[UPDATE] Boundary Fence

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

[UPDATE] Boundary Fence

Post by Krakr »

UPDATE! Now includes two versions. See Readme for details.

Are you tired of those pesky peeps messing up your landscape? Are they destroying your farms and forests, and building roads across your RR tracks every few squares? City expansion out of control? Tired of trying to protect your layout with butt-ugly one-way roads or tram tracks on bridges? Then try a Boundary Fence.

========================
BOUNDARY FENCE V2.0
An add-on for Locomotion
Author: Krakr
rar file attached
=======================

INSTALLATION
[NEW] Several options are available. Details in readme file.

After installation, [NEW] two versions show up on the Roads menu in the Scenario Editor. One, or both can show up on the in-game menu at your option. It builds the same way as a road except that the fence cannot cross roads nor tracks. But roads and tracks cannot be built THROUGH it either. Like a road, terrain that has the fence on it cannot be altered until the fence is removed. But, only you can remove or alter the fence. The AI cannot.

========
FEATURES
========
Impenetrable.
Indestructible by the AI.
Can be built anywhere a road could go except across roads or tracks.
Can be tunneled and/or placed underground.
Can be built on slopes (steep slope only).
One version has Tee and Cross-shaped intersections.
Square and diagonal corners.
Can build long diagonal runs by alternating L&R diag. corners.
Cheap to build.
No modification of TRACKST required.
Does not modify nor replace any original files.

====
USES
====
A. Establish an uncluttered right-of-way and prevent excessive crossings.
Allow road crossings only where YOU want them (and look good doing it).
B. Prevent encroachment and destruction of agricultural industries.
C. Establish a clear zone around industries, or reserve exclusive rights
to an industry when playing against the AI.*
D. Reserve downtown city land for future on-ground stations or routes
before city build-up makes it impractical or impossible .
E. Limit city expansion and/or direct the path of expansion.

* See readme for further details. Additional screenshots in archive.
Fence shape & pathing examples.
Fence shape & pathing examples.
Boundary Fence Examples.jpg (235.55 KiB) Viewed 13795 times
Excessive AI crossing attempts thwarted.
Excessive AI crossing attempts thwarted.
Provo Crossings.jpg (287.86 KiB) Viewed 13795 times
Boundary Fence.rar
Download This.
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 1309 times
Last edited by Krakr on 20 Feb 2010 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Corral those nutty peeps with a Boundary Fence
Replace wimpy steamer sounds with Steamer Sound Kit
Tattoo
Director
Director

Re: [REL] Boundary Fence

Post by Tattoo »

That sounds great and looks good too. I'll be trying that in my next game. Thanks.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

you sir are awesome. DL'd.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

An impressive debut! Welcome.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

finnaly an intelligent n00b
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

rd - they are a newb not a n00b.
taffypride
Engineer
Engineer

Post by taffypride »

awesome work....

That's another fine addition to my Loco install.. :mrgreen:
Suede
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Suede »

Very good! thank you!

One question as Im to tired to test it now, are you/AI/city-council able to build bridges over the fence?
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

if they can build over railway lines I presume they are capable of building over/around this. it's to stop urban sprawl and thing I believe.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

he means can a bridge be built over it
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Well, its a "track" if you realy want some fun, you could edit an object to drive on it. And as far i know you can build over almost everything.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Is there any way of making an option for this to be "invisible" ? I don't particularly want a fence around all of my alpine villages :)
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

jake.grimshaw wrote:Is there any way of making an option for this to be "invisible" ? I don't particularly want a fence around all of my alpine villages :)
Use plastiks version. (See my .datCrawler then click on "Others" the boundary markers.)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by C3805. »

Hell yeah! Been waiting for something like this for a while now.
Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Krakr »

Is there any way of making an option for this to be "invisible" ? I don't particularly want a fence around all of my alpine villages :)
Yes, of course. Just stub all the sprite loading commands in the xml and recompile. You can use the "Invisible Road" (available for download somewhere) as an example of the settings required for each of the sprite commands.
he means can a bridge be built over it
Yes, with the usual 32 tick requirement. However, the only time I've ever seen the AI purposely bridge a road or a track was when it was attempting to build a station. This is addressed in the readme file in regards to reserving exclusive rights to an industry.

I've never seen a city make any attempt to bridge the fence as an expansion technique, and I've been using the fence for nearly a year.

The exception is in hilly terrain where the road being built by the city was already at least 32 ticks higher or lower than the fence to begin with, and there was an available landing site for the bridge on the other side at the same elevation. But you can usually predict when this might happen far ahead of time and take steps to prevent it, usually with just one or two fence sections.
Well, its a "track" if you realy want some fun, you could edit an object to drive on it
Probably not. In order to do that you'd have to make changes to the fence, and add it to TRACKST. But then, if you did all that, it wouldn't be the Boundary Fence anymore would it?
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

it's a road right? you could make a road vehicle...
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

make children run up and down the fence with sticks,

Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Krakr »

noofnoof wrote:it's a road right? you could make a road vehicle...
If you can make a vehicle that travels on it, without changing bdryfenc.dat, and not adding it to trackst, then have at it cause I'd like to see it...

>> Challenge issued<<
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Krakr wrote:
noofnoof wrote:it's a road right? you could make a road vehicle...
If you can make a vehicle that travels on it, without changing bdryfenc.dat, and not adding it to trackst, then have at it cause I'd like to see it...

>> Challenge issued<<
uhhh
Screenshot50.png
Screenshot50.png (72.21 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

Umm...

It is a road. by nature, any truck flagged as "anytrack" (default) can drive on it.
The anytrack flag in the xml just keeps the town from building it.

This is similar to the telephone pole mod for TEH. ...

Looks like a fun toy..
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Krakr »

HAR! HAR! Now that's hilarious!!

But wait a minute . . . I thought we said "... travel on it ..." Those trucks seem to be driving to the side of it, on the ground. Okay, that's nit-picking I guess, but I wonder why they won't place in my game?? (see screenshot).

The screenshot won't capture the ghost image icon nor the down-arrow, but I tried several different ways and always got the same message.
This is what I get when I try it.
This is what I get when I try it.
't place.png (570.75 KiB) Viewed 13380 times
Hold on a minute... I think I know what's going on here. Your example was in a new game with the fence added in Scenario Editor, right? All my use of the fence has been to existing games - added with the Saved Game Editor. It didn't occur to me there'd be any difference, but . . . :?:

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”