scene for you. I've put a small cube which the size is equivalent to a unit cube (i.e. 1m x 1m x 1m) for you as a reference to adjust the scale of the model, but it is not a must to follow my scale.

Do not ask me anything about modeling and scene setup in Blender. If you want to learn about it, just have a look at wikibooks:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
Attachments
default_scene.blend
The sample scene
(371.02 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
000.png
The rendered image if the orientations are correct
(57.75 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Make sure it really shows the head of the vehicle when you set the 3D view into "Front Ortho"
Make sure it really shows the head of the vehicle when you set the 3D view into "Front Ortho"
blender_screenshot.png (114.12 KiB) Viewed 11706 times
Visit Nanyue Express for my railway car drawings
Coaster.Roaster
Engineer
Engineer

Dumb question

Post by Coaster.Roaster »

Probably a dumb question I know :| but how do you create a 3d model for loco? :S

Cheers,
Ryan
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Dumb question

Post by Spacek531 »

Well, first you need a 3D model making program. Once you get one, fiddle around with it or look at some tutorials and make your train model. Once that happens then depending on what you use there are specific steps.
Help for Windows 7
RELEASED: Amtrak Cascades
Give me train ideas, they and their babies just might turn into a mod.

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
Coaster.Roaster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Coaster.Roaster »

Any good 3D model making programs that are used? I know I sound like a total idiot but I want to make sure I do it right and all that

Cheers,
Ryan
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

I've noticed that its all really a matter of preference, and what you get used to. I use sketchup and blender because both are free and easy to use. There's lots of them out there. And its not necessarily just finding one, its getting used to one and be able to use it. At least for me, modeling is not too easy and I still have lots to learn. But I figure if you just keep at it you'll get better like anything else. So if you have little experience with 3d modeling you won't make it "perfect" or "right" the first time. I mean I've created some but they are far from extraordinary.

Here's some that I know of:

Sketchup

Blender

3D Canvas

3ds Max
cprailes44ac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cprailes44ac »

G Max sir. Works quite well based on a little experience :)
Brony, Railfan, Canadian, Locomotion. that is all.
Manuel18
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Manuel18 »

Also i work with Abacus TSM and Gmax, but i prefer use Abacus TSM is payware only for MSTS that is the only trouble, but is very easy of those 5

Google Sketchup and Abacus TSM [ Easy ] [ Take 15 minutes to make a simple train ]
But with Gmax and 3ds Max [ intermedium ] [ Take 30 minutes to make a simply train ]
3D Canvas and Blender [ i dont tested yet , but i think are a bit hard ][ I don't Know ]

^^all that depends how you can handle it!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198029896773]Image[/url]
Demolater432
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Demolater432 »

Anyone proficient with using gmax for Locomotion because my models won't load into msts2loco without "Error 9 - Subscript out of range" "Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument". It's not the software since i ran a premade model through both gmax and msts2loco without a hitch which leaves me with either that i'm missing something (model component/external component) or i made a mistake with my model, problem is i don't know. Please don't tell me to try searching or i'll flip my lid, i've spent days searching for an answer without the slightest bit of luck.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Well there could be a few things;

- Your model has some problems/faults
- The .s (Wich is the only file it can read) is corrupted, so try to remake it.
- You could try to render it in gmax instead, and if i am correct the angles and such are listed in this topic.
- And last but not least; Error could exist between keyboard and chair ;)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by K.Y.Chung »

I've just found that my rendering script for Blender no longer work in v2.63 because of some changes in the Python API and here is the revised version :) In fact I dont' like using v2.63 and it is a problem that the Python API changes frequently so I need to modify some of my plugins to make them work as they have been no longer maintained by their original authors :cry:
Attachments
auto_renderer_3.zip
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
ConrailHeritage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ConrailHeritage »

Hi, does anyone know how to use Blender to make sprites for loco? Or is there anything easier? thanks, a viedo tutorial would be very appreciated
K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by K.Y.Chung »

Good to hear someone would like to make mods using Blender :D Did u prepared any finished 3D models ? I can show u the steps then if u have one
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

ConrailHeritage wrote:Hi, does anyone know how to use Blender to make sprites for loco? Or is there anything easier? thanks, a viedo tutorial would be very appreciated
All the help you need as far as creating models in blender
http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by K.Y.Chung »

Blender Noob to Pro on Wikibooks is also a good guide for newbies in Blender
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
ConrailHeritage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ConrailHeritage »

Can I have a flat-out tutorial on how to make a locomotion engine? And how do i use auto-render? Thanks in advance.
K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by K.Y.Chung »

ConrailHeritage wrote:Can I have a flat-out tutorial on how to make a locomotion engine? And how do i use auto-render? Thanks in advance.
Before going on into the steps for preparing the sprites, you need to polish the modeling skills using blender. Did you finished modeling your engine? If not, make it first. If you are a newbie for blender, read the blender noob-to-pro as your starting point, using my default scene as explained at:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 59#p966760

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”